• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Bring on the likes of the Henchman! :whistle:

I think everyone is tired of your endless sarcastic remarks (sarcasm is effective in moderation, obnoxious otherwise) and your indirect attacks by insinuation. Sarcasm and insinuation only led to confusion, and do nothing to contribute to a positive resolution of whatever's bothering you. If you have something to say, say it. If you have a problem with someone, tell us what that problem is. Otherwise, spare us the vague innuendos and drama and just keep it to yourself. (thumbs u

Nothing's bothering me at all. And there are no innuendos or drama. I suggest that you ask yourself why you think you speak for more than yourself. (thumbs u

Thanks for taking the point I was trying to get across out of context and run with it. My POINT was that if you just have your cute little thumbnail in the announcement forum and someone says "hey how much do you want for book x", because it was listed WITHOUT a price. Then realize you have another member asking "how much for book x" you begin a bidding war. And correct me if I am wrong, but you do have to have "prices you are willing to accept" in the sales forum. And since it is "only" an announcement thread, creates a loophole.

So THAT would be my point. The whole purpose of this is to not have another Ebay or C-Link. But basically fixed price sales for board members. Did I miss that ? Or did I come across clearly. I am not going against anybody in particular, and being general discussion. I was giving my 2 cents on the discussion. And I do really enjoy this part of the forum and would rather not see it abused.

Also I agree with foolkiller on the whole preferred customer etc.. And if someone asks if you have a certain book, sell it. But if somebody has seen somebody's announcement thread, and waits for the thread. Only to find the book they were waiting for was sold previously via PM, I would imagine they may be dissapointed.

That's why when I have announced books I have told buyers to wait until it posts. I will tell them the grade, the book and the price. Heck even approx when I will list the book...but I always direct them to the threads.

R.

What's the point of posting in the announcement thread if you already have a scan, grade, and price? If you have all that, just start the thread already... (thumbs u

I don't insinuate anything. :)

It's obvious you do but then don't follow through. Most people reading threads know this now. It's all good. My point has been made.

I'm done here.

R.

Divad:

I like you both here so I hope you'll appreciate it when I say this. You do insinuate. You do ask questions and then not participate in further discussion. You do have a high level of sarcasm.

If you think something needs to be said, then do it. One liners and vague hints just infuriate people. Others may not agree with a straight forward critique but at least we'll all be on the same page.

I like you as well, and I do appreciate it. I say what's on my mind. It is for others to attach any relevant signifcance to it. There is no need to respond to ad hominen attacks by those who choose to do so. Some members feel the more they write, the "righter" they are. I happen to feel the opposite. I don't need to explain the obvious. If some people don't "get it", then so be it. I have nothing to prove here.

How many pages of "discussion" would have followed, had I came right out and said so-and-so amps ups his scans to the point of ludicrousness? The reds are burned, the yellows scalding, and the tell-tale sign: the scanner recognizes off-white and tan as colors - so when told to saturate at 20% or more . . . it does. There's no innuendo, the scannor knows what he is doing is wrong.

That's why when I have announced books I have told buyers to wait until it posts. I will tell them the grade, the book and the price. Heck even approx when I will list the book...but I always direct them to the threads.

R.

And thats how it should be. But I have seen a few where some of the books are gone and never get posted. No sport in that...

Why do you selectively answer questions?

(shrug)

Whay do you care? (shrug) Please put me back on ignore :)

Because you poke and probe and then never follow up.

hm That's what my prom date said!

I hope he was cute at least. :hi:

What's the point of posting in the announcement thread if you already have a scan, grade, and price? If you have all that, just start the thread already... (thumbs u

Because maybe you would like to add more books ? And why would anyone post scans of books they havent gone through ? If you take them out of the bag to scan them, why not grade them ? No point in doing work twice.

Agreed. The announcement thread was set up to eliminate "thread hype", where people would post a sales thread and then not follow with any books until page 7.

I've stopped pre announcing my sales threads and have had the same amount of success with sales (sometimes almost 100% sell through) that I had before. This place has been fantastic to deal with people and I've been much more willing to cut deals than ever before. I receive PMs from people during the threads often with, do you have this book? or what else is coming, i'll buy it before you list it, and I am happy to sell it to people when they inquire.

Pre sale sales are a reality of the comic book world it seems, and I will be honest, repeat customers and friends do get some preferential treatment in that regard.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this but it's not something I do and it's caused an annoyed forum member or two. Once I have my list of priced books and all the scans ready, then everything will go in the sales thread, no presales.

I mainly do this to prevent all the good stuff getting taken beforehand, leaving nothing but mid-grade krap for the thread. Of course, this is only a problem for those of us who sell krap. Not sure Brian has this issue.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this but it's not something I do and it's caused an annoyed forum member or two. Once I have my list of priced books and all the scans ready, then everything will go in the sales thread, no presales.

I mainly do this to prevent all the good stuff getting taken beforehand, leaving nothing but mid-grade krap for the thread. Of course, this is only a problem for those of us who sell krap. Not sure Brian has this issue.

Actually, from a strategic point of view, I totally understand what you are saying and I think it's a good point. For me, I normally will not sell $5 or $10 books -- though I have from time to time -- if I sell something that's "good" that I was planning to put in the auction, I try and pull something else that I might be willing to part with.

I'll be honest: my line of thought is often times borne out of lazyness. If I only have to ship to 4 or 5 people as opposed to 10, the better for me. Frankly, with my work schedule, shipping often gets delayed, and sometimes as a surprise to me. I hate doing that to people. So if I can presell some stuff to a good customer I'm okay with that. But that's why I stopped "announcing" what I was going to sell in another thread or posting my sales thread before all scans were loaded. If I pre sell a book, it hasn't been announced yet generally. Also, there's probably a total of 10 guys here who have bought lots and lots of books from me, and I like to show some form of appreciation for their loyalty. If I have a high grade 100 pager, I like to sell to Greggy... etc.

I've come across and continue to come across many books that I love to offer here -- as well as under copies or books I've owned for a time and now will move them on to others.

I think everyone is tired of your endless sarcastic remarks (sarcasm is effective in moderation, obnoxious otherwise) and your indirect attacks by insinuation. Sarcasm and insinuation only led to confusion, and do nothing to contribute to a positive resolution of whatever's bothering you. If you have something to say, say it. If you have a problem with someone, tell us what that problem is. Otherwise, spare us the vague innuendos and drama and just keep it to yourself. (thumbs u

Nothing's bothering me at all. And there are no innuendos or drama. I suggest that you ask yourself why you think you speak for more than yourself. (thumbs u

I'd like to speak for myself when I say "I really wish you would stop with the passive-aggression. It drives me nuts and is really beginning to wear on me, which is a shame, because we've always been friendly."

Now, you can say "It's not passive-aggression," and I will believe you, but I have to say it's how I'm interpreting it (thumbs u

Agreed. The announcement thread was set up to eliminate "thread hype", where people would post a sales thread and then not follow with any books until page 7.

That's why I started it. It wasn't meant to contain scans, prices or lists of specific comics....because that's idiotic. It's an announcement thread. People should do their selling in a sales thread. I know, super complicated!

When a board member is selling books that are clearly overgraded, would it really be bad form to point it out in a courteous manner within the thread?

Honestly, it would not bother me if someone posted in one of my selling threads (not that I sell that frequently) that a book(s) looked a little off from the scans.

I guess I'm asking because after reading the probation thread today regarding Henchman, and seeing a couple scans of books that were obviously overgraded by more than a full grade (probably 2 - 2 1/2 grades), I wondered if someone shouldn't have said something about it within the thread.

I know the current thinking is that you should send a pm to the seller, but what about your fellow board members who may not be as observant or have a 30" high resolution flat-panel displays to see every small detail, or who may even have images turned off for faster browsing?

It just seems to me, especially with regard to the Henchman situation, that it would, from time to time, be helpful if one of the more experienced board members who might be browsing the sales thread said, "the book you posted with parallel stress lines up and down the spine, thumb creases, impact creases, and blunted corners looks to be a little lower than 8.5. You might want to put that one up in the grading forum to get some good, helpful opinions on the grade." :)

Would that be frowned upon? It seems the current method of using pm's benefits the seller and leaves our fellow board members/potential buyers out in the cold.

Any thoughts?

In this instance it would have been helpful. But this is really the exception since it appears the books were without question overgraded But what about more marginal instances.......1 grade....a half grade.

Opening Pandoras box and inviting grading critiques in sales thread can get very ugly very quickly. Not sure if you've noticed but there are some board members with considerably less tact than yourself.

Edited by cd4ever

• Administrator

Sharon,

I know. I think the announcement thread was a good idea as Andy first suggested it, and so did many others. But like most good ideas around here, they were quickly abused. If we as a group, can't follow simple guidelines, then perhaps the best suggestion is to do away with them. :)

-d

I'll be the first to admit that I really only look at problem threads rather than trolling through lots of threads looking for minor violations, but I always get a sense of urgency and anarchy from your posts on the topic, divad, that I have trouble tracing to any substantial practical problems.

I click around a few threads and I see mostly scans and prices, etc. etc. I've heard a few times that everything it going to hell in a handbasket around here, and maybe I'm missing something, but I'm having trouble seeing it.

Sharon,

I know. I think the announcement thread was a good idea as Andy first suggested it, and so did many others. But like most good ideas around here, they were quickly abused. If we as a group, can't follow simple guidelines, then perhaps the best suggestion is to do away with them. :)

-d

I'll be the first to admit that I really only look at problem threads rather than trolling through lots of threads looking for minor violations, but I always get a sense of urgency and anarchy from your posts on the topic, divad, that I have trouble tracing to any substantial practical problems.

I click around a few threads and I see mostly scans and prices, etc. etc. I've heard a few times that everything it going to hell in a handbasket around here, and maybe I'm missing something, but I'm having trouble seeing it.

hm

:baiting:

we demand blood, Mr. Architecht

:popcorn: