• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

There was one guy a few months ago with a GA book who was persistent with this. He highlighted the last GPA sale (without giving other info), which was way over FMV. When no one would bite, he kept bumping his thread pointing out he was offering the book "way below GPA." He became exasperated that no one would buy the fabulous bargain he was offering. :D

USPS Flat-Rate Medium boxes, the 11x8.5x5.5 sized one. You can get 50 comics in one of those well packaged & packed, and it will only cost $12.35 in the US. Anything larger than 50 comics, IDK. I have never shipped a short- or long-box before, but there are people here that have.

You might want to try the search function first, then maybe post this is Comics General.

(thumbs u

-slym

Thank you very much slym!

Someone listed a book for sale and then listed past sales including when he purchased it (pre-pressing) and the amount he purchased it for. His asking price is almost double his original price, none of which I have a problem with, but when I realized he had outright stated what he had paid for the book previously I just kept thinking...

GIF.gif

Someone listed a book for sale and then listed past sales including when he purchased it (pre-pressing) and the amount he purchased it for. His asking price is almost double his original price, none of which I have a problem with, but when I realized he had outright stated what he had paid for the book previously I just kept thinking...

GIF.gif

Well, we can't say he isn't being transparent now, can we? lol

GIF.gif

Well, we can't say he isn't being transparent now, can we? lol

Dang straight...

Yep - kudos for transparency. I suppose the argument is that the press was a value-adding service that he provided for the next owner of the book. Problem with that is that the book would be worth less to me now than it was pre-press...but that's just me...I'm probably in the minority :facepalm:

Yep - kudos for transparency. I suppose the argument is that the press was a value-adding service that he provided for the next owner of the book. Problem with that is that the book would be worth less to me now than it was pre-press...but that's just me...I'm probably in the minority :facepalm:

Correct :baiting:

I have some technical questions about paypal's dispute resolution process:

Q1: I'm the buyer seeking a refund for goods paid but undelivered. If I "escalate" to force paypal to decide the issue, what kind of additional information may paypal ask for in deciding the case?

Q2: If the seller never responds at all to the dispute resolution process, is there still a chance paypal may decide against me?

Q3: If paypal does decide for me and issues a refund, what consequences are there for the seller?

I greatly appreciate any information or insight. :)

Cheers,

Robert

I have some technical questions about paypal's dispute resolution process:

Q1: I'm the buyer seeking a refund for goods paid but undelivered. If I "escalate" to force paypal to decide the issue, what kind of additional information may paypal ask for in deciding the case?

Q2: If the seller never responds at all to the dispute resolution process, is there still a chance paypal may decide against me?

Q3: If paypal does decide for me and issues a refund, what consequences are there for the seller?

I greatly appreciate any information or insight. :)

Cheers,

Robert

1 - as the buyer I don't think you'll have to provide anything. It's up to the seller to prove the item was delivered to you (tracking number confirmation etc)

2 - it's possible. You may even win if the seller never responds but the case can be reopened if the seller asks for an extension etc. However I think once the issue is escalated to Paypal those decisions are final - I could be wrong here.

3 - I'm not sure. Outside of the money being returned to you (and the seller obligated to provide those funds) I am not aware of x number of cases decided against you and your account closed if that's what you are wondering.

I'm new here (well new by most people's standards) but is it mostly dealers here or collectors buying comics on the For Sale threads? I just notice people buying a lot of raw comics in the for sale section especially keys many times multiple copies of the same comic if available. Then I see those same comics CGC graded and posted a few weeks later at 4-5x the price.

I'm all for capitalism and making a buck and not mad I missed out on any comics but I have never seen this type of behavior be accepted on a collector site before. People are usually eviscerated by this behavior but here people seem to be cheered on for snagging deals only to turn around and sell them. If that's the norm cool, just surprising is all.

I've got some real nice deals from people and everyone seems really cool but that is just really weird to me. I'm used to people nerd raging on folks that do that stuff.

Edited by ianh

I'm new here (well new by most people's standards) but is it mostly dealers here or collectors buying comics on the For Sale threads? I just notice people buying a lot of raw comics in the for sale section especially keys many times multiple copies of the same comic if available. Then I see those same comics CGC graded and posted a few weeks later at 4-5x the price.

I'm all for capitalism and making a buck and not mad I missed out on any comics but I have never seen this type of behavior be accepted on a collector site before. People are usually eviscerated by this behavior but here people seem to be cheered on for snagging deals only to turn around and sell them. If that's the norm cool, just surprising is all.

I've got some real nice deals from people and everyone seems really cool but that is just really weird to me. I'm used to people nerd raging on folks that do that stuff.

No offense, but why does it matter who's buying what?

Also, if you were buying a new car, would you expect to pay the same price that the dealership paid the manufacturer? If you're "all for capitalism" then I'd suggest just letting it be. We are talking collectibles here...they are only worth what someone is willing to pay ;)

I'm new here as well, but I've learned quickly that these types of questions don't get far on the boards, and they generally just unnecessarily aggrivate people. 2c

Welcome to the Boards :)

I think if a person was to contact another member, asking to purchase a book for his/her collection, then flipped the book for a large profit, that would not be cool. I see no harm in purchasing books in FS threads and flipping for a profit. (large or small)

Oh, and I believe there's more books purchased here publically by collectors, rather than dealers.

I think that's not an accurate assessment across the board (pun intended). There have been discussions about folks that charge excessively high prices for things once encapsulated. Typically that's an amount above the "GPA" which attempts to track the sales of such things on places like Ebay, Mycomicshop.com and others.

It doesn't capture everything because of private sales, etc. That said many people use that as a meter stick to establish FMV.

A courtesy typically extended to board members here is 'exclusive' prices not available elsewhere (Like on Ebay). These prices are often less than the GPA and folks respect and appreciate that...regardless of what someone paid for a 'raw' comic. Someone purchasing a raw comic in spite of the perceived grade from pictures is taking a measured risk that upon sending it to the CGC it will in fact be an established grade that they expected. There are often surprises and hence it's a risk/reward ratio that they take upon themselves.

When there are sellers that don't adhere to the board standards they get flagged here and I've found this particular thread to be especially helpful. I also don't think anyone begrudges anyone else some healthy sales profit where merited.

Anyway, that's just my .02

Lots of good people here, some treat you better than family. I've gotten some great deals and have offered some as well (IMO).

No offense, but why does it matter who's buying what?

Also, if you were buying a new car, would you expect to pay the same price that the dealership paid the manufacturer? If you're "all for capitalism" then I'd suggest just letting it be. We are talking collectibles here...they are only worth what someone is willing to pay ;)

I'm new here as well, but I've learned quickly that these types of questions don't get far on the boards, and they generally just unnecessarily aggrivate people. 2c

Welcome to the Boards :)

No offense, thanks for your 2 cents but don't tell me what to do. I was curious which is why I asked. If it's acceptable here I have no problem with it I have just been on way too many websites where this was frowned upon so it's interesting is all. And if I decide to flip a comic I saw at a good deal then go me as long as it's a fair price.

Yes I would expect to pay what the dealership paid. If anyone knows what they are doing that is exactly what they pay for a new car from a dealership. Dealerships make their money on rebates from the manufacturer for selling so many cars in a month. More cars sold in a month = more $$ per car. They also make money on the back end selling you warranties. Sorry but bad analogy is bad.

If you aren't going to answer a question my advice is to keep your fingers off the keyboard, there's my 2 cents for ya.

Welcome to the boards as well.

Edited by ianh

I think that's not an accurate assessment across the board (pun intended). There have been discussions about folks that charge excessively high prices for things once encapsulated. Typically that's an amount above the "GPA" which attempts to track the sales of such things on places like Ebay, Mycomicshop.com and others.

It doesn't capture everything because of private sales, etc. That said many people use that as a meter stick to establish FMV.

A courtesy typically extended to board members here is 'exclusive' prices not available elsewhere (Like on Ebay). These prices are often less than the GPA and folks respect and appreciate that...regardless of what someone paid for a 'raw' comic. Someone purchasing a raw comic in spite of the perceived grade from pictures is taking a measured risk that upon sending it to the CGC it will in fact be an established grade that they expected. There are often surprises and hence it's a risk/reward ratio that they take upon themselves.

When there are sellers that don't adhere to the board standards they get flagged here and I've found this particular thread to be especially helpful. I also don't think anyone begrudges anyone else some healthy sales profit where merited.

Anyway, that's just my .02

Lots of good people here, some treat you better than family. I've gotten some great deals and have offered some as well (IMO).

I appreciate the response and that is cool. Just curious as there are a lot of great people in this community from what I have seen, and great deals to be had. Plus you pretty much know you are getting what you paid for grade wise as most people seem to know what they are doing when grading (I sure do not as a long time comic collector but new to CGC).

Glad to be here, just was wondering and certainly wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers.

Edited by ianh

I was always under the impression that folks who sold the raw books were also making some profit on those books. I always looked at those instances you mention as win/win.

I would also mention that many times books don't always sell for 4 to 5 times greater than the raw copy after it's been slabbed. Most folks here are pretty well informed and sell their books at the right cost. It's rare that books are sold cheap, but it does happen.

I'm new here (well new by most people's standards) but is it mostly dealers here or collectors buying comics on the For Sale threads?

This site has a mix of small time collectors, big time collectors, small time & big time dealers (who do lots of conventions) and dealers who have their own online site or ebay marketplace where they sell.

Some people are looking for books for their personal collection, most people are always on the look out for deals that they know they can make money on (in order to fund more purchases for their personal collection), and some people are just looking for inventory for their own business (whether thats cons or online).

I just notice people buying a lot of raw comics in the for sale section especially keys many times multiple copies of the same comic if available. Then I see those same comics CGC graded and posted a few weeks later at 4-5x the price.

CGC grading costs money (and time). So the purchase of a raw book will always be cheaper than the purchase of a CGCed book. Expect a $200 raw book to sell for at least $250 (or more) slabbed.

Why should it increase in price more than the cost of CGC service? Well Im glad you asked!

1. buying a raw book (especially online) has inherrant risks associated with it. You are buying based on a few scans or photos (not always the best quality scans). You are relying on the sellers ability to grade. You dont have the book in hand to look at interiors, check for restoration etc. Lots of risk.

2. Buying a CGCed book (especially online) removes those risks (there are the rare exceptions, but we're talking about the 99.9% of the time. That assurance implies a cost, which accounts for some of the price increase vs raw.

Typically what you are seeing happen is with "hot books" of the moment (typically movie related). Do you want to point to specific sales or books?