• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I get hit with a 3% fee on personal payment if it goes over $200. If I buy something of a greater value than $200 I usually split up the payment between multiple transactions under that $200 mark.

Edited by Boboset

I did ask PayPal a few weeks ago about fees using the personal payment option and their answer was that customers who receive a payment from a user in another country are charged a cross border fee, usually 1%. Cross border fees do not apply for payments received from US buyers though. That means if I send a Paypal personal payment from Canada to USA, there will be a 1% fee but if I receive a Paypal personal payment from USA (to Canada), there is no fee. ???

The important thing to remember though is that you need to have enough funds in your Paypal balance to cover the PayPal personal payment you are sending otherwise there will be a fee and the fee will be much higher, making then no difference or making it worse than if using a regular PayPal payment.

Edited by pickycollector

The important thing to remember though is that you need to have enough funds in your Paypal balance to cover the PayPal personal payment you are sending otherwise there will be a fee and the fee will be much higher, making then no difference or making it worse than if using a regular PayPal payment.

They charge the 1% when it comes from a bank account as well?

Yes, but as stated, it is for the cross border fee that US sellers are subject to when they received payments from other countries.

I appreciate being paid via Paypal personal, but it is not a sales requirement. I really don't understand why it's such bid deal. I'm certainly not blood over it.

It's only a big deal if you insist on the personal payment method. If you don't, it isn't.

Some people say that there's no paypal buyer protections for non-ebay purchases. That's not true. The buyer complaint process applies to non-ebay purchases. Except that "You may not file a dispute for a Personal Payment."

Even if you use a credit card to fund the purchase, the buyer isn't necessarily protected by credit card protections since they indicated that they weren't buying a "good or service". Sure they really did, but according to the official payment slip (in this case the online form) they indicated "this is not a physical good or a service" and therefore not technically protected by credit card chargeback either. How that works out in reality depends on the credit card company.

It's also lying, and frankly some people have a problem with that. And given that PayPal sales are reported to the IRS, it's a kind of tax lying. Or it uncomfortably feels that way.

John

Yes, but as stated, it is for the cross border fee that US sellers are subject to when they received payments from other countries.

So US to US or Canada to Canada from a bank account is free then...kewl.

Ok guys seriously? :eyeroll:

The moderator #6 or who ever came on to my sales threads and said I and everyone else is not allowed to use/say "Paypal Personal" anymore as a form of payment.

#1. They should have made an announcement of this on the boards directly and not just the editing of the rules list. :screwy:

#2. Paypal personal is a form of payment in which I am letting it be know in my sales guidelines in each of my sales threads so there is no confusion. I think I do a better than average job letting people know all my rules/terms prior to any collector taking any of my books (shrug)

3. If they are going to be this anal then I employ them to check most of the sales threads as almost everyone I click on the seller doesn't even mention what form of payments they accept. doh!

What has happened to this place in the last 6 months.

SOT

Edited by Cobra Commander

The moderator #6 or who ever came on to my sales threads and said I and everyone else is not allowed to use/say "Paypal Personal" anymore as a form of payment.

#1. They should have made an announcement of this on the boards directly and not just the editing of the rules list. :screwy:

#2. Paypal personal is a form of payment in which I am letting it be know in my sales guidelines in each of my sales threads so there is no confusion. I think I do a better than average job letting people know all my rules/terms prior to any collector taking any of my books (shrug)

3. If they are going to be this anal then I employ them to check most of the sales threads as almost everyone I click on the seller doesn't even mention what form of payments they accept. doh!

SOT

The guideline must be designed to protect buyers from unscrupulous sellers who change their board name, move across country and still refer to themselves as their previous board name, post fake wedding announcements, and the worst of all, are a Phillies fan.

SOT

The guideline must be designed to protect buyers from unscrupulous sellers who change their board name, move across country and still refer to themselves as their previous board name, post fake wedding announcements, and the worst of all, are a Phillies fan.

:signfunny:

First time I laughed on the boards in months.

Thanks Andy I needed that. lol

This board is full of shifty farks trying to get over on someone.

I didn't really have a problem with using paypal personal for board transactions as I figured sooner or later Paypal would halt the practice and, for the most part, I trust the people I buy from on these boards.

That trust is quickly eroding after the last few days and weeks of questionable behavior displayed.

I for one will not use the Personal Payment option for board transactions anymore as it is now a violation of the boards policy. Its all in my sig line.

I didn't really have a problem with using paypal personal for board transactions as I figured sooner or later Paypal would halt the practice and, for the most part, I trust the people I buy from on these boards.

That trust is quickly eroding after the last few days and weeks of questionable behavior displayed.

I for one will not use the Personal Payment option for board transactions anymore as it is now a violation of the boards policy. Its all in my sig line.

I really don't think they said you can't use the personal option. What they said was you can not ask someone to pay you in that way. Why is everyone making this hard. Just stop advertising it and everyone will keep using it anyway

SOT

Thanks Andrew I needed that. lol

John, I've used personal paypal for transactions, I don't ask for it in my threads, but I do have friends on the board that I trade with.

However, Paypal is a BUSINESS that allows those of us who have transactions but aren't in business, to take credit cards.

Why should a business be blamed for wanting to make a profit? Especially when no part of the transaction you are engaged in, has anything to do with them?

Arch did post something weeks ago, btw. You were in Vegas;);)

On a side note, I transfered a fairly large sum to a friend the other day who was going to an auction. He transferred it back when he didn't spend it. Paypal is holding it for 5 business days, when I called they said that these transactions take longer. Just a cautionary note.

I really don't think they said you can't use the personal option. What they said was you can not ask someone to pay you in that way. Why is everyone making this hard. Just stop advertising it and everyone will keep using it anyway

True. Then its only a violation of paypal policy. :baiting:

SOT

John, I've used personal paypal for transactions, I don't ask for it in my threads, but I do have friends on the board that I trade with.

However, Paypal is a BUSINESS that allows those of us who have transactions but aren't in business, to take credit cards.

Why should a business be blamed for wanting to make a profit? Especially when no part of the transaction you are engaged in, has anything to do with them?

On a side note, I transfered a fairly large sum to a friend the other day who was going to an auction. He transferred it back when he didn't spend it. Paypal is holding it for 5 business days, when I called they said that these transactions take longer. Just a cautionary note.

The thing is I am more inclined obviously to discount more here than I would eslewhere.

If it gets to point where people expect discounted shipping and 10-20% books before they :takeit: the book and then I have to get hit the 3% on top of that from a regular pay pal transaction then I might as well just negate here all together or

Maybe just accept check or MO orders only then.

I am a trustworthy seller as our many of fellow board members, so I don't see why only accepting pay pal personal is such an issue. Especially if you know that clearly by me before you bid.

Most of my sales are return customers.

True. Then its only a violation of paypal policy. :baiting:

Sure - and that's a personal decision whether you want to abide by this policy or not. Listing that you'll only take paypal in your sales threads if they're personal payments, however, is not.

SOT

The thing is I am more inclined obviously to discount more here than I would eslewhere.

If it gets to point where people expect discounted shipping and 10-20% books before they :takeit: the book and then I have to get hit the 3% on top of that from a regular pay pal transaction then I might as well just negate here all together or

Maybe just accept check or MO orders only then.

I am a trustworthy seller as our many of fellow board members, so I don't see why only accepting pay pal personal is such an issue. Especially if you know that clearly by me before you bid.

Most of my sales are return customers.

John - it's not like you're being singled out here, this rule applies to everyone.

And considering that CGC could possibly be sued by allowing people to knowingly violate the Paypal Terms of Service on their website, it's a total no-brainer that they're cracking down on this.

If it gets to point where people expect discounted shipping and 10-20% books before they :takeit: the book and then I have to get hit the 3% on top of that from a regular pay pal transaction then I might as well just negate here all together

So you mean then you'll have to go sell on eBay or some other sales forum where it will take 10% to 15% right off the top of your sale?

Wow! What to do - what to do? Eat a 3% PayPal fee, or take 10% to 15% off the top?

Jeez, tough decision.

If it gets to point where people expect discounted shipping and 10-20% books before they :takeit: the book and then I have to get hit the 3% on top of that from a regular pay pal transaction then I might as well just negate here all together

So you mean then you'll have to go sell on eBay or some other sales forum where it will take 10% to 15% right off the top of your sale?

Wow! What to do - what to do? Eat a 3% PayPal fee, or take 10% to 15% off the top. Jeez, tough decision.

I am saying if you are taking 10%-20% (same as a consignment sites) off the book to sell it here as well as getting hit 3% from a PP fee.

Then............... :news:

Might as well put the book on eBay or other auction sites and get more exposure in general.