• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should Con dealers beat/match online prices?
3 3

149 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2024 at 11:30 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I am not a convention goer - but I always figured that prices at cons were lower than online/Ebay/Auction House prices? Is this not correct?

It varies wildly.  I've found cons to be great for finding mid and lower-tier wantlist items cheap, but hot selling items get a boost from the excitement of holding the item in-hand, instant gratification, drop cash and walk away with it.  You get the assurance of being able to thoroughly inspect it before you commit, which has some cash value.  Someone careful and good at grading can really find some hidden gems that would be much cheaper than buying online already graded, or risking some dingbat ebay seller sending it in a manila envelope to get mangled.  There aren't a lot of places where you may have multiple copies of prominent keys to compare and choose from, or obscure Golden Age books.

I was just thinking about this topic while eating my breakfast earlier. A dealer at the end of the day should provide deals to customers to make sales. Who doesn't want a sale? The most important thing in business is relationships and people will become longtime shoppers from you because they like you. If they don't they will avoid being a customer. The more you give the more you get. I don't mind discounting a little in person to make a sale that takes more effort online. Just an alternative spin that hasn't been discussed.

On 3/17/2017 at 9:52 AM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Or you talking about graded books? Raw keys I can understand because it gives the buyer the ability to see the book in person. Graded books should be at fmv or below. Period. Buyers have a choice. Yes dealers have to pay to to have a booth and travel expenses, but buyers have con admission, travel expenses as well. If deals are better online for graded books what is the incentive to go to a con to buy them other then being able to get them right then and there without shipping? Seems like the majority of people responding to this thread are dealers.

Yes, we are all in this together! Both dealers and attendees have expenses traveling, good point. I hope to see you sometime soon at a show or a sale this summer!

On 3/2/2017 at 6:56 AM, Artboy99 said:

might depend on what I paid for the book?

The biggest issue in my business model is currency exchange risk and the value of a book can fluctuate a lot over just a few months.

My issue is when I have a $100 book on the wall for $50 and then the buyer asks for a discount on top of that after it's already half off lol.

A small premium to have it in hand and walk away with it? Sure. Maybe 5-10% of what I consider FMV.  But I'm certainly not going to pay more than that. I'm not going to take into consideration a dealer's costs to set up any more than I expect them to take into consideration my expenses. 

I'm not big time dealer with lots of expensive books to sell, but I price with discount in mind and know how low I'm willing to go on any given item - bigger discounts for people spending more money, and people who have bought from me previously has worked for me thus far. And yes, I will absolutely match an eBay price if it seems legitimately comparable - I don't expect folks to overpay for the privilege of buying it from me when they could get it online for a much better price. 

On 4/24/2024 at 2:06 PM, littledoom said:

My issue is when I have a $100 book on the wall for $50 and then the buyer asks for a discount on top of that after it's already half off lol.

When they do that say, "Oh wow that's a $100 book.  I must have been tired when i priced that one..." 

Then pull out a pen and mark it up to $100 and say, "Thanks for pointing that one out!"

On 4/24/2024 at 5:33 PM, Turnando said:

When they do that say, "Oh wow that's a $100 book.  I must have been tired when i priced that one..." 

Then pull out a pen and mark it up to $100 and say, "Thanks for pointing that one out!"

I would feel obligated to honor the price once it's quoted. I'm not a fan of the vendor raising the price on a book for higher either lol. Just don't be a cheapskate lol.