• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I read both threads before posting. I don't think the question was appropriate in either, whether pressing was disclosed or not. I also don't think multiple posts about how much of a *spoon* someone was for posing the question is appropriate either. Was it really not known that there would be an exchange right there in the sales thread?

I certainly understand what you are saying. Whether a question about pressing in a thread is acceptable etiquette as opposed to a PM is a completely different issue. I certainly would do it via PM if I had such a question. My OP asked about this type of activity in a thread that has proactive disclosure, since that was the shibboleth of the anti-pressing crowd for years.

Since PEP hasn't come on to support Bosco's theory that he was merely trying to find out some general information about pressing; :P, I am going to continue to assume that he has a BS axe to grind, and continue to assert that he chose to grind it in a rude fashion. People that act that rudely deserve to be called out, big time.

I hear you and I understand what your saying. I'm fine with them being called on it. Just feel strongly that the calling out is as disruptive to a sales thread as the question itself. Take away their platform/attention and you stand a better chance of stopping it.

There should be a hall of *spoon* list. I'm new, but I watch the probation list so that I know who the dead-beats are on here. Should be a thread where folks that are acting like jerks can be publicly humiliated.

You're right.

If I felt that Tupenny would be upset about calling him out on it, I would have not posted in the thread. I assume that others felt the same way.

But your feelings regarding the calling out of a threadcrapper is good a general statement as any

Why do some people have to be such peckershiners?

Enlighten me.

Because they can be. I don't care for pressed books but jezusHchrist I won't sabotage a fellow boardies sales thread. If it's important to know about a book, PM the seller. There is no need to start mess in a sales thread(usually). :sumo:

But it is worse than that. There is nothing to PM about. He clearly states that it is pressed. Not this book may have been pressed, or might have been pressed or any intimation that the Pressing Fairy may have dryhumped it. It clearly says it was pressed. So why f with him?

There was an incident in another sales thread and the poster probably should have sent a PM. I wasn't just referring to one sales thread. My bad for not being clear. Peckershiners lol

The seller has every right to chose whether to disclose or not just as the perspective buyer has every right to ask. However, that doesn't give the perspective buyer the right to ask in a manner that brands every book in the sales thread with a scarlet letter "P" just for the hell of it.

I don't think enough credit is being given to the folks reading the threads and looking to buy. Is the thought that the person asking the question is the only one wondering about pressing when a high-grade book is posted? Really?

I'd say someone that can drop $500 on a mid-sixties 9.6 Spidey is already thinking about the possibility when he throws up the :takeit:

More likely is the fact that the one dumping in the thread is just the only one with attitude enough to try to disrupt the thread. Read their rhetoric, remind yourself how you don't want to come across, and move on. Ever been to a Wal-Mart and watched a mom beat the *spoon* out of their kid for acting up? Who you are you whispering about to your honey? The kid or the mom?

Don't be the mom in someone’s thread either. Just to make sure I'm clear...I don't think anyone should be posting a pressing/price/degrading question in someone's sales thread. However, I also don't think there should be four pages about how much of a *spoon* someone is for posting the question. Read it, send a PM and tell the person how much of a *spoon* they are if you want, but don't make it a spectacle for them. Everyone holds responsibility in keeping the board from becoming a Wal-Mart. 2c

+1 I agree with this 100% If for no other reason than everytime someone posts some bull sh*t not related to buying something in someones sales thread that it knocks down everyone elses sales threads.

take it to general people!

There should be a hall of *spoon* list. I'm new, but I watch the probation list so that I know who the dead-beats are on here. Should be a thread where folks that are acting like jerks can be publicly humiliated.

Oh dear, the Internets are not equipped for a list of that magnitude. lol Of course, someone could just copy and paste Cal's list. :shy:

Think it would be a lot smaller than (correct usage?) you might think. Have a vetting/resolution process with some respected board members, put some teeth to it (lose ability to buy..sell...both?)....*spoon* would stop or at the very least become rare. From what I've seen, the folks that are stirring up trouble usually have 1k + posts. They want to be here with the ability to buy/sell. Put that at risk and you have a chance to police the board and make sure there is nice play in sales threads. Non-sales threads are fair game (shrug)

The problem is, and always has been, that there is no way to enforce anything. For what's it's worth, all of our talk is just that, talk. The moderators do not and will not get involved, so the likely hood of doling out punishment is nil. In essence, no one has any teeth. The best we can hope for is an attempt to gum someone to death.

And yes, you used than correctly.

Oh dear, the Internets are not equipped for a list of that magnitude. lol Of course, someone could just copy and paste Cal's list. :shy:

Do you have said list on file? :popcorn:

I don't, but I'm sure there's one floating around here somewhere.

You're on my list, Bumpkin. :luhv:

You know, after seeing your photo, that doesn't scare half as bad as it used to.

Think it would be a lot smaller than (correct usage?) you might think. Have a vetting/resolution process with some respected board members, put some teeth to it (lose ability to buy..sell...both?)....*spoon* would stop or at the very least become rare. From what I've seen, the folks that are stirring up trouble usually have 1k + posts. They want to be here with the ability to buy/sell. Put that at risk and you have a chance to police the board and make sure there is nice play in sales threads. Non-sales threads are fair game (shrug)

The problem is, and always has been, that there is no way to enforce anything. For what's it's worth, all of our talk is just that, talk. The moderators do not and will not get involved, so the likely hood of doling out punishment is nil. In essence, no one has any teeth. The best we can hope for is an attempt to gum someone to death.

And yes, you used than correctly.

Then (: we can turn her loose on them lol

Let em have it :roflmao:

You know, after seeing your photo, that doesn't scare half as bad as it used to.

It should. :sumo:

I think not. Now, you remind me of that villain from Rainbow Brite, Murky Dismal.

murky.gif

:gossip: It's called the Coin Forum.

I think not. Now, you remind me of that villain from Rainbow Brite, Murky Dismal.

murky.gif

:roflmao:

I have two eyebrows! Who do you think I am? Count? :cry:

I REALLY love this site but the majority of my posts are in the selling section. More often than not I'll post an :takeit: or something along the lines of a compliment. I see no reason to bring negativity to a sales thread whatsoever, shoot the person a pm or something. This forum is a wondeful place to learn, sell and buy. To anyone who would ruin that for everyone else just stop, don't post your nonsense because it pisses off the fine folks that post excellent books at great prices.

I feel a bit guilty posting mainly in the selling section but I usually get off of work at 1am and this site is dead and/or my girlfriend needs my talents elsewhere. I read nearly every thread but I often feel that I have little to say outside of what has already been said.

My point: don't talk mess in sales threads.

Edited by Boboset

I REALLY love this site but the majority of my posts are in the selling section. More often than not I'll post an :takeit: or something along the lines of a compliment. I see no reason to bring negativity to a sales thread whatsoever, shoot the person a pm or something. This forum is a wondeful place to learn, sell and buy. To anyone who would ruin that for everyone else just stop, don't post your nonsense because it pisses off the fine folks that post excellent books at great prices.

I feel a bit guilty posting mainly in the selling section but I usually get off of work at 1am and this site is dead and/or my girlfriend needs my talents elsewhere. I read nearly every thread but I often feel that I have little to say outside of what has already been said.

My point: don't talk mess in sales threads.

:roflmao: That is the best I have ever heard that put

murky.gif

:roflmao:

I have two eyebrows! Who do you think I am? Count? :cry:

To sum up all of those quotes....

I miss CAL

:eek: While I've never met Pep, I have had conversations via PM, email and a chat room on another comic forum. This seems really out of character for him, I PM'ed him to see what his intent was. (shrug)

I feel a bit guilty posting mainly in the selling section but I usually get off of work at 1 am and this site is dead and/or my girlfriend needs my talents elsewhere.

Some of us are still on after 1:02 ?

:jokealert:

DRX

I don't know who PEP is and I don't know if he has a history of speaking out against pressing.

But the question "How would you know if it was pressed?" doesn't seem so threatening to me. The response on the other hand,

"Because I don't know who you are, I'm going to ignore your question even if you are about to buy every book I have ever wished to sell in my entire life."

After reading this thread first I was expecting PEP's comment to be much worse.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone buying or selling pressed books as long as they disclose that it's been pressed. I fell buyer deserve to have that information. (shrug)

I agree, but what about those that don't disclose? hm And don't answer the question when put to them? That's the rub.

There are already several very good sellers who no longer have selling threads on the boards because it has become too much of a headache. It began going down hill after the selling forum redesign. The actions of posters like PEP and divad only exacerbate the situation.
7170.jpg