• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

My 2c on the 3% thing.

Sure it's wrong for seller to insist somebody pay personal or "spring" the 3% fee upon somebody in PMs after a :takeit: .

But there's one thing I don't think is wrong.

If the seller offers to pass the 3% savings to the buyer if they pay by check or money order.

After all since when has it been a "Bad Business Practice" to pass the savings on to the customer?

:sumo:

Totally agree. People claim that a seller should add the paypal fees in his asking price; well, when a seller offer a discount if you pay with MO he's doing exactly that: he added the fees to the asking price but if you, as a buyer, will save him a few bucks, he'll back the favor to you by offering a discount.

And let me open a similar can of worms, mind you, it's not my intention at all to rise any controversy, I just like to ask what is the general consensus about something that interest me as a overseas buyer.

Here's the thing: many time I read on sales threads that shipping within the USA is free and international buyers pays exact shipping. Should a seller that offer free domestic shipping offering a similar discount on international shipping cost?

Here's the thing: many time I read on sales threads that shipping within the USA is free and international buyers pays exact shipping. Should a seller that offer free domestic shipping offering a similar discount on international shipping cost?

That's an interesting one.

Is the question whether the cost of domestic shipping should be reduced from the cost of the international, so as to provide as much "freeness" to the int'l as the domestics get?

I belive that if a seller offer a discount, than he should give it to every potential costumer, not only to a selected category

So what is the answer to your query? Are you saying he should eat international shipping which could be $20 - infinity in costs? Or that international customers should receive the value of free domestic shipping?

The latter has some cachet with me, the former is abject craziness.

Other factors than just flat cost are involved with International Sales. There can be little or no valid tracking. A much longer time to reach the destination and accompanying potential for damage or theft along the way. Higher PayPal fees to the seller for International purchases. It is just not the same as shipping within your own country and should not be likened to it.

So for everyone upset that some sellers charge +3% for Paypal, how do you feel about buyer's premiums that the auction houses charge? Every time one of those threads start up, the defenders come right out and just tell everyone to figure that amount into their maximum bid. No big deal right?

Horribly lame, to that point that I never see myself buying anything from HA.

I don't know that I've ever seen that. Usually what I see is free domestic shipping, and some amount off international, like ten bucks or whatever.

My 2c on the 3% thing.

Sure it's wrong for seller to insist somebody pay personal or "spring" the 3% fee upon somebody in PMs after a :takeit: .

But there's one thing I don't think is wrong.

If the seller offers to pass the 3% savings to the buyer if they pay by check or money order.

After all since when has it been a "Bad Business Practice" to pass the savings on to the customer?

:sumo:

deadhorse.gif

I'm gonna say this one is officially dead. There are two ways to look at it, plain and simple. I'd only suggest that sellers take note of how some potential customers interpret their listings.

So for everyone upset that some sellers charge +3% for Paypal, how do you feel about buyer's premiums that the auction houses charge? Every time one of those threads start up, the defenders come right out and just tell everyone to figure that amount into their maximum bid. No big deal right?

I buy stuff from HA all the time and the BP doesn't bother me except to the extent that it requires some arithmetic to figure out how much I want to bid (although they do the arithmetic for you on the screen just before you enter your bid). With HA, I realize I'm dealing with an auction house and that's what auction houses do. On the boards I think (or, maybe, like to pretend) that I'm dealing with fellow hobbyists. So being asked to pick up the one fee that a seller on the board has to pay is annoying enough that I just won't buy from those threads.

I buy stuff from HA all the time and the BP doesn't bother me except to the extent that it requires some arithmetic to figure out how much I want to bid (although they do the arithmetic for you on the screen just before you enter your bid). With HA, I realize I'm dealing with an auction house and that's what auction houses do. On the boards I think (or, maybe, like to pretend) that I'm dealing with fellow hobbyists. So being asked to pick up the one fee that a seller on the board has to pay is annoying enough that I just won't buy from those threads.

The way I see it, there's a reason that they don't take the BP off the top of your bid behind the scenes: they've tested it, and they get more money this way. You're totally right that this is their business practice and they're welcome to it, but I find it a tad predatory and am happy not to participate.

Is the question whether the cost of domestic shipping should be reduced from the cost of the international, so as to provide as much "freeness" to the int'l as the domestics get?

Yes.

Say it cost about $10 to ship USA and it's included in the BIN price, but it cost $30 to go to Europe (or wherever), then the overseas extra shipping price should be $20.

Yes.

Say it cost about $10 to ship USA and it's included in the BIN price, but it cost $30 to go to Europe (or wherever), then the overseas extra shipping price should be $20.

I've seen many sellers do exactly that.

And it makes me happy. :cloud9:

I belive that if a seller offer a discount, than he should give it to every potential costumer, not only to a selected category

So what is the answer to your query? Are you saying he should eat international shipping which could be $20 - infinity in costs? Or that international customers should receive the value of free domestic shipping?

Sean, you are smart enough to know that the right answer is the latter.

Never said seller should eat international shipping cost in full....only that if they offer free domestic shipping (lets say $10) then it would be a great customer service practice to offer a similar discount on international shipping (lets say $30 minus $8-$10)

I don't know that I've ever seen that. Usually what I see is free domestic shipping, and some amount off international, like ten bucks or whatever.

Belive me, it happens a lot.

To be fair, I have to say that there are seller who DO offer discount on international shipping, but may dont

Other factors than just flat cost are involved with International Sales. There can be little or no valid tracking. A much longer time to reach the destination and accompanying potential for damage or theft along the way. Higher PayPal fees to the seller for International purchases. It is just not the same as shipping within your own country and should not be likened to it.

This is true for any kind of shipment, domestic or international.

I believe that was his point yep. I certainly wouldn't expect it, if sellers want to offer free domestic shipping into their prices that's completely up to them. I understand you can get domestic parcels picked up from your house over there (jammy bleeders) but have to physically go to the PO to ship international? Taking that into consideration I fully understand sellers not wanting to give discounts on international shipping.

It would be a nice touch but something I wouldn't expect to see and wouldn't have my nose put out if it wasn't offered.

This is true for any kind of shipment, domestic or international.

The potential is greater the longer it is out of the hands of the seller and buyer, the further it has to travel and the more agencies or companies it has to go through.

Belive me, it happens a lot.

To be fair, I have to say that there are seller who DO offer discount on international shipping, but may dont

So let's say I sell you a $100 comic and it's going to cost $30 to get it to you. What difference does it make if I sell it to you at $100 + $30 shipping, or $110 + $20 shipping?

It really seems like ignorance is bliss in this discussion. Either way, you're paying for the fees, or you're paying for the shipping costs. The difference, on one hand, is the seller is giving you the appearance that you are getting a "deal" when in fact, that "deal" is just being built into the sales price. (shrug)

Sean, you are smart enough to know that the right answer is the latter.

Never said seller should eat international shipping cost in full....only that if they offer free domestic shipping (lets say $10) then it would be a great customer service practice to offer a similar discount on international shipping (lets say $30 minus $8-$10)

If I offer free domestic shipping, I offer a discount on International shipping here...I do it to be fair to the out of area boarders, but it's a PITA, lol.

First of all, I think I've only sold one or two slabs in my life, I usually keep those, so most of my books can go out inexpensively here ...and for much less than $10.

2ndly, Paypal fees for out of the US are higher ...and lastly

We can have priority international mail picked up, but not first class. I get free priority boxes, but if I want to send something first class I need to find a box, drive to the PO and fill out all kinds of paper work.

If I were selling $100 books, I could see it, but usually I'm selling $10 books, unless someone takes a bunch it really is not worth my time to take an extra hour to mail it...and I hate to insist on Priority for out of the US...because of the cost...I've tried it, but I always feel guilty asking.

I've tried all kinds of combinations...offering to ship out of the US priority only, offering to ship first class for a minimum purchase...just have not found a happy medium yet....

I don't think it's that people want to be mean to out of US buyers, it's just a small series of inconveniences that seem to add up.

What's a bleeding jammer?