• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I think Casey was specifically talking about a 1st impression but I personally pay closer attention to the later impressions to see if the 1st impression is consistent or an act.

Casey is right, you can't make a 1st impression more than once but I prefer a real impression.

Oh, and boobies. :devil:

There's another angle on this that I found fascinating...sometimes first impressions are the truest because of later rationalizations and the ability of the mind to use its full capacity, much of it unexplainable with logic. This leads to a gut reaction that is often correct, even though there seemingly wasn't enough information to process a result.

There's a great book on this by Malcolm Gladwell called Blink.

Brilliant. Although I thought people always put much more effort into 1st impressions than any other and I assume them to be more faked than genuine later impressions.

I think Casey was specifically talking about a 1st impression but I personally pay closer attention to the later impressions to see if the 1st impression is consistent or an act.

Casey is right, you can't make a 1st impression more than once but I prefer a real impression.

There's another angle on this that I found fascinating...sometimes first impressions are the truest because of later rationalizations and the ability of the mind to use its full capacity, much of it unexplainable with logic. This leads to a gut reaction that is often correct, even though there seemingly wasn't enough information to process a result.

Brilliant. Although I thought people always put much more effort into 1st impressions than any other and I assume them to be more faked than genuine later impressions.

+1

I have experienced this a lot as well. I tend to sit back and just let time do the work.

Absolutely, just like a first date. :) Everyone has a handy facade that isn't energy-efficient for the long haul.

Sometimes the initial facade that people wear is more revealing than anything...

Absolutely, just like a first date. :) Everyone has a handy facade that isn't energy-efficient for the long haul.

:ohnoez:

Pat, I very much appreciate you, you know that...but I did pm John and explain that I grew up in "Da Bronx" and I've heard all of that stuff before, I just don't think we should be teaching English using Rap as a guideline;)

I'm glad he agreed not to discuss undergarments again;) We are fine, lol.

I think all of us should treat each other with respect, male or female.

Regarding newbies...I really like newbies. I've met some very nice ones. I think newbies are the lifeblood of the hobby. It's great seeing new people join in.

It's sad to see that SOME are scammers, but I think at least 2 of them are a shill for Alleybat, so that might be why it's seemed so terrible lately.

I still feel like a newbie myself...I'm always learning something here. I'll gladly sit in the newbie corner anytime...you gain fresh perspectives that way.

The issue that we have been dealing with the past few days has never been about newbies...it's been about disrespecting those who are different.

Really great to see people introducing themselves...I'm going to sing Kumbaya or "We Shall Overcome" (in memory of Pete Seeger) if I don't get some sleep... and I'm going to make Pat, Chris and Logan join me...so I'll give them a break and say goodnight;)

Sometimes the initial facade that people wear is more revealing than anything...

Dang, I was hoping you wouldn't find out I was a scumbag until this summer :sorry:

Dang, I was hoping you wouldn't find out I was a scumbag until this summer :sorry:

lol summer? Aren't you going to C2E2?

Yes, springtime it is then :banana:

Yes, springtime it is then :banana:

Wool hooo! Convention season!!!

After reading through almost fifty upsetting pages tonight,these last half dozen or so have been a refreshing joy.I hope we all have a good week,and I would like to take the time to say I love and respect all of y'all. :foryou::banana:

Quills aside porcuhugs for everybody.What an unsettling weekend,so glad things seem to have calmed a little and tempers and feelings are down to room temperature.

PS I love comics,lots

Jimmers