• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

What this pay it forward thing and why does anyone care?

No one asked you to care. You are either a participant in it or you are not. (shrug)

What this pay it forward thing and why does anyone care?

No one asked you to care. You are either a participant in it or you are not. (shrug)

:gossip: You ain't bout dat life.

I'd like to care, but I don't quite understand it completely.

I mean, I have no problem giving a book away if it means someone else can enjoy it, but I am not sure where it goes from there

I'd like to care, but I don't quite understand it completely.

I mean, I have no problem giving a book away if it means someone else can enjoy it, but I am not sure where it goes from there

You choose a book or other stuff, then offer something in return for the next guy. Where would you want it to go from there? I mean you can make really good friends there but I am not for sure what else you would expect.

Isn't the nature of giving away free stuff, exploitation? Thats why I see it as a non issue and would really like someone to give me a five bullet point summary about what this 10 people coupe thing is.

No

Isn't the nature of giving away free stuff, exploitation? Thats why I see it as a non issue and would really like someone to give me a five bullet point summary about what this 10 people coupe thing is.

No

- people offer books for free to the participants in the thread (first to claim gets them). There are no fixed rules about the value of what is offered

- the person who claims then has to put up their own offer

- in the past, some very generous offers have been claimed, with the boardie who claimed them following up with junk books (hence "junk donkey").

- this caused lots of resentment. Several people became disillusioned and stopped participating in the thread.

- (very) recently, the thread rules were changed to try to mitigate this problem. 10 people voted against the rule change - the inference being that these are the "junk donkeys" who will now be prevented from scooping up the good offers and not reciprocating appropriately.

- people offer books for free to the participants in the thread (first to claim gets them). There are no fixed rules about the value of what is offered

- in the past, some very generous offers have been claimed, with the boardie who claimed them following up with junk books (hence "junk donkey").

- this caused lots of resentment. Several people became disillusioned and stopped participating in the thread.

- (very) recently, the thread rules were changed to try to mitigate this problem. 10 people voted against the rule change - the inference being that these are the "junk donkeys" who will now be prevented from scooping up the good offers and not reciprocating appropriately.

:o

A straight answer. This should be stickied in the PIF.

:applause: Well done Belham!

Ive never messed with PIF thread, it would be cooler if the lot you offered had to be worth at least $5 more than what you took. I wonder how big it could get. hm

PIF has never been about value, just common sense.

If you seen some very expensive offer and all you have in your longbox is sawdust, then just *maybe* you should let that PIF go to someone more well-equipped to reciprocate, and wait til someone else offers up sawdust.