• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fair market value for restored Action #7 3.0?
1 1

79 posts in this topic

Yeah I am watching this auction - Philip Weiss' (now run through his wife and family as he has passed).  That Action 7 sold for $17,000 (w/o juice).  It is listed as:

Important Issue with restoration. Tan Pages. Apparent VG+. Rice paper restoration along the interior spine covers, and spine of pages.

They are usually fairly accurate on their grading in my experience.

5 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Saw this sell today at Proxibid. WOndering if it's the same copy the OP is talking about.

Action 7.jpg

You think it sold for a bargain price?  Seems like it but not sure what work was done it.  To me, it doesn't seem that rice paper was the only thing..  I'm sure pieces added and color touch were involved and cleaning.  Looks too clean with the interior being tanned.  Thought it was xerox covers too at first.

2 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

You think it sold for a bargain price?  Seems like it but not sure what work was done it.  To me, it doesn't seem that rice paper was the only thing..  I'm sure pieces added and color touch were involved and cleaning.  Looks too clean with the interior being tanned.  Thought it was xerox covers too at first.

I agree that I think someone got a bargain.

I did not even know about that auction site.

Think I need to look it up, if they sell books like that.

doh!

If you're asking me about the bargain price, I have no idea whatsoever.  I don't collect Actions or DCs at all so I have no clue.  I know it is a desirable book but one for my interests.

8 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Remember with Weiss, you can bid through them via phone and the BP is I believe 15% (maybe 17 or 18) and if you pay with check or MO, there is a 2% discount.  They have always been great to deal with for all of my transactions over the years. 

Their live auctions are almost always run through both Proxibid and Liveauctioneers.  In reality, you could bid against yourself across all sites lol

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

So the book sold for $17k onsite. I wonder if onsite buyers pay the same 20% buyer's premium on top of that because I know online bidders pay that premium.  So book sold for over $20k with juice.

33 minutes ago, telerites said:

Remember with Weiss, you can bid through them via phone and the BP is I believe 15% (maybe 17 or 18) and if you pay with check or MO, there is a 2% discount.  They have always been great to deal with for all of my transactions over the years. 

Their live auctions are almost always run through both Proxibid and Liveauctioneers.  In reality, you could bid against yourself across all sites lol

Yep you are correct with the BP in Weiss auctions (15% buyer's premium with 2% discount if check, MO, etc.).  I've won a few books from them in the past and all have been positive.  Just wished I was able to win the auction. Oh well.

8 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yep you are correct with the BP in Weiss auctions (15% buyer's premium with 2% discount if check, MO, etc.).  I've won a few books from them in the past and all have been positive.  Just wished I was able to win the auction. Oh well.

I was going after one of the Filmation Star Trek framed cel lot of two but I passed.  They went a bit higher than I was willing as it would have been just a nostalgia buy and don't really collect them but do pick p ST:TOS memorabilia from time to time. 

2 hours ago, telerites said:

Yeah I am watching this auction - Philip Weiss' (now run through his wife and family as he has passed).  That Action 7 sold for $17,000 (w/o juice).  It is listed as:

Important Issue with restoration. Tan Pages. Apparent VG+. Rice paper restoration along the interior spine covers, and spine of pages.

They are usually fairly accurate on their grading in my experience.

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Saw this sell today at Proxibid. WOndering if it's the same copy the OP is talking about.

Action 7.jpg

Since the consensus seems to be that the $17K price was a bargain, what would a reasonable price be for this book now that we've seen the cover and the restoration details as noted.  hm

Hard to tell what the fmv is for that copy until it is properly graded by a 3rd party like CGC. So many variables at stake besides the obvious.

Possible scenarios can include: trimming, married covers because interior was described as having tan pages but covers are like newsstand fresh, degree of restoration which can include cover lightning, etc. All those can impact the value sometimes at a significant way.

14 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I think a Mod 3.0 would fetch around 30-35K at auction.

right about 1/3 of FMV of a unrestored 3.0 copy if the resto was Professionally done (thumbsu

Edited by Primetime

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

DK is a Weiss Auction regular :hi:

I asked for pictures of the interior spine of this book. It appears multiple wraps are completely split at the spine due to brittleness and have been put back together.

Photo Mar 03, 3 51 18 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 03, 3 52 04 PM.jpg

7 hours ago, Ameri said:

Why would anyone use that site and not the regulars ( CL, CC, HA ) ? (shrug)

Edited by Gotham Kid