• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

These are COMIC BOOKS people, hello....the very name implies a bit of kidding around, if we were selling medical supplies or weapons, it would be different.

Could you please explain this bizarre statement?

You're saying that spending $10K on medical supplies should be treated with complete professionalism and dignity, but a $10K transaction on a GA book should be conducted like a drunken 10-year old with zero professionalism and even less tact?

:sumo:

When have you sold a $10K book on here? :insane:

Speaking as someone who has watched a sales thread drop to the second page in less than 8 hours without chatter,

I voted for chatter, I understand some people that think the sky is falling doc.gif but most threads will survive longer with a little friendly banter.

forum_nazi.jpg

Friendly banter was never the issue. It got to be too much. I can understand bumping a thread or asking a seller if he has a certain era book, but not every 30 seconds.

The majority of the chatter I get is from the same people buying so it's all good. And non-chatterers frequently pop in to buy what they want. Perhaps some are put off by it and stay away but that's fine. Overall it seems to work out and I enjoy it. I have no desire to keep it 'professional'. Of course, I'm not selling very expensive books either.

I do recommend keeping the thread updated and listing the unsold books in a single post at the end, that can make things easier for the casual viewer. .

That's the problem in a nutshell. Check out Blue's thread, it's like the Marketplace has turned into Comics General - why not post all that drivel in the appropriate area?

Marketplace: An area where goods and/or services are bought and sold.

The majority of the chatter I get is from the same people buying so it's all good. And non-chatterers frequently pop in to buy what they want. Perhaps some are put off by it and stay away but that's fine. Overall it seems to work out and I enjoy it. I have no desire to keep it 'professional'. Of course, I'm not selling very expensive books either.

I do recommend keeping the thread updated and listing the unsold books in a single post at the end, that can make things easier for the casual viewer. .

cd4ever runs the funnest sales threads, bar none. :sumo:

Whenever John starts one, I generally give up on any productive activities, pour a drink and settle in for a fun, laugh-filled night. beerchug.gif

I don't always buy much, but I always have a great time! :acclaim:

I hate to agree with JC, but the title of this thread is

General Discussion: Keep the other threads clean.

I second that.

I don't completely disagree with that, I just think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Yes, some people have posted way to many graemlins, but looking at Blue's thread, the ones slamming the graemlin poster were taking up more room than the original graemlin post. A polite PM would probably been enough, rather than a full blown discussion in the thread, both parties are guilty.

To most of us, this is a hobby, sure there is some serious money exchanged at times, but it still should be considered a hobby, and hobbies should be fun. This is a collectors website, not a retail business site. If you run off everyone that enjoys this as hobby, who will you sell to? Just one dealer to another dealer? That will be fun, I bet there will be no record sales in that situation, just lots of price haggling PM's back and forth. Nothing wrong with dealers, but if not for the people that do this as a hobby, they would dry up on the vine.

If you do decide to police posts in this fashion, where do you draw the line? One guy eating popcorn enough, 2 is too much? Are we going to ban people for eating too much popcorn???

I second that.

I don't completely disagree with that, I just think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Yes, some people have posted way to many graemlins, but looking at Blue's thread, the ones slamming the graemlin poster were taking up more room than the original graemlin post. A polite PM would probably been enough, rather than a full blown discussion in the thread, both parties are guilty.

To most of us, this is a hobby, sure there is some serious money exchanged at times, but it still should be considered a hobby, and hobbies should be fun. This is a collectors website, not a retail business site. If you run off everyone that enjoys this as hobby, who will you sell to? Just one dealer to another dealer? That will be fun, I bet there will be no record sales in that situation, just lots of price haggling PM's back and forth. Nothing wrong with dealers, but if not for the people that do this as a hobby, they would dry up on the vine.

If you do decide to police these posts in this fashion, where do you draw the line? One guy eating popcorn enough, 2 is too much? Are we going to ban people for eating too much popcorn???

So what do you suggest? It is not like you are not in favor of drawing the line, you only want to draw it in a different place than we do.

When a seller starts a thread, his goal is to sell books, not to provide a discussion forum. That is already provided elsewhere. Sure, some minor discussion is generally fine, but I saw a thread the other day where it was 2 entire pages with no books posted, no I'll take its, just talk.

I for one am not trying to police the board. I would simply like to look at the books without having to sort through pages and pages of nothing. I think most sellers would like people to be able to find their books easily as well. And I am not against chat and graemlins, but just use some judgement and discretion about your posting.

I second that.

If you do decide to police posts in this fashion, where do you draw the line? One guy eating popcorn enough, 2 is too much? Are we going to ban people for eating too much popcorn???

Its all in context and moderation. Sure, I guess I could have handled it better. I really could have not stooped and made a few comments. For that I am sorry and apologize without reservation.

The fact that I posted in Blue's thread, and a few others, to address grinders graemlins, should have only been one post.

This hobby is fun, lots of it, and it isnt fun for me to have to read through endless graemlins, do you have this ASM, or ^^, or whatever. Again, it goes back to moderation.

One could also stop for a second and think that if a couple of boardies bring up something that perhaps someone should stop and think about the message. People have called me out before on stuff and ive tried to see their point. grinder didnt. And is taking my initial post and going throughout the boards and making a joke out of it. It just shows that he doesnt get it. Whatever. Im not the only one who's nerves his antics have gotten on. I know i diluted my point with the classless posts I made, but the original point had and has merit.

I don't have an answer, if I did, I would probably be making tons of cash as a consultant or a psychiatrist.

I just know that both sides are right, and wrong at the same time. lol

It is a grey area that is going to be tough to change, aside from removing the icons totally, and that would be boring. Not to mention losing the "I'll take it" icon which would result in no sales.

The people posting the icons probably need to ease up on them a bit, and the others need to lighten up a bit and enjoy life, it's way to short to worry about little smiley faces.

I am probably guilty to a degree of posting too much stuff, but it was only Cloudofwit's sales thread, so who cares. :roflmao:

cd4ever runs the funnest sales threads, bar none. :sumo:

Whenever John starts one, I generally give up on any productive activities, pour a drink and settle in for a fun, laugh-filled night. beerchug.gif

I don't always buy much, but I always have a great time! :acclaim:

I agree, John does run the best sales threads. A bit too late for me but I catch the rest of the show in the morning.

So I broke down and read everything. Real classy stuff. So it goes from a discussion about excessive graemlin use to telling Grinder he is a bum, always looking for handouts, and basically a POS. This just really disgusts me.

If you dont like someone ignore them. If you dont like what someone is doing in YOUR thread PM them. If the guy who started the thread said nothing, dont assume position of the police and start a fight.

Seriously. You dont like the graemlins, dont use them. But 90% of the time it makes as much sense as posting some random words of BS.

How about we just allow posting of :takeit: and PM sent from now on. Why bother speaking in the threads. Have a question PM them. Not buying anything? Move along.

WTF! You guys have crossed some lines here.

So I broke down and read everything. Real classy stuff. So it goes from a discussion about excessive graemlin use to telling Grinder he is a bum, always looking for handouts, and basically a POS. This just really disgusts me.

That's what I didn't get myself. I'm not the graemlin posting type and it does annoy me from time to time, but I fail to see how the personal attacks and the desire to get the last word in helps a thread get less cluttered.

That's what I didn't get myself. I'm not the graemlin posting type and it does annoy me from time to time, but I fail to see how the personal attacks and the desire to get the last word in helps a thread get less cluttered.

And like I said, i stooped low and got egg on my face. Like I deserved.

And like I said, i stooped low and got egg on my face. Like I deserved.

Fair enough. I won't mention it again.

Let me just say in Arexs defense, I can see where he overreacted a little trying to make a point. People get pizzed, annoyed and say things they normally would not when they are calm. I have been guilty of this and I am sure most everyone on the boards has also at some point. Keep in mind that internet persona is usally not the same as meeting someone face to face, and I can say this having met Arex a few times.

Are there people that annoy me when they post here? Absolutely, just as I am sure I annoy people when I post. Everyone has a different breaking point (shrug)

Let me just say in Arexs defense, I can see where he overreacted a little trying to make a point. People get pizzed, annoyed and say things they normally would not when they are calm. I have been guilty of this and I am sure most everyone on the boards has also at some point. Keep in mind that internet persona is usally not the same as meeting someone face to face, and I can say this having met Arex a few times.

Are there people that annoy me when they post here? Absolutely, just as I am sure I annoy people when I post. Everyone has a different breaking point (shrug)

Stop annoying me.