• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

:gossip: There are certain modern titles that certain board members collect for slabbing purposes - which means that certain people are willing to pay more than the "going ebay rate" for certain books when they're sold by certain people with certain grading skills.

:gossip: Certainly!

Can you ellaborate on this. I have a sales tread up now in the bronze forum with what I feel are very desireble books but I am getting little response. I am fairly new here but I contribute on a daily basis in many threads. I also buy from many sellers here.

Just what is it you are looking for???

I think your books have been great (why I bought a few, right?), so it may be more about the folks posting raw moderns for prices that are a little surprising. (shrug)

I wonder about that also. There are certain modern titles that go for much more on these boards than they do anywhere else. It reminds me of the theory that 3 people, strategically placed in a 2000 person meeting, can take control of the entire meeting. I've seen it over & over when a small group hypes a new modern book, it becomes hot on this board, but everywhere else it still sells on the cheap. Where's that "sheep" icon...

:gossip: There are certain modern titles that certain board members collect for slabbing purposes - which means that certain people are willing to pay more than the "going ebay rate" for certain books when they're sold by certain people with certain grading skills.

:gossip: You misunderstood the intention of my post. I have no problems with certain people paying certain people whatever price they want. I just find it interesting, the idea that a small group of sellers can create a pocket market on the boards when the books are readily available (by other people that can grade well too) on other sites for much cheaper. It's something I wonder about sometimes, that's all hm

Can you ellaborate on this. I have a sales tread up now in the bronze forum with what I feel are very desireble books but I am getting little response. I am fairly new here but I contribute on a daily basis in many threads. I also buy from many sellers here.

I think your books have been great (why I bought a few, right?), so it may be more about the folks posting raw moderns for prices that are a little surprising. (shrug)

I wonder about that also. There are certain modern titles that go for much more on these boards than they do anywhere else. It reminds me of the theory that 3 people, strategically placed in a 2000 person meeting, can take control of the entire meeting. I've seen it over & over when a small group hypes a new modern book, it becomes hot on this board, but everywhere else it still sells on the cheap. Where's that "sheep" icon...

:gossip: You misunderstood the intention of my post. I have no problems with certain people paying certain people whatever price they want. I just find it interesting, the idea that a small group of sellers can create a pocket market on the boards when the books are readily available (by other people that can grade well too) on other sites for much cheaper. It's something I wonder about sometimes, that's all hm

Well, I don't think it's particularly atypical behaviour - I mean, it's really no different than the (few) ebay sellers who grade well & who people know grade well, which means that their items sell for a premium compared to those of the unwashed masses. Or board members like FT, Nik, Greggy, etc who, whenever they have a sales thread, whip the populace into a frenzy because they know they're going to get great books at reasonable prices.

Just out of curiosity, are you referring to any modern title in particular?

Well, I don't think it's particularly atypical behaviour - I mean, it's really no different than the (few) ebay sellers who grade well & who people know grade well, which means that their items sell for a premium compared to those of the unwashed masses. Or board members like FT, Nik, Greggy, etc who, whenever they have a sales thread, whip the populace into a frenzy because they know they're going to get great books at reasonable prices.

Just out of curiosity, are you referring to any modern title in particular?

Goon. :insane:

What you should wonder about is why these people are getting those sales when everyone here knows how to use eBay and all the other venues offering "cheaper" alternatives. Everyone here knows how to use a computer and Google, so they know how to find comic book sales sites.

If you think sellers' prices are too high here on the board, then they probably won't get the sale. But, as Michael already pointed out, there are some people (myself included) who will pay more for a book here than on eBay just to save myself the eventual hassle of sending back an "eBay NM." People here provide huge scans upon request and are usually super-easy about returns. To me, if I have to pay a couple of extra bucks for a book I know I'll be happy with, it's worth it to me.

However, I would also like to know what moderns you're referring to, 'cause I'm upping the prices of all my books right now and want to make sure I'm upping the right ones enough. hm

This will no doubt come across as 'blowing my own trumpet', but I'm not by any means the only boarder who is able to pick the right cherries and keep my buyers happy. I sold a run of Goon to a boarder last year...I'd graded the books between 9.2 and 9.6, with one 9.8 in the mix. This is what he told me...

The GOON #1 (DH)..I sold to Pitboss plus $100 for his 9.8 copy...he got his signed and graded...got a SS 9.8 copy

But I sent the rest and got...

Dark Horse

3 - 9.8

6 - 9.8

7 - 9.8

13 - 9.8

14 - 9.8

15 - 9.8

16 - 9.8

17 - 9.8

Albatross

2 - 9.8

4 - 9.8

Dark Horse Goon #2 - CGC 9.9

Albatross Goon #3 - CGC 9.9 --- MY FAVORITE COVER!

This is not to say 'look at me, I'm great', but it's to illustrate the quality of the books you can get here, the strictness of the grading, and the reason why people are prepared to pay more, rather than play the lottery elsewhere. (thumbs u

when the books are readily available (by other people that can grade well too) on other sites for much cheaper. It's something I wonder about sometimes, that's all hm

What's an example of another site that sells modern books and has an actual pro grading them on the ten point scale, as opposed to a "warehouse" team grading thousands of books a week. I don't know of any sites like you're talking about and would like to.

I just find it interesting, the idea that a small group of sellers can create a pocket market on the boards when the books are readily available (by other people that can grade well too) on other sites for much cheaper. It's something I wonder about sometimes, that's all hm

I just imagine what this book would go for on the boards! :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELSEWORLDS-80-PAGE-GIANT-CGC-9-8-MINT-ULTRA-RARE-BATMAN_W0QQitemZ120404681790QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET?hash=item120404681790&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I just find it interesting, the idea that a small group of sellers can create a pocket market on the boards when the books are readily available (by other people that can grade well too) on other sites for much cheaper. It's something I wonder about sometimes, that's all hm

I just imagine what this book would go for on the boards! :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELSEWORLDS-80-PAGE-GIANT-CGC-9-8-MINT-ULTRA-RARE-BATMAN_W0QQitemZ120404681790QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET?hash=item120404681790&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I sent this guy an email letting him know that GPAnalysis.com was the best place to find what this book has sold for in the past and even told him the last 2 sell prices...this is what he told me..

"Dear 2716jamesk,

its on here for an insurance quote im not looking to sell

- carr_comics"

Insurance fraud on the horizon? hm