• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

Without making a sale thread no one will buy from I would like to know if there is any interest in buying a very small grouping of WWT and 4 other dc westerns as a lot. Generally these don't go well for me so I figured I would ask before I scan, price the lot, and take up front page real estate. It would be up later tonight.

Sorry. You'll have to encode that Matrix-speak going forward. Straight English sales are not allowed.

:baiting:

Without making a sale thread no one will buy from I would like to know if there is any interest in buying a very small grouping of WWT and 4 other dc westerns as a lot. Generally these don't go well for me so I figured I would ask before I scan, price the lot, and take up front page real estate. It would be up later tonight.

Sorry. You'll have to encode that Matrix-speak going forward. Straight English sales are not allowed.

:baiting:

Should I take that as a no then?

If a book gets priced too low, there's not hesitation to snatch it up right away, say "wow what a great price" and move along. Same story when something is over priced or over-graded - the market place will be quiet. I see some sellers who repeatedly over price their books and I just stay away. There's a couple of big slab sellers that just believe that their wares are too superior to meet market pricing.

I also don't think it's productive to dump all over a sales thread and embarrass the seller for his/her mistake - sometimes it's intentional, other times it's not. I don't think I grade as well as others do and I appreciate PMs that help me in the future.

We don't disagree on any of this. :)

David, your post is ridiculous!! And I'm embarassed for you.

Ebony and Ivory IS a great song. Sure a second verse would be nice but..

Uhh...what? Sorry? What were you guys talking about?

Oh.

Never mind.

:sorry:

:roflmao: John, I may be pretty simple but . . . you KILL me! lol

Pure laziness. I will never get back those few minutes it takes to scan and post.

The Mod has never sent me the fees back for selling in the past. Why would he start now?

Just so we are all clear, Thesavros was Taz0007, a probation member.

Some folks bought from his recent sales thread, so they'll probably appreciate the heads up.

sherlock-holmes-teaser-post-1.jpg

Is it me or has there been a bit of a slow down in SS (particularly sketch covers) in the marketplace?

Now is not the time to sell for vintage. If vintage stuff and vintage multisigned books continue to get harder and harder to get, why sell now? For modern stuff, the best stuff is out there in droves, nearly always on here first, then off to the 'Bay.

See, I've been perusing the modern sketch covers and I'm not seeing a whole lot out there. There's a relatively nice Tucci Iron Man on the 'Bay but a little more of a close up than I like.

Speaking for myself here, but I don't get sketch covers done with the intent to ever sell them.

I just feel that if I have a sketch cover commissioned than it is something I would like to have in my collection forever.

Of course something could always come up and I could be desparate for money, but I would try and sell all of my other comics, before I would sell one of my sketch covers.

See, I've been perusing the modern sketch covers and I'm not seeing a whole lot out there. There's a relatively nice Tucci Iron Man on the 'Bay but a little more of a close up than I like.

If you are talking about sketch covers, then I agree with you. And the reasoning is twofold: (1) A lot of the people who regularly do sketch covers (Fred, Arjuna, SecretSon, Comicjunkie etc.) are mainly doing them for themselves. It is a labor of love. Most of them would move almost anything else before they started moving sketch covers; (2) Sketch covers are a low margin item. They require a heavy input of time capital and cash capital to get done. And then a large portion of what you can sell them for is recouping initial costs. PLus what if it is not a popular subject, or artist, or the work is not great? Why spend all the time and money on sketch covers to flip when you just need to stay on top of the hottest variants and new books, get them Yellow or blue labeled and flip the 9.8s for tall coin.

I'd say you've got to give it time. Most C2E2 books aren't back yet and by this time last year the NYCC books would have been back already (it doesn't happen until October this year). Personally, MegaCon was not a strong show for sketches. There haven't been too many other shows.

When C2E2 books come back, I'd expect to see some more...then there is Heroes and Philly in back to back weekends, SDCC isn't long after that.

But Sean is right...it can be a little too capital intensive for people to get sketches done for the sole purpose of resale. Between that and the new SS rules, it's possible that people just aren't getting them done as much as they did last year.

What I don't like, is when pictures disappear and I see some really nice, honest people doing that...it gives no basis for comparison and no record. I would like to suggest that sellers leave all pictures up for at least 30 days.

Hey, I know this response is kind of late, but in my last two sales threads I have just started taking down pics once they are sold. In my first thread I stated that I was going to do that just to save space on the thread and not have people scroll through tons of pics of books sold, especially when I would have many books to sell. I do keep a copy in photobucket though in case there is an issue. If there is an issue, I would have no problem refunding a buyer's cash if he does not agree with the grade, even if it's a $1 book. I guess it's about principal. I just want to make sure that people are happy with what they buy.

I just came across this thread and it is very helpful learning from you guys. Thanks a lot. From now on I think what I'll do is leave the pics up when people don't quote the pic with their :takeit:. When I buy stuff off people, it annoys me a little that you see the same pic over and over of a book that is already sold. Again, thanks guys for this awesome knowledge. (thumbs u

What I don't like, is when pictures disappear and I see some really nice, honest people doing that...it gives no basis for comparison and no record. I would like to suggest that sellers leave all pictures up for at least 30 days.

Hey, I know this response is kind of late, but in my last two sales threads I have just started taking down pics once they are sold. In my first thread I stated that I was going to do that just to save space on the thread and not have people scroll through tons of pics of books sold, especially when I would have many books to sell. I do keep a copy in photobucket though in case there is an issue. If there is an issue, I would have no problem refunding a buyer's cash if he does not agree with the grade, even if it's a $1 book. I guess it's about principal. I just want to make sure that people are happy with what they buy.

I just came across this thread and it is very helpful learning from you guys. Thanks a lot. From now on I think what I'll do is leave the pics up when people don't quote the pic with their :takeit:. When I buy stuff off people, it annoys me a little that you see the same pic over and over of a book that is already sold. Again, thanks guys for this awesome knowledge. (thumbs u

Firefly, since you are using Photobucket you could just paste the link along with the embedded picture. That way when you remove the picture the link will still be there.

Like this:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3987274#Post3987274

Thanks, brother. Much appreciated.

:roflmao: That reminds me, back when I first started not so long ago and I was trying to figure stupid photobucket out, I accidentally posted a pic of myself in a wedding tux and boardies jumped on it like crazy with jokes...funny as hec. (Being compared to Nick Lachey was actually funny)

Firefly, since you are using Photobucket you could just paste the link along with the embedded picture. That way when you remove the picture the link will still be there.

Like this:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3987274#Post3987274

That's a great idea. I only keep the pics up for about a week or so after I ship. I guess it is true that once posted on the internet it never completely is removed.