• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

hm

Dare I start wallpapering another room in the house with my hoarded Bats 428???

I just cannot get enough of seeing a dead Jason Todd :cloud9:

That was a joke right?

:fear:

Yeah, that's it...a joke...I totally do not have any of those books...and I am a great lover of all Robins whiny and annoying :foryou:

:gossip: Actually, I tore them up and wrapped my toilet in them...sometimes I still call the number to kill him and hope against hope that they will ret-con some sort of disintegration ray death :wishluck:

939448-392px_a_death_in_the_family_advert_super(1).jpg

Good lord,it's dead tonight around here :P

The wife is asleep and I'm bored off my you know what...

Maybe another shot is in order :idea:

Just got done watching Wanted and still can't get to sleep myself.

I'll have one for you my non-drinking friend (thumbs u

Here's hoping you get some zzzz's soon..

What does everyone consider to be appropriate and inappropriate postings in another seller's For Sale thread?

It is appropriate to say a price is too high? A book seems over-graded? Under-graded? Ask about pressing? Inquire if it was stolen? Link comparisons at different prices? Hint or mention you have the same for less? Etc.

Also, do you feel it is best to make the initial inquiry in PM or within the seller's thread?

What does everyone consider to be appropriate and inappropriate postings in another seller's For Sale thread?

It is appropriate to say a price is too high?NO A book seems over-graded?NO Under-graded?Maybe if its a friend Ask about pressing?YES Inquire if it was stolen?YES Link comparisons at different prices?NO Hint or mention you have the same for less? NO Etc.

Also, do you feel it is best to make the initial inquiry in PM or within the seller's thread?

It is appropriate to say a price is too high?NO A book seems over-graded?NO Under-graded?Maybe if its a friend Ask about pressing?YES Inquire if it was stolen?YES Link comparisons at different prices?NO Hint or mention you have the same for less? NO Etc.

Enhanced for readability as I initially thought you just quoted me.

Thread Pooping Discussion moved from Probation area:

Apparently since my comments make no sense to you I have to repeat myself.

You knew the book used to be a 9.0 and by your own admission you lost interest in purchasing. This means you are no longer a prospective buyer.

You then commented with the ulterior motive, again by your own admission, to inform prospective buyers.

Making sense now?

So you took it upon yourself to decide what is universally relevant to prospective buyers and then inappropriately use someone's sales thread as a platform to peddle your beliefs.

:taptaptap:

This cracks me up.

Passing along info about some old comics being reslabbed is now equated to spouting biased beliefs. What's interesting is the idea that, just because someone is not interested in buying they should just keep their mouth shut. Sounds like you harbor some biased beliefs against the buyers of the world.

Buyers vs. Sellers - The Next Holy War!

It's biased in that not everyone cares to know.

The idea that if someone is not interested they should keep their mouth shut is the essence of the debate over thread krapping. There is nothing against starting another thread or bringing the discussion here. Maybe even updating the rules. Unless it is a universally accepted belief then where do we draw the line? I believe this is how the discussion started.

See, I hold an entirely different view. I post sales threads in the forum. Heck, I sell comics for a living. I could give a mess about thread krapping. In fact I endorse it in every one of my sales threads. If I post a sales thread I expect the books contained in it to be inspected, dissected, discussed, considered, and commented on. I love the positive comments ("What a great book!", "I'd buy it if I had the money!", "Great Price, Great Condition!"). I should also consider the negative comments. As a seller I should create a listing that is complete and above reproach. So if there is a negative comment (or thread krap) that is something I should be able to deal with with thick skin, an open mind, and a reasonable response. "You are thread-krapping, you big meanie" is not a reasonable response and does nothing to address the reason for the negative comment. Any seller listing here should understand that there are folks on the CGC boards who are very thorough in their understanding of the market and all the variables that go into buying and selling slabbed comics. If anyone is listing comics that have been upgraded here on these boards in these sales forums, ground zero for disclosure, then he should not be surprised when a boardie comes along and questions the listing. He should EXPECT it. You don't jump in a pool and get surprised when you get wet. Welcome the "thread-krap", address it, and move along.

+ a million

This discussion, should not be a pressing thread...it's about information. Just because some people don't care about the history of a book, it doesn't mean there aren't others who do, even if it's just ONE person.

I can't understand the reason for having ANYTHING to hide, if people really don't care about a book as long as it's got a CGC grade, then giving someone else the history of the grade (who might care), should not be a problem.

Same with restoration, true ownership of goods...whatever it is, I just can't see a good reason for hiding information.

It would be nice, if the information disclosed was discussed politely.

It's not a question of hiding anything. In fact it may just be a case of difference of opinion what to 'disclose'. Nobody here can start a sales thread that answers any and all questions about every book within the the thread. If someone has a question feel free to ask. I also did not say Bob had to be quiet about what he knew.

What I am saying is the seller's right to his opinion is just as strong as Bob's right to his opinion. At the end of the day it is an opinion. The reason Bob's comment was inappropriate was because it was in the seller's thread. All other things being equal then discuss and post opinions until the cows come home. But the trump card fir the seller is it is his thread. So long as he is not breaking forum rules then his thread his rules.

The seller above invites/allows/expects those comments and all the power to him. It is his sales thread.

We all have our sales tactics. We all have personal views on integrity and customer service. So long as a seller is following forum rules they should be allowed to conduct business as they see fit.

I have nothing against you personally, and I don't want to argue with your "personal views" on integrity. Again, this is becoming a "pressing discussion" and whether pressing is something that needs to be disclosed, so I will just respectfully disagree.

I'll buy a pressed book. I'll buy a restored book, I just don't see the point is hiding information. I personally don't hide anything that I'm aware of regarding books I sell or trade, if I leave something out, it's a mistake and I'd never mind if someone pointed it out, if it costs me a sale, or sales...that's fine.

I don't like to disrupt threads...some time ago, a seller was selling a book on here, that he had listed on eBay stating it had restoration. He failed to list that in his sales thread here, calling the book specifically "unrestored". I pointed it out on the thread...because I had information that I believed my fellow boarders, should also have.

There was a whole hullabaloo. I don't like to start problems, I WOULD however, "threadcrap" again, if I saw something egregious, even if it's not against a formal "rule". I'm part of a community that protects our members...people have done the same for me.

I would not tell someone their price is too high, the book is ugly, I have 73 of them, someone else on eBay or next door is selling one, I do have my limits ;)

The idea that sales threads are sacrosanct, just doesn't make any sense to me.

The sales forum is tangential to the FORUM, it does not run the forum. No one has the right to make a living here, it's a bonus that we can sell with no fees, and a nice one...but it's the tail of the dog, not the body.

Pov, I apologize, I won't answer here again, you are right, the subject doesn't really belong here :foryou:

And I agree with you Sharon, especially the emboldened sections.

When you posted in the thread with the book that was on Ebay as restored and then on the forum as unrestored you weren't stating an opinion as to grading, you were offering facts.

No one should expect their thread to be immune from material facts about the specific book in question, but they probably deserve deference from people wishing to state their opinion on price, appearance of the book, etc.

To recap: A discussion in the probation thread discussing what was appropriate to post in a sales thread has been moved to the discussion thread because it was inappropriate to post about thread-pooping in the probation thread.

:ohnoez::cloud9:

Some people have specific core interests within the comic book collecting hobby - those interests can range from pedigrees, cgc grades, original art, signatures on books, peripheral nostalgic material (toys, fanzines, games) or specific ages, gold, silver, bronze, copper, keys only or full runs etc...being respectful of the interests of others is good for the community as a whole. It's the money making aspect of the hobby causes many to go to war over ethics, whether it be pressing, straight up flipping, fleecing someone's grandma etc.. retaining a pedigree is an ideal that runs counter to some of these activities.

From reading information here I'd put Namisgr at the top of the heap as far as pedigree interest goes. It's great to have a core focus that enhances your love of the hobby & he shares his knowledge here with all of us; from the PL discussion thread, the polite approach was tried in the past.

Also, the seller has in the past received private messages from me and other board members as well requesting that resubmission be done with respect for maintaining pedigree provenance. They went unheeded.

My response to above would likely be, "that's great advice, you can do that yourself after you buy it" :baiting: So I confess that I'd probably react poorly to having someone send me a PM asking me to re-sub my book so the pedigree designation could be added to the label.

Hypothetically if this seller had taken the above PM advice, re-subbed & gotten the pedigree designation - would any 'pedigree fan' support a threadkrap that raised questions in buyer's minds about accuracy of the pedigree designation on the label stating that this book was formerly in a non-pedigree slab? hm

I do feel Namisgr has explained his actions in full already & I respect his interest in pedigrees however I think the board consensus agrees with Branget's position about dumping on someone's sales thread.

So in summary, (shrug)