• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I thought the announcement thread was designed to inform buyers of a future sales thread and allow them to plan to be on site for sales threads of interest. It makes sense that some buyers would p.m.sellers to get a leg up on everyone else. Kinda like people showing up at garage sales before the official starting time.

Correctomundo! (more or less) :)

I hate it when people start threads hours before a book is even posted and make us wait to attract attention, but I also hate it when I miss books because I didn't know someone was having a sale. I figure we need a thread where people can say: "I am going to list pre-code horror on Tuesday night, check back in if you are interested".

If anyone has threads that are upcoming, that want to post to make sure people know what's coming, say it here.

Think we need a thread like this? It's hard to announce upcoming sales because it's either "spam" or "carnival barking", depending on the forum...

New topic:

With all due respect to my fellow board members, isn't a post in the announcement thread to "gauge the interest" and asking for PM's tantamount to using the Marketplace Forum to offer a private sale, and thereby avoiding any thread posting and requisite guidelines? Seems to me that there have been an awful lot of "micro-sales threads" embedded within the anouncement thread of late, many of which have never "matured" to actual sales threads.

We all know who is going to come down on which side of this discussion point, but nevertheless . . . thoughts? :grin:

I have thoughts. I think.

Never mind.

Oh wait.....yes! I agree, the marketplace is for selling books.

Ummmm........What was the question again?

:sorry:

No worse than flipper/presser/dealers hogging all the books. ;)

That is the Lords truth right there.

:) Don't be dismayed, lil' Shootydog..., you'll get to see the books again in shiny new slabs, and they will be several grades higher - rest assured you can have them after you've maximized the potential income in someone else's pockets :) - and that's a good thing..., or so I'm told..., by the vocal majority around here...., :)

New topic:

With all due respect to my fellow board members, isn't a post in the announcement thread to "gauge the interest" and asking for PM's tantamount to using the Marketplace Forum to offer a private sale, and thereby avoiding any thread posting and requisite guidelines? Seems to me that there have been an awful lot of "micro-sales threads" embedded within the anouncement thread of late, many of which have never "matured" to actual sales threads.

We all know who is going to come down on which side of this discussion point, but nevertheless . . . thoughts? :grin:

Never mind.

:makepoint: Seriously though, where are all the heavy-hitters? :popcorn:

New topic:

Never mind.

:gossip: Stalking the new girl in class. :gossip:

New topic:

Never mind.

:gossip: Stalking the new girl in class. :gossip:

Gotta admit . . . she's pretty cute :grin:

Divad didnt we discuss this over the summer, and I remember it getting heated with a few. People using the anouncements to pre-sell books with far less effort.
Yes, but in a slightly different context . . . anywho, let me rowse the rabble lol

Divad didnt we discuss this over the summer, and I remember it getting heated with a few. People using the anouncements to pre-sell books with far less effort.
Yes, but in a slightly different context . . . anywho, let me rowse the rabble lol

I never even pay attention to the announcement thread as it's so useless to me. (shrug) Guess there are a lot of sales I'm missing out on.

I never even pay attention to the announcement thread as it's so useless to me. (shrug) Guess there are a lot of sales I'm missing out on.

It's where the Sharks hang out . . . lol

It's where the Sharks hang out . . . lol

Accurate (thumbs u

New topic:

For what it's worth, I had noticed it too about a week or so ago. I figured they were just fishing for interest.

Sorry I had to run out and wanted to extend my previous post.

I am sorta new to this forum and was wondering what the proper etiquette was on unsold items on closed sales threads. Is it acceptable to just PM the seller or should I make the request on the closed sales thread? Should I just wait until the items are offered again? I am not sure how that is handled so I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks

so, unless you are actually buying something.....all discussion should refrain from the active sales threads, right?
Not in my threads. How else would I stay awake that late.