• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

What's with all the auctions of late? New trend that's likely to fade or is this where the sales threads are heading?

It made E-bay founders rich. I guess people are tired of trying to price right and post as much as they can till something sticks. I think it's a good idea. People will only pay as much as they think something is worth. In essence, they set the price with their bid. IMO

Edited by kdoginohio

What's with all the auctions of late? New trend that's likely to fade or is this where the sales threads are heading?

It made E-bay founders rich. I guess people are tired of trying to price right and post as much as they can till something sticks. I think it's a good idea. People will only pay as much as they think something is worth. In essence, they set the price with their bid. IMO

I like it.

I like it.

:blush:

IDK. I do have trouble pricing some stuff. I don't want to lose on a sale by under- pricing or even over-pricing. If I have a starting point, then I can let the market/buyer decide the final cost. Looks like a win-win situation to me. Once again, IMO.

I'm ok with the auctions on the rare stuff (like the ASM poster) or the high-grade ultra key stuff (think BK has a couple in his thread), but I sure don't want to see auctions on moderns or mid-run BA/SA books in fine/very fine.... :makepoint:

And that is my point, FB. Higher grade and rare stuff is perfect for auction. Heck, Heritage and Pedigree are making a killing. At least there are no hidden costs on the boards and if you screw someone over you're outed.

Agree with Frank...believe there was an auction last week for a midgrade X-Men where the shipping was more than the final price...seller can do what they want of course, but not a huge fan of auctions when the dollar amounts are low.

Also, on a more insidious note :devil: I think sellers are a fan of the self-bumping (not an attractive new word there :sick: ) nature of the auctions. With the exception of comicwiz's widget, everytime someone bids you get knocked to the top thread. Seems to be a lot of interest of late in the prime real estate for your thread...can definitely get a leg up with the natural advantage there.

Personally, I like Brian's approach to the auctions. Put the items up for sale, if there are no buyers at your price (or reasonable PM offers) then throw it up for auction to the highest bidder. Get the best of both worlds there (thumbs u

Mac Man is right -- the auction format has been tried a number of times here, with generally pretty dismal results. That said, it's a fun format for the right items, and it's nice to see it dusted off a bit.

Ok... so WHAT is up with this Cursed Pirate Girl invasion taking place in the marketplace? It's like nearly every other thread (at least in the CA section) is loaded with 'em!

Obviously, I'm assuming this is the new 'flavor of the week' modern, but I'm curious what about it is so hot that's make the boardies run around with peg legs and eye patches?

Ok... so WHAT is up with this Cursed Pirate Girl invasion taking place in the marketplace? It's like nearly every other thread (at least in the CA section) is loaded with 'em!

Obviously, I'm assuming this is the new 'flavor of the week' modern, but I'm curious what about it is so hot that's make the boardies run around with peg legs and eye patches?

DSC009191.jpg

Arrrrrrr! Thursday be forever known as Cursed Pirate Girlie Day!

DSC009191.jpg

Arrrrrrr! Thursday be forever known as Cursed Pirate Girlie Day!

lol:applause:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4001722#Post4001722

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4001722#Post4001722

Thanks! (thumbs u Looks pretty cool... I may give these a try as well.

Dude... it looks like that guy is being.... serviced in your avatar?

Who? Captain Kirk? Its just a still from the show where he was helping a crew member up.

If you saw the thumbnails in the links below those comics...

I'm all for some fun, but the links were sick.

Dude... it looks like that guy is being.... serviced in your avatar?

Who? Captain Kirk? Its just a still from the show where he was helping a crew member up.

If you saw the thumbnails in the links below those comics...

I'm all for some fun, but the links were sick.

I'd say Captain Kirk would agree with you! ;)

Just kidding around with you :grin: