• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the $9MIL Todano comic book, money laundering story?
2 2

16 posts in this topic

If you haven't read it, it's a wonderful read.

Comic Conman A true crime tale of comic books, corruption, and a $9 million vanishing act

Well, there seems to be a new addition.

DA investigator sentenced to five years for comic book theft

You couldn't write fiction this good.

So... whatever happened to all of the books?   How do people know which was a Tadano book and which was not.  The All Star 3 is an easy one but what of the numerous other lesser GA books that should have originally sold for a few hundred and instead sold for a few thousand? 

21 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

Great read. Thanks for posting.

Wizard Chicago seems to be the place where stolen comics turn up or get stolen from. 

i was there when the books turned up. It was the story of the show.

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

So... whatever happened to all of the books?   How do people know which was a Tadano book and which was not.  The All Star 3 is an easy one but what of the numerous other lesser GA books that should have originally sold for a few hundred and instead sold for a few thousand? 

Some books resold through Heritage.

I thought that the books were being held as evidence but I don't know for sure. Maybe some GA guys have the answers.

7 hours ago, lhcomics said:

Wizard Chicago seems to be the place where stolen comics turn up or get stolen from. 

You know, the more I think about this the more you are right. I helped recover a stolen MMC #10 a few years ago for Bill Thade / Fearless Readers

Guy stole it at C2E2 and then a few months later tried to sell it at WW Chicago. :screwy:

I've also heard of other stories.

18 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Some books resold through Heritage.

I thought that the books were being held as evidence but I don't know for sure. Maybe some GA guys have the answers.

It would be interesting to see what happens to the books now that the cases involving all of the accused have seemingly drawn to a close.  Does Todano own the books? Did they have some type of policy where they were financially compensated for being defrauded and some insurance company has the books?  (Didn't the insurance company own Nic Cage's copy of Action 1 once it was recovered?)

Basically this is a collection in limbo of some pretty special books they might not see the light of day for many more years.