• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Can people not check GPA on their own? Why on Earth would someone take some else's word (that they don't know) on the price of a comic book?

I always check GPA as a reference. It works both ways. Just because the last copy of issue X sold for $17, doesn't mean that's what the book is worth anymore than if it sold $1,000.

(shrug)

That's not my point, though - I'm merely alluding to the fact that it would be nice if sellers on this board didn't try pulling all of the that makes ebay suck for buying comic books.

If you (meaning "random seller", not you) want to price your books higher than GPA, that's your prerogative - but is it too much to ask that you're upfront about it and don't try to justify the price by posting misleading GPA info?

Can people not check GPA on their own? Why on Earth would someone take some else's word (that they don't know) on the price of a comic book?

I always check GPA as a reference. It works both ways. Just because the last copy of issue X sold for $17, doesn't mean that's what the book is worth anymore than if it sold $1,000.

(shrug)

That's not my point, though - I'm merely alluding to the fact that it would be nice if sellers on this board didn't try pulling all of the that makes ebay suck for buying comic books.

If you (meaning "random seller", not you) want to price your books higher than GPA, that's your prerogative - but is it too much to ask that you're upfront about it and don't try to justify the price by posting misleading GPA info?

Do you mean like this:

Uncanny X-Men 212 CGC 9.8 White pages. This is a gorgeous copy of this book. A classic cover of the Copper Age if there ever was one. Yes, I know the last few sales are lower, but I don't care. $150.

(shrug)

Do you mean like this:

Uncanny X-Men 212 CGC 9.8 White pages. This is a gorgeous copy of this book. A classic cover of the Copper Age if there ever was one. Yes, I know the last few sales are lower, but I don't care. $150.

Exactly (thumbs u

Because for some it's just too much trouble.

Marmat is good people, at least he asked first. (shrug)

If a book warrants a look-up for me to purchase then it is probably worth the $10 to get the info. I did so when I bought my Showcase #22. I don't buy enough high-end slabs to make it worth my while.

I will ask them to not post that. First off, you are correct it is between myself and 2 other individuals who I do not sell items to in the first place. And I would rather see people I consider my friends make money vs lose money, as that is the purpose of selling.

Plenty of good people caught in the crossfire and nothing I can do about that, sorry it came to that...

I will ask them to not post that. First off, you are correct it is between myself and 2 other individuals who I do not sell items to in the first place. And I would rather see people I consider my friends make money vs lose money, as that is the purpose of selling.

Plenty of good people caught in the crossfire and nothing I can do about that, sorry it came to that...

Jon,

It's unfortunate that this happened and i do feel that there were issues with how everybody (not just the 3 of you involved) reacted to this in bad taste.

i for one consider you a friend as well as jerel and TJ, and just like other common friends we have, i was gutted to see a bunch of my friends fight over and get slammed over some comments and a single book.

you are a cool guy, and i think the same of the other 2. i've had nothing but positive interactions with all 3 of you and i'd hate to see any of this become such a contentious "us vs them" that was starting to brew in the sales threads. I'm glad that you, for moral or for your other friends financial reasons decided to kill this thing publicly.

are you ever going to be on speaking terms with them? maybe, but that is something that you and the others involved can work this through without the other outsiders from putting in their 1 1/12 cents.

from that other j

So what does everyone think of this recent growth of "Paypal PERSONAL Only" sales on here?

I'm not referring to the "it would be nice if you sent a Personal payment, but cool if not" comments, but strict requirements to disregard the PP TOS and your buyer protection, or not participate in the sales? These are NOT personal payments, but sales, you can have your account revoked or suspended for pulling this scam.

I think by allowing sellers to freely disregard Paypal policy and terms of service, CGC is on a slipperly slope here, and a few scams later, it could really harm their reputation and that of the Marketplace itself.

Thoughts?

I think when I see those, I just close the thread...

Me too, but I'm speaking of the Marketplace as a whole, and the potential for this fraudulent loophole to cause a lot of damage.

I'm not sure that all buyers realize that Paypal can revoke their account if they're caught, and that using this payment method for a sales transaction means ZERO Buyer Protection in case of fraud.

hmmm

good to know.

I only wrote it in my FS thread a while back because then I knew that it avoided Paypal fees.

Next time I will just say just add 3% to cover PP fees.

Thanks for the heads up :)

I always state personal would be nice but not obligatory. It's up to the buyer then. I will gladly pay personal if someone says they prefer it, if it's edemanded then I won't, unless I know them really well.

And I'll never pay 3% extra to cover fees, especially when the cost of selling on here is zero.

And I'll never pay 3% extra to cover fees, especially when the cost of selling on here is zero.

No kidding. What next?

"Please include $.25 extra per book to cover the bag and board."

You can do that?? :banana:

I feel Forum Transactions are personal also. Sometimes we trade books for books. and sometimes it's books for cash. Either way, I expect absolutely Zero protection from pay pal anyway. We self insure here by use of the Probation list.

I don't think there is any SCAM going on by using the personal option provided by pay pal.

I feel Forum Transactions are personal also. Sometimes we trade books for books. and sometimes it's books for cash. Either way, I expect absolutely Zero protection from pay pal anyway. We self insure here by use of the Probation list.

I don't think there is any SCAM going on by using the personal option provided by pay pal.

I don't think it's a scam either, I think that Paypal has added that option to protect themselves from being regulated as a bank.

However, when I see someone insist on Personal Paypal, I really do close the thread. I have used the personal option many times, IF I happen to have money in my paypal account and if I know the person, but I prefer that to be an option, I feel uncomfortable being coerced. I feel the same way with people who want 3% if you use Paypal. I've bought that way from C-link, but it's my option, and they are a business, they have bills associated with the sales to pay.

In addition, my "protection" comes from my credit card company, and if I'm going to spend more than a few $$ on a book, I'd prefer that I have the OPTION of that protection.

I have never asked for a paypal personal payment but every single book I have sold on the boards people have always payed me this way. Even when most of the time it was the first time I had dealt with the person. I really appreciated it. Under the personal option there is the option for "payment owed" so I'm not sure what's wrong with sending money that way.

:gossip: Trading stuff for cash is not barter. Buying comics here is pretty similar to buying them from ebay, in that they're usually being sold by non-professional dealers.* Should ebay transactions be paid via personal option?

Also, some people are indeed selling here as their business. I too refuse to buy from threads that REQUIRE me to use the personal option. Not to mention the fact that as someone who funds paypal via a credit card, the 3% fee still applies.

* Of course, buying comics here is infinitely better, more reliable, safer, more fun, healthier, and a prettier shade of blue than buying on ebay!!!!