• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Why are people ragging on this guy? He wants to get to 50 posts - it's not like he's hiding it.

If he's posting inane things in order to do so, that puts him in company with about 99% of the boardies here. You're acting like he's some kind of scammer. He wants to participate in the PIF thread, and he knows what the requirements are. Look, if he ends up joining in and junk-donkeying up the joint then by all means bash him. Otherwise, give it a rest.

If you really want to rail against inconsequential posts, go and stalk Kav or something.

Why are people ragging on this guy? He wants to get to 50 posts - it's not like he's hiding it.

If he's posting inane things in order to do so, that puts him in company with about 99% of the boardies here. You're acting like he's some kind of scammer. He wants to participate in the PIF thread, and he knows what the requirements are. Look, if he ends up joining in and junk-donkeying up the joint then by all means bash him. Otherwise, give it a rest.

If you really want to rail against inconsequential posts, go and stalk Kav or something.

you do realize he has already changed his name once, and all signs point to him being a shill

you do realize he has already changed his name once, and all signs point to him being a shill

So what if he changed his name? Lots of people do that just after joining the boards. Like I said, if he actually does something wrong, or tries to, then by all means bash away.

My money is on "a shill of a current junk donkey", which is what scammers will do to try and circumvent the new rules.

They claim a killer PIF, then list their junk offer, which their new shill claims (saving them shipping costs, he/she just sends them to himself) and then it's back to the PIF claiming races.

Just keep an eye on who this new guy is claiming PIFs from, and it shouldn't be too hard to join the dots.

Why in the world would you try to encourage people to rail against Kav? He may annoy some people with his posting style, but at least he's making an effort to contribute to the boards and engage in genuine conversation.

You've been here long enough to know that nobody is "railing", "ragging" and "bashing" this guy and treating him like a scammer. But if someone is going to try to circumvent the spirit of a rule (without technically breaking it)...then they should expect to take a few jabs. Especially after 50 posts of "nice book". Beyonder took notice of this effort on the 26th at 8 p.m.....and by 9 a.m the next day, the name change had been requested and granted. Coincidence? Possibly...but a pretty strange one.

Why in the world would you try to encourage people to rail against Kav? He may annoy some people with his posting style, but at least he's making an effort to contribute to the boards and engage in genuine conversation.

You've been here long enough to know that nobody is "railing", "ragging" and "bashing" this guy and treating him like a scammer. But if someone is going to try to circumvent the spirit of a rule (without technically breaking it)...then they should expect to take a few jabs. Especially after 50 posts of "nice book". Beyonder took notice of this effort on the 26th at 8 p.m.....and by 9 a.m the next day, the name change had been requested and granted. Coincidence? Possibly...but a pretty strange one.

Appearances to the contrary aside, I don't really feel strongly enough about this Cemetary guy to engage in a big debate over semantics, but just quickly: I don't know that what he's doing is circumventing the spirit of the PIF rules at all. It's not uncommon for new boardies to be encouraged to go elsewhere and up their post counts so that they can participate.

"New boardie posts a load of rubbish and changes his name" is hardly newsworthy, is it? Forgive me if I read the earlier comments as people thinking they were cleverly unearthing some kind of scam.

Oh, and on Kav - I was (flippantly) encouraging people to rage against inconsequential posts, not against him in particular. Although I will confess to being annoyed by the frequency of his posts, if not the style.

Appearances to the contrary aside, I don't really feel strongly enough about this Cemetary guy to engage in a big debate over semantics, but just quickly: I don't know that what he's doing is circumventing the spirit of the PIF rules at all. It's not uncommon for new boardies to be encouraged to go elsewhere and up their post counts so that they can participate.

"New boardie posts a load of rubbish and changes his name" is hardly newsworthy, is it? Forgive me if I read the earlier comments as people thinking they were cleverly unearthing some kind of scam.

Oh, and on Kav - I was (flippantly) encouraging people to rage against inconsequential posts, not against him in particular. Although I will confess to being annoyed by the frequency of his posts, if not the style.

New member signs up and bumps 25 marketplace threads with the same "amazing books" comment.

Changes name and does the exact same thing again.

Are you really jumping in to defend this behaviour? Really?

New member signs up and bumps 25 marketplace threads with the same "amazing books" comment.

Changes name and does the exact same thing again.

Are you really jumping in to defend this behaviour? Really?

lol

Good lord. Read my posts and then ask yourself if I am defending his behaviour. He hasn't even broken any rule - there's nothing to defend!

All I was trying to say is that it's not DEFINITELY evidence of foul play or bad intentions on his part. Look, he may well come over to the PIF thread, take a nice offer and junk the place up - in which case you can pat yourself on the back.

Until something like that happens, I just ask myself whether it's really worth commenting on. Clearly a lot of people feel like it is. Fine - like I said, I really don't feel that strongly about it. Go to town.

If your concern is that you think the posting requirement should be raised for the PIF thread (or changed to a membership duration, as joe suggested), then there's a discussion thread where that point could easily and productively be made.

Then why even have the stupid rule? Especially if someone can just be encouraged to take an hour and make 50 single word posts to get around it. If that wouldn't be considered circumventing the spirit of the rule...then I don't know what would....because it makes the rule absolutely worthless.

And who said it was newsworthy? You seem to be making more drama out of this than anybody else is. Once it was discovered and pointed out, it was obvious what he was doing...and he was getting a few jabs for it. Plain and simple. The fact that he then went and requested a name change afterwards just made it suspicious. And as I said above...that could be a coincidence...but the timing was a bit odd.

Then why even have the stupid rule? Especially if someone can just be encouraged to take an hour and make 50 single word posts to get around it. If that wouldn't be considered circumventing the spirit of the rule...then I don't know what would....because it makes the rule absolutely worthless.

And who said it was newsworthy? You seem to be making more drama out of this than anybody else is. Once it was discovered and pointed out, it was obvious what he was doing...and he was getting a few jabs for it. Plain and simple. The fact that he then went and requested a name change afterwards just made it suspicious. And as I said above...that could be a coincidence...but the timing was a bit odd.

No intention to create drama - just offering a different viewpoint. One which does not appear to have gone down well. lol

I agree it's obvious what he's doing. I don't agree that that means he's by definition a scammer/shill/junk donkey ALTHOUGH THAT IS POSSIBLE.

I have no idea what the origin of the 50 post rule was. I do know that there's been a discussion on it recently - many people (including me) agree that it's not very effective. It may well be changed to a higher level and/or 6 months membership (or some other length of time). I'd support that.

If your concern is that you think the posting requirement should be raised for the PIF thread (or changed to a membership duration, as joe suggested), then there's a discussion thread where that point could easily and productively be made.

The 6-month waiting period was already agreed on, but due to not wanting to attempt pushing through too many new rules at once, it was put on the back-burner for now.

But it will definitely be proposed in a forum poll soon.

I couldn't care less about the PIF thread. (shrug)

Bumping 50 inactive marketplace threads is asshattery at its finest though.

Exactly, but once we propose a 6-month waiting period, this asshattery-based behavior should come to a quick end.

The 6-month waiting period was already agreed on, but due to not wanting to attempt pushing through too many new rules at once, it was put on the back-burner for now.

But it will definitely be proposed in a forum poll soon.

Good. Like I said, I support that. It'd be a lot more effective than 50 posts (or 100, or 250, for that matter).

Which is why we wanted a 6-month waiting period for PIF, which would eliminate all but the most hardcore psychos.

I don't see why we can't do that. Isn't there a one year minimum to participate in the secret santa?