• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I think the raffle/mystery box stuff is fine as long as there is full disclosure. If the buyer knows what they are getting into then the onus is on them.

That being said any of these without full disclosure should not be allowed and shut down/seller tarred and feathered. I see it as a scam.

Looks like this just became moot - Arch just posted a new rule in the forum guidelines:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7476159#Post7476159

I think the raffle/mystery box stuff is fine as long as there is full disclosure. If the buyer knows what they are getting into then the onus is on them.

That being said any of these without full disclosure should not be allowed and shut down/seller tarred and feathered. I see it as a scam.

Looks like this just became moot - Arch just posted a new rule in the forum guidelines:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7476159#Post7476159

I think that is a bad rule. With raffles and mystery boxes it's always buyer beware. I think 1Cool was doing it just fine and on the up and up. I'm not pleased about it.

• Administrator

It might be kind of fun marketing, and people may even like it - but it can also be for-profit gambling, which is regulated and has legal restrictions. I don't think we can be involved in sorting that out, so they have to go.

• Administrator

If he chooses to complete his process off-line away from the boards that's up to him. If this was just a rule change because we thought it was better policy to avoid this approach as a preference, I'd let him ride it out. Since the reason for excluding these is that there are legal complications, we've got to cut it off.

Edited by Architecht

If he chooses to complete his process off-line away from the boards that's up to him. If this was just a rule change because we thought it was better policy to avoid this approach as a preference, I'd let him ride it out. Since the reason for excluding these is that there are legal complications, we've got to cut it off.

Arch! :o

:cloud9:

A new thread was started in comics general in attempt to fix some of the problems that has been plaguing the PIF thread. A number of us have contributed to making this happen.

Please check out the new thread and vote here: PIF proposed rule changes

Let’s make the Pay It Forward thread more enjoyable and accessible to a much larger portion of the board.

Thank you to everyone who has discussed improving the PIF through the PIF discussion thread and PMs.

so raffle =no

mystery boxes = yes

?

At first glance, I think the raffle is a bit more straight up and fraught with less problems than mystery boxes.