• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I pretty much do the same thing. I generally will not buy from someone that hasn't established themselves as a part of this community over a certain period of time. If I do break that rule, then I have a whole checklist of things I go through to help me decide whether to buy from that person or not. I don't think I've ever broken that rule though.

Regarding a waiting period, I've never used UBBthreads, but in other forums that I've worked with, in the admin you can set up rules that would lock certain users out of specific areas of the forum. You could also set up user levels which might work to do this as well. The FS forum would be locked to anyone who didn't have at least 25 posts and/or 14 days as a member.

I can't comment on the failure to pay thing. I always pay and I've been fortunate in that everyone I've ever sold anything to has paid very promptly as well.

My only problem with not being able to view the FS forum is that the FS forum is how many people, I presume, get drawn into the forum in the first place.

Erich, I hadn't even noticed that there were several new people selling, until you mentioned it, because I seem to skip anyone's name I don't know from the threads. I had one problem last year with a new person and I suppose it turned me off, so now if I happen to click on a newbie's selling thread, I check their posts, if they have ONLY posted in the PGM book threads, and the selling threads, I wander off...I bet a lot of others, do the same thing..

I'm not sure that we can enforce something like a waiting period...I know the VCC says that ANYONE can join in...and that is a nice place to start, but perhaps Arch could add to the rules for posting, a suggestion that you join in and get to know people for a couple of minutes before selling? Or perhaps when someone asks for suggestions, we make that a suggestion?

As for buying? People here forever fail to pay, so why restrict a new person?

I pretty much do the same thing. I generally will not buy from someone that hasn't established themselves as a part of this community over a certain period of time. If I do break that rule, then I have a whole checklist of things I go through to help me decide whether to buy from that person or not. I don't think I've ever broken that rule though.

Regarding a waiting period, I've never used UBBthreads, but in other forums that I've worked with, in the admin you can set up rules that would lock certain users out of specific areas of the forum. You could also set up user levels which might work to do this as well. The FS forum would be locked to anyone who didn't have at least 25 posts and/or 14 days as a member.

I can't comment on the failure to pay thing. I always pay and I've been fortunate in that everyone I've ever sold anything to has paid very promptly as well.

Well, certainly most people do pay immediately, just as most of the new sellers are very nice:) (thumbs u I guess my point was, that a 2 week waiting period, won't matter as far as payments go:)

Yeah, I just figured it should go both ways to be fair and also because I think it would make it easier to regulate. That way, you could just state that no transactions are allowed in the FS forum - buying or selling - until certain conditions were met, i.e 25 posts/14 days as a member.

It would also be easier to set up from a technical standpoint in the website admin.

My only problem with not being able to view the FS forum is that the FS forum is how many people, I presume, get drawn into the forum in the first place.

You could view, just not post. I do understand what you are saying though, that may especially be true in regard to the VCC. hm

You could view, just not post. I do understand what you are saying though, that may especially be true in regard to the VCC. hm

It would be like when a mod posts something and we can't reply to it. We could also specify that they could not do there first 25 in the test thread.

Regarding the new/low post count member issue, has there been an epidemic of such people who turn out to be bad sellers? Not that I'm against having a restriction (although I'd disagree with a minimum post count that's in the hundreds or more as has been kicked around in the past), but unless there has been a history of such members being more likely to be bad sellers, imposing such restrictions may be a case of a solution that's in search of a problem.

I'd rather that effort be directed to making all members initially and periodically be required to acknowledge each of the marketplace rules, with check-off boxes for each rule. The software would disallow posting in the marketplace unless the ckeck-off list is completed.

Regarding the new/low post count member issue, has there been an epidemic of such people who turn out to be bad sellers?

Not an epidemic, but there are quite a few, and the major issues with scams always revolve around newbies, as long-terms members have a rep to protect.

And don't be fooled by the lack of posts highlighting these problems, as most people are too embarrassed about being taken in by a low-post scammer to ever outline it in public.

Regarding the new/low post count member issue, has there been an epidemic of such people who turn out to be bad sellers?

Not an epidemic, but there are quite a few, and the major issues with scams always revolve around newbies, as long-terms members have a rep to protect.

And don't be fooled by the lack of posts highlighting these problems, as most people are too embarrassed about being taken in by a low-post scammer to ever outline it in public.

I was just wondering because I'm currently trying to work through a problem in completing a deal with a relatively new member. It might very well be an epidemic that's mostly unreported.

All I can say is that a significant majority of the people on the Probation List seem to be "board members" that have never participated in the Boards in any meaningful way. In my mind, they`re not even board members.

The whole benefit of buying and selling to board members is that there`s supposed to be a sense of community and people wouldn`t want to do a bad deal for fear of harming their reputation in this community. But that harm to reputation means nothing to people who aren`t, and never were, a part of this community.

Personally, everytime someone puts a name on probation that I never even heard of, I just wonder why they even tried to do a deal with that person in the first place. They might as well be doing a deal with some anonymous person on eBay or in the classifieds, and should be prepared to take the risks accordingly.

All I can say is that a significant majority of the people on the Probation List seem to be "board members" that have never participated in the Boards in any meaningful way. In my mind, they`re not even board members.

The whole benefit of buying and selling to board members is that there`s supposed to be a sense of community and people wouldn`t want to do a bad deal for fear of harming their reputation in this community. But that harm to reputation means nothing to people who aren`t, and never were, a part of this community.

Personally, everytime someone puts a name on probation that I never even heard of, I just wonder why they even tried to do a deal with that person in the first place. They might as well be doing a deal with some anonymous person on eBay or in the classifieds, and should be prepared to take the risks accordingly.

But isnt everyone a first time seller in the marketplace at one time or another? Someone has to take a chance on them sooner or later. Its like trying to get your first line of credit...noone will risk you because you have no established credit....but thats what your trying to do.

If post count were the deciding factor anyone can pull the same that goes on around and here already with established members and post nothing but gremlins for days on end.

We should continue to police the threads as we have. Bad deals reported and summarily those people are avoided. Its worked so far I see no reason to change it.

Whats with all the multiple selling threads lately by the same seller?

I thought we were not supposed to hog front page space with multiple threads?

(shrug)

I find it kind of irritating unless its something special which deserves its own thread.

Sorry just needed to rant a little.

The idea here is to keep the constant chatter out of the Probation Thread. That way it stays shorter and more accessible. If you want to discuss what's going on in Forum Sales, try to do so here.

There's been a surge of graemlins in the Forum Probation thread and that stuff really has no business being there. Bring it to this thread, if you must bring it at all.

Andy

Whats with all the multiple selling threads lately by the same seller?

I thought we were not supposed to hog front page space with multiple threads?

(shrug)

I find it kind of irritating unless its something special which deserves its own thread.

Sorry just needed to rant a little.

Some have been deleted by the mods. (thumbs u

I thought the gremlin warfare was long ago silenced.....it is one of the worst parts of any thread when it happens.

Like This?

:baiting::gossip:

:baiting:

I thought the gremlin warfare was long ago silenced.....it is one of the worst parts of any thread when it happens.

Like This?

:baiting::gossip:

:baiting:

:lol: go back through my 10,000 posts and count how many are only gremlins and I'll be matching up quite poorly against the gremlin masters........pm me a list of new GGA GA books for being difficult today.