• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,161 posts in this topic

Just to alert the community:

Spider Dan just listed an FF #26 cgc 9.4 that was formerly graded by CGC as a 9.0. I do not know if the comic has been pressed, as Dan provides no mention on this. Ironically, after earlier in the week disclosing that another comic he was selling was a resubmission that garnered the same grade the second go-round, he has chosen to not mention the prior CGC grading on the FF #26 or the other comics in the sales thread that also sport different CGC grades than they used to.[/

You forgot to use bold, partner. Maybe a little extra large text.

:foryou:

Why the sarcastic response to posting information the way some have argued it should be posted? (shrug)

Because now you are just being vindictive versus attempting to do right by the community. But come on - you knew that, rather than me having to tell you this.

:gossip: You did know that, right?

I'm starting to wonder. All he had to do was post this in his own thread and we're all good.

yes, i don't seem to follow the logic. on the Strange Tales #135 he mentioned that it was a 9.2 and then upon regrading was still a 9.2 (w/ the caveat that a press might help) and then no mention of the regrades when the books came back higher on the FF #26, etc. to suggest this disclosure or lack thereof isn't about the $ seems naive.

Actually I meant if Bob posted that information in his own thread then we're all good but the seller posting it would also have made everyone happy.

Exactly, that's all the seller needed to post, I don't think any of us, expected the history of the world part 2;) and if it sounded like I did, that was not what I meant:)

Exactly, that's all the seller needed to post, I don't think any of us, expected the history of the world part 2;) and if it sounded like I did, that was not what I meant:)

That's exactly the right point. Nothing excessive to go above and beyond fair disclosure. Just enough to share the short-term history.

:applause:

Now back to the holiday preparation events.

Happy Holidays!

So, now everyone has to post what a book was previous to the current grade?

I thought this book would come back a CGC 9.4 when I subbed it raw. However, here it is graded a CGC 9.8.

Or

This book used to be a CGC 9.2, but it came back a CGC 9.6 on a straight resub.

I'm all for voluntarily disclosed pressing and the like, but the above is ridiculousness and all over someone's sales thread in the name of community is nothing short of rudeness.

If you people really want to be saviors, why don't you start calling out sellers who can't grade worth a damn. That might actually be constructive.

I thought this book would come back a CGC 9.4 when I subbed it raw. However, here it is graded a CGC 9.8.

Or

I'm all for voluntarily disclosed pressing and the like, but the above is ridiculousness and all over someone's sales thread in the name of community is nothing short of rudeness.

If you people really want to be saviors, why don't you start calling out sellers who can't grade worth a damn. That might actually be constructive.

I hear you, Jim and several others, that the placement was inappropriate.

As to the matter at hand, the issue is focused on comics that have been graded twice by CGC and differ by two or more grading units. As for me, I had it happen once on a straight resubmission, and when I went to sell the comic felt uncomfortable enough about it to alert the prospective buyer, who bought it anyway. For me as a buyer, however, the added information could make a big difference and would be greatly appreciated.

As for raw grading, it's a slippery slope since it's highly subjective and not a subject taught in grading college.

Thats the bottom line. You were wrong in what you did.

Ive never hidden anything from any buyers. Most of my Hi Dollar books have been sold through PM's where the buyer was told any history I've know about the book. Most people dont post the I'll take it on a $4000 book without asking questions 1st. Check my Kudo's thread... Ive sold to alot of the "Big Guns" on these Boards with nothing but good things to say about the transaction.

I think you do have any agenda, I feel that your "Policeing" my threads beacuase your on the Never Kill a Pedigree side of the fence. And thats fine.. thats your opinion. My opinion happens to be different that yours. Seems like the people are pretty split on that issue.

If it sits in a 9.6 CGC slab, then its a 9.6 according to todays standards. In my OPINION, it doesnt matter if it used to be a 9.2! How do I know that it didnt come from a 9.0 slab before that??

I went and added all the old CGC opinions in my new thread. ONLY beacuse some of the other Boardies in this discussion feel its important to THEM!

I dont want any Boardies to think Im "Deceitful".. Ive made alot of money on these Boards, but Ive also given alot of great deals to fellow Boardies, and have silently given to Charities that have come up, and Donated books (a few hi dollar ones) to be auctioned to help other Board members in thier time of need. So to say Im dishonest rubs me the wrong way!

Im officially off my Soapbox

We've all had books that rose and fell between submissions. I personally had an All-Star 58 that began graded life as a 9.6. It looked like a 9.8. On resubmission, it dropped to a 9.4. I subbed it the third time trying to get it back to a 9.6 and it came back a 9.8. One book, three different submissions and three different grades. That's how it is with CGC. No published standards equals grading flexibility and sometimes crazy shifts between submissions.

Anyone should be able to provide as little (within posted board selling guidelines) or as much information in a sales thread as they want. However, the expectation of or the requirement of a seller to say a book was previously graded a different grade by CGC is reaching. What you see and what you are paying for is that number in the upper left hand corner. It doesn't matter what it was or what it might be in the future. It's what it is at the time of the sale.

I know that all 9.4s, 9.6s, 9.8s or X.Xs aren't the same. My advice to everyone is not to purchase a CGC graded book from someone who doesn't offer a return policy. If you receive a book you don't feel is reflective of the given grade, then send it back.

Ive never hidden anything from any buyers. Most of my Hi Dollar books have been sold through PM's where the buyer was told any history I've know about the book. Most people dont post the I'll take it on a $4000 book without asking questions 1st.
Wow!

I'm ONLY arguing for disclosure of as much information as a seller has available So, if I press a book, or color on it, or if I CRACK it, I'm going to just write that in my description

If you were only arguing for disclosure I would not be involved in the discussion. By condoning Bob's actions you are insisting or demanding what you feel is disclosure. That is what should not be tolerated.

Disclosure isn't even the issue. The issue is really what rights a boardie has in presenting information that is not presented by the seller. A seller has every right to describe an item for sale in any way. Disclose, don't disclose, that is entirely up to the seller. But if someone has information that is not dislosed do they have a right to present it to the public?

This coming from someone who had no problem threadkrapping in a thread dedicated to the memorial of a dead man :eyeroll:

I am not defending disclosure.

It's fairly obvious that you are not defending disclosure. What you are defending is a seller's ability to have total control of any information presented in a sales thread.

You don't know the reason for not mentioning a prior grade. The majority that posted here do not care to know the prior grade.

Believe me, as one who truly does not care about prior grades, your statement here is false, or at the least completely unprovable.

You are assuming that the prior grade has an effect on price or that the new grade is less accurate than the old grade. Buyer beware of what?

Most that have taken Bob's position follow it up with saying they likely would not have done it Bob's way. That is the problem. Bob did it that way. Bob also did not inform the consumer of anything. He simply confused the situation. He did nothing to explain the situation, his view, the majority view, how it affects the value or resale, the CGC notes, the old CGC notes, his opinion of the grade.....what was clarified to inform the buyer?

But we have not established that what Bob did was wrong. True, a lot of people don't like what Bob did. But was it wrong. You seem to think so. But I don't. Again, as you said before, your assumption are based totally on opinion. Fact.

You are once again assuming the seller is hiding something and also that he is hiding it because of the bottom line. It is just as likely that he is selling a CGC 9.4 book and that the past grade is irrelevant to him.

Then why would he care what Bob had to say? It goes both ways.

This coming from someone who had no problem threadkrapping in a thread dedicated to the memorial of a dead man :eyeroll:

Which one was that? I'm not denying it, at this point, but apparently I've forgotten it.

Or

I don't think this is about a seller's requirement to disclose. It is about the proper etiquette in presenting the undisclosed information by a third party.

Or

I don't think this is about a seller's requirement to disclose. It is about the proper etiquette in presenting the undisclosed information by a third party.

If the third party wants to disclose the information, then they can post in this thread or start a thread in General. 2c

Or

If the third party wants to disclose the information, then they can post in this thread or start a thread in General. 2c

I am obviously in a very small minority, but I have no problem with them posting that information right smack dab in the middle of the sales thread. It is more concise and easier to spot for all concerned.

And it is certainly a ton more entertaining for the bystanders.

Or

I am obviously in a very small minority, but I have no problem with them posting that information right smack dab in the middle of the sales thread. It is more concise and easier to spot for all concerned.

You are so selfish.

Or

You are easily amused. :baiting: