• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Moved...

A laudable approach. Stand behind your inventory, your grades, your business...very laudable.

However, negative comments have another impact that you might not be considering. This isn't a convention or a store where someone raises an issue and your customers are standing there and listening for your response. Given the transient nature of internet posts and the people who read them, you (as an earnest and forthright seller) may have someone make a statement or negative claim about you and your products while you are either otherwise occupied or make a statement that dozens of people see and perhaps believe causing them to exit your thread never to look back.

By the time you've returned and made your earnest, thoughtful and complete disclosure and have utterly debunked the false or misleading negative comment you have already lost all those people that saw the negative and/or false comment sans clarification or debunking from you as the seller.

It's a nice thought, and it's a great stance to take (to be transparent and clear in what you sell) but negative comments can and do harm sellers and sales threads and you cannot un-ring the bell, so to speak, because you don't have any idea who saw the comments, who heeded the comments and who may have moved on from your thread and won't return to see the clarification and correction you post afterwards.

I don't think it's unreasonable for sellers to expect people to be respectful of a threads parameters and responsible in their comments when they are stating opinion and not fact.

All the things you mention that could happen do happen regularly already. Every business has to deal with negative comments, be it on the internet, person to person, or in store. If I worried about someone saying something negative about me or my business on the internet I would have a daily nervous breakdown. I can't possibly monitor every thread here, much less on every other web-site, chat board or comic related site, or non-comic related site. Folks could be out there falsely disparaging Bedrock City all over the place. How would I know? The key is in how a business deals with those comments and their impact on that business's image. It is called public relations.

I can only deal with what I can deal with. I can control how I release information pertaining to my business. And I can control how I respond to those who comment in the areas that I monitor. If I post a sales thread and someone makes a negative comment it is up to me, and ultimately only me, to deal with it.

Moved...

A laudable approach. Stand behind your inventory, your grades, your business...very laudable.

However, negative comments have another impact that you might not be considering. This isn't a convention or a store where someone raises an issue and your customers are standing there and listening for your response. Given the transient nature of internet posts and the people who read them, you (as an earnest and forthright seller) may have someone make a statement or negative claim about you and your products while you are either otherwise occupied or make a statement that dozens of people see and perhaps believe causing them to exit your thread never to look back.

By the time you've returned and made your earnest, thoughtful and complete disclosure and have utterly debunked the false or misleading negative comment you have already lost all those people that saw the negative and/or false comment sans clarification or debunking from you as the seller.

It's a nice thought, and it's a great stance to take (to be transparent and clear in what you sell) but negative comments can and do harm sellers and sales threads and you cannot un-ring the bell, so to speak, because you don't have any idea who saw the comments, who heeded the comments and who may have moved on from your thread and won't return to see the clarification and correction you post afterwords.

I don't think it's unreasonable for sellers to expect people to be respectful of a threads parameters and responsible in their comments when they are stating opinion and not fact.

All the things you mention that could happen do happen regularly already. Every business has to deal with negative comments, be it on the internet, person to person, or in store. If I worried about someone saying something negative about me or my business on the internet I would have a daily nervous breakdown. I can't possibly monitor every thread here, much less on every other web-site, chat board or comic related site, or non-comic related site. Folks could be out there falsely disparaging Bedrock City all over the place. How would I know? The key is in how a business deals with those comments and their impact on that business's image. It is called public relations.

I can only deal with what I can deal with. I can control how I release information pertaining to my business. And I can control how I respond to those who comment in the areas that I monitor. If I post a sales thread and someone makes a negative comment it is up to me, and ultimately only me, to deal with it.

No "Hooey" this time? lol

The problem with your commentary is, we are talking about HERE, and how business is conducted on this forum. It's great that you can't do anything about other websites and blogs so you just answer questions when you can. If that works for you and you don't fele the burn of flapping orifices from coast to coast taking business away from you, that's wonderful, BUT there's a etiquette and protocol in this forum to make the wild west a little less wild.

Also, to focus the discussion to where it started. This isn't a discussion of other sites, or blogs or discussion forums. It's about comments made within the bounds of a seller's sale's thread. His territory, his temporary store, his convention booth for the moment. Something tells me if there was a guy standing at your booth at a convention telling people that you are being deceitful, without any proof that you were, you wouldn't be standing there "clarifying" anything.

The community is established to prevent people from derailing sales threads because of their opinions, suppositions and assumptions that are devoid from actual fact based claims.

The reality is, in this forum, where the structure of sales threads and the guidelines for posting and responding are clearly defined, there is an expectation of respect and etiquette not found elsewhere. That's a good thing. That shouldn't be tossed aside because "It's not like that elsewhere."

If you think that a book was pressed, or you think that a book has undisclosed resto you are a far cry from knowing or having documentation or proof. It's also the difference between making an honest and clear claim and going off halfcocked.

I don't think it's "Hooey" to demand the same respect and clarity from people making negative claims on this forum that you obviously expect from sellers.

As well, expecting people who comment within a sales thread to not make unfounded claims or unsupported allegations about you or your business is not something founded in the Tao of Hooey either.

Moved...

It's a nice thought, and it's a great stance to take (to be transparent and clear in what you sell) but negative comments can and do harm sellers and sales threads and you cannot un-ring the bell, so to speak, because you don't have any idea who saw the comments, who heeded the comments and who may have moved on from your thread and won't return to see the clarification and correction you post afterwords.

The problem with your commentary is, we are talking about HERE, and how business is conducted on this forum. It's great that you can't do anything about other websites and blogs so you just answer questions when you can. If that works for you and you don't fele the burn of flapping orifices from coast to coast taking business away from you, that's wonderful, BUT there's a etiquette and protocol in this forum to make the wild west a little less wild.

Also, to focus the discussion to where it started. This isn't a discussion of other sites, or blogs or discussion forums. It's about comments made within the bounds of a seller's sale's thread. His territory, his temporary store, his convention booth for the moment. Something tells me if there was a guy standing at your booth at a convention telling people that you are being deceitful, without any proof that you were, you wouldn't be standing there "clarifying" anything.

The community is established to prevent people from derailing sales threads because of their opinions, suppositions and assumptions that are devoid from actual fact based claims.

The reality is, in this forum, where the structure of sales threads and the guidelines for posting and responding are clearly defined, there is an expectation of respect and etiquette not found elsewhere. That's a good thing. That shouldn't be tossed aside because "It's not like that elsewhere."

If you think that a book was pressed, or you think that a book has undisclosed resto you are a far cry from knowing or having documentation or proof. It's also the difference between making an honest and clear claim and going off halfcocked.

I don't think it's "Hooey" to demand the same respect and clarity from people making negative claims on this forum that you obviously expect from sellers.

As well, expecting people who comment within a sales thread to not make unfounded claims or unsupported allegations about you or your business is not something founded in the Tao of Hooey either.

All true. But if we are narrowing it down to just this site and just the situation with Bob then your premise is faulty. His claims were not random. They were specific and fact based. If you want to compare a sales thread to a convention booth then what Bob did was state a fact at a booth in front of other potential buyers. It is something that happens all the time. The good dealers respond. The bad dealers threaten to take Bob outside and beat his . The former deal with the problem, the later exacerbate it. The same as a sales thread. A thread starter should be able to deal with a factual comment like that without making it into a worse situation. It's just good business.

Moved...

All true. But if we are narrowing it down to just this site and just the situation with Bob then your premise is faulty. His claims were not random. They were specific and fact based. If you want to compare a sales thread to a convention booth then what Bob did was state a fact at a booth in front of other potential buyers. It is something that happens all the time. The good dealers respond. The bad dealers threaten to take Bob outside and beat his . The former deal with the problem, the later exacerbate it. The same as a sales thread. A thread starter should be able to deal with a factual comment like that without making it into a worse situation. It's just good business.

I am all for knowing all I can know about a book before buying it. I would hate to think I wasn't being told something material or relevant about a book. I also like to know what the person telling me that information has to gain from it.

However, I am not sure how "fact based" all the claims in that sales thread were.

It started with a "Wow all the way from a 9.0" in the middle of a seller's thread. The detail that the book used to be a 9.0 is a fact, but that's where the "facts" end. There's no more actual information. There's no commentary about what he was implying.

Then when called on the carpet about the thread poop with no details...he went right to calling the action,

"Deceitful"

From Zero to calling the seller a liar in 3.2 seconds.

How is calling an action deceitful with no details or corroboration to clearly demonstrate that the seller was acting dishonestly the same as "stating a fact"? That was his opinion, nothing more.

I don't think a lot of folks would have had a problem if it didn't go to the extreme of that label he laid on the seller almost immediately. That's what I have a problem with, I don't think it's out of bounds to expect people who want to take these kinds of stands to do so in a responsible way.

I've seen plenty of people do it that way and they are lauded for it. Sharon mentions doing it and she did it the right way. No one but the seller hiding the resto had a problem with her.

However, I am not sure how "fact based" all the claims in that sales thread were.

It started with a "Wow all the way from a 9.0" in the middle of a seller's thread. The detail that the book used to be a 9.0 is a fact, but that's where the "facts" end. There's no more actual information. There's no commentary about what he was implying.

Then when called on the carpet about the thread poop with no details...he went right to calling the action,

"Deceitful"

From Zero to calling the seller a liar in 3.2 seconds.

Three 'fact checks':

-I never called anyone a liar.

- The comic in question used to reside in a slab with a grade two units lower. This is fact, not opinion.

- Definition of 'deceitful', which fits the attempted sale of the comic in question: Deception, beguilement, deceit, bluff, mystification, bad faith, and subterfuge are acts to propagate beliefs that are not true, or not the whole truth, as in half-truths or omission.

Your opinion and not fact is whether that omission is relevant. It is not relevant to everyone. Did he omit that he was not the original owner? Were you being deceitful when you implied the comic had lost a pedigree? Half truth?

Your opinion and not fact is whether that omission is relevant. It is not relevant to everyone. Did he omit that he was not the original owner? Were you being deceitful when you implied the comic had lost a pedigree? Half truth?

'Fact check'

- There was never any mention of the FF26 losing a pedigree designation. Indeed, it didn't: http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dfantastic%2Bfour%26ItemType%3DCB%26pg%3D5%26x%3D14%26y%3D2&id=903188

- It's not opinion but fact that the boards include buyers using the marketplace who want to know if a seller is witholding this type of information on a comic (a two-unit change in CGC grade upon regrading), information that would impact their buying decisions.

- It's understood that not every marketplace buyer wants or requires the same information to make buying decisions comfortably

- It's understood that not every marketplace buyer wants or requires the same information to make buying decisions comfortably

Correct al you failed to apply this logic in your inappropriate comments within the thread

- It's not opinion but fact that the boards include buyers using the marketplace who want to know if a seller is witholding this type of information on a comic, information that would impact their buying decisions.

It is true that buyers want to know things that will impact their buying decisions. Can't argue with that. What is not fact is whether the old grade is one of those things. As you stated above not all buyers want or require the same information. Apparently whether they want it or not you feel justified to provide it. Provide it in your own thread. The seller did not see it as relevant.

Fact check

The majority of your fact checks are facts wrapped in your opinion.

As are yours. Fact.

Fact check

As are yours. Fact.

I only have one fact check and this is it? (shrug)

I think one about covers it (thumbs u

'Fact check'

- There was never any mention of the FF26 losing a pedigree designation. Indeed, it didn't: http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dfantastic%2Bfour%26ItemType%3DCB%26pg%3D5%26x%3D14%26y%3D2&id=903188

- It's not opinion but fact that the boards include buyers using the marketplace who want to know if a seller is witholding this type of information on a comic (a two-unit change in CGC grade upon regrading), information that would impact their buying decisions.

You do realize every time you use the term "Fact Check" and/or define simple English words to college and graduate school educated people (who know exactly what the words mean already) you lose more people that might have supported your overarching theme of transparency in selling, right?

Fact check

As are yours. Fact.

Oh got it. :screwy:

Fact check

As are yours. Fact.

I'm sure Oh got it. He's pretty smart. But did you get it?

Fact check

As are yours. Fact.

Sweet. A numpty flame war. :flamed:

'Fact check'

You do realize every time you use the term "Fact Check" and/or define simple English words to college and graduate school educated people (who know exactly what the words mean already) you lose more people that might have supported your overarching theme of transparency in selling, right?

Is that a fact? hm

Fact check

As are yours. Fact.

Of course I'd did. Why wouldn't I? It's fairly obvious.........ok, no I have no clue what you're talking about. :sorry: