• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Thanks. I'm really not trying to be a pain the butt on this.

I'd just wait 6 months and pick one up for $125 or less.

GPA 90 day is $135 and there's been only one sale above that...at $178.

These weren't a deal. At all. You didn't miss anything. It's modern with 50+ copies in blue 9.8 on the census. A few high sales and some hype and there will be 100 in a couple months.

You'll be able to wallpaper your boat house with 'em they'll be so cheap.

With the Winter Soldier likely becoming the next Captain America and starring in Marvel movies for the next decade this could easily prove to be false.

Thanks. I'm really not trying to be a pain the butt on this.

I'd just wait 6 months and pick one up for $125 or less.

GPA 90 day is $135 and there's been only one sale above that...at $178.

These weren't a deal. At all. You didn't miss anything. It's modern with 50+ copies in blue 9.8 on the census. A few high sales and some hype and there will be 100 in a couple months.

You'll be able to wallpaper your boat house with 'em they'll be so cheap.

With the Winter Soldier likely becoming the next Captain America and starring in Marvel movies for the next decade this could easily prove to be false.

lol

Ok. There are about 6 comic movies coming this summer. Exactly how long do you estimate the attention span of the collectors to be on this one?

Evans is locked in for Cap 3. That's 2016.

How far into the future will be have to go to make Cap 6's value escalate beyond today's hype because Winter Soldier might be the next Cap sometime in 2020+?

It's a modern. Don't bet long on moderns. Bet even shorter on movie tie-in moderns.

The print run on both Cap #6 covers combined is only about 46,000 according to Comichron.

Which means there are likely (conservatively) 4-5,000 9.8 copies out there.

That's 1,000 times what's in the census in 9.8 right now.

The print run on both Cap #6 covers combined is only about 46,000 according to Comichron.

Which means there are likely (conservatively) 4-5,000 9.8 copies out there.

That's 1,000 times what's in the census in 9.8 right now.

2mc6hx3.jpg

I have no doubt there are plenty of copies out there and I could save $ buying it later (or had I been smart and bought one before the hype).

The more important issue is how the seller handled his thread and potential customer.

Regardless it's over. I'll buy another copy sole other day.

I have no doubt there are plenty of copies out there and I could save $ buying it later (or had I been smart and bought one before the hype).

The more important issue is how the seller handled his thread and potential customer.

I was mostly mentioning that so you don't beat yourself up over it. Lots of fish in this particular sea and all that.

The way it was handled with language like "It's barely available" and "I have a confirmed deal that is pending" are right up there with "jumbo shrimp" as some of the more confusing and contradictory comments you're ever gonna see.

Ok. There are about 6 comic movies coming this summer. Exactly how long do you estimate the attention span of the collectors to be on this one?

How far into the future will be have to go to make Cap 6's value escalate beyond today's hype because Winter Soldier might be the next Cap sometime in 2020+?

It's a modern. Don't bet long on moderns. Bet even shorter on movie tie-in moderns.

Sure there will be periods where this book sees a decline in price, but long term its a good bet that it goes up. The Winter Soldier character isn't a one-and-done appearance in the Marvel movie universe, the actor is under contract for 9 films. There is no race here to buy it, slab it, and sell it because of collector's moving on to the next big thing. The character is going to stay relevant for awhile. Obviously it depends on to what extent he is used and developed, but the potential is there. What other modern Marvel book has the same potential as this one when looking at books sought after because of movie interest/speculation?

Sure there will be periods where this book sees a decline in price, but long term its a good bet that it goes up. The Winter Soldier character isn't a one-and-done appearance in the Marvel movie universe, the actor is under contract for 9 films. There is no race here to buy it, slab it, and sell it because of collector's moving on to the next big thing. The character is going to stay relevant for awhile. Obviously it depends on to what extent he is used and developed, but the potential is there. What other modern Marvel book has the same potential as this one when looking at books sought after because of movie interest/speculation?

How many do you have at cgc being graded right now :baiting:

My point was that, right now, this is the absolute worst time to buy and best time to sell.

The sizzle sells better than the steak. When the movie's gone and we're on to Spidey, or X-men, etc. The price will become far more reasonable.

Also that this wasn't a "Deal", the asking price matched the most a copy ever sold for on GPA, so there's time and (coming soon) a large influx of CGC copies.

If someone's looking long term they've got time to buy during an ebb and not during high tide.

You are 100% right and the seller did me a favor not selling it to me. :)

I'm glad to see others agree his selling tactics and communications were in poor form.

You are 100% right and the seller did me a favor not selling it to me. :)

I'm glad to see others agree his selling tactics and communications were in poor form.

You actually did a very smart thing here. Not only did it "rub you the wrong way", it also left us cautious about him. Good job! (thumbs u

It's true and it's a hot modern right now. Waiting would be the smart thing to do. :)

It's more on the basis that he ran a horrible sales thread and his attitude stinks.

But I'll let it go. Thanks everyone

Not only do you make several good points in everything you've said (over several posts) but you've been a true Gentlemen about the whole thing (thumbs u

Yea that was a weird TWD sale..And to the Winter Soldier guy, go look in 1.00 bins, I am sure there are some in em still..Its like people betting that Rocket Raccoon will just be on fire...Well the last Thor shows that movies don't make comics, I have a Thor 344, and it really never jumped up..Thanks guys for finding these threads and sellers out..They give those of us trying to make a small living at it a bad rap.If I had a Winter Soldier issue I would send it to you for free..But I didn't jump on that band wagon.

wow ! 4 pages on this. Read the post right above yours in the thread .... That's when the 3 rd copy sold. The response from the seller of " one left ",was to him . He already claimed that book. The seller worked his prices way down and sent tracking out right away. His attitude might leave a little to be desired but it was not horrible. He needs a little work on his methods but appears to be a legit sale. This book will dip and rise a couple times but in general it's going to go over 200 bucks on the next surge. This character is very interesting. As for wallpapering your walls......good luck on that one. This Book won't go much under 100.00 and at that price it will sell like crazy.

HERE IS THE HYPE ! LOOK OUT GPA!

$261.00 with time left now that's HIGH !

Edited by paul747

He should have updated his thread.

:news: ALL BOOKS ON HOLD :news:

He made it safe for himself by not updating his thread to still be soliciting potential buyers even though the books hadn't been sold.

Were these still available on Monday night?

Barely, I got a PM to confirm a deal was pending. The deal is done pending payment.

That way, if he didn't receive payment, he'd have other buyers lined up. But that's not fair to the other buyers that think they have a book only to find out later on - doh! they don't.

And his "I'll think twice before selling here again." meh:hi:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7593743&gonew=1#UNREAD

Suspicious thread.. Seller and buyer created within 2 days of each other and seller set up a feedback thread right away.. I don't know, it might all be legit, but my spider-sense is tingling..

I'm betting coolemc84 leaves terrific feedback about what a great seller The Creator is. ;)

He should have updated his thread.

:news: ALL BOOKS ON HOLD :news:

He made it safe for himself by not updating his thread to still be soliciting potential buyers even though the books hadn't been sold.

Were these still available on Monday night?

Barely, I got a PM to confirm a deal was pending. The deal is done pending payment.

That way, if he didn't receive payment, he'd have other buyers lined up. But that's not fair to the other buyers that think they have a book only to find out later on - doh! they don't.

And his "I'll think twice before selling here again." meh:hi:

"He made it safe for himself by not updating his thread to still be soliciting potential buyers even though the books hadn't had been sold."

think you meant that... (lining up more buyers even though the books had been sold (pending payment). I hadnt thought of that point, and yeah its a bit of a "talking out of both sides of your mouth" move to have the thread (for a hot book) continue to look like they are available while you have more than enough interested buyers to sell the books multiple times over.

Also the "pending payment" thing is kind of silly. All threads books are sold and then payment is made, its not like the second someone puts up a :takeit: funds magicly transfer via paypal. So to have all books look like they are still available until funds are received is definitely not the way 99% of sales threads work here.

I had some PMs with the seller to talk about how sales threads are run, how they should be run if he wants to continue to go the "all transactions and claims occur via PM", and he seemed receptive.

Harvey I said the same thing, that if he's doing everything in PMs then he's on the hook to be quick to update threads with book availability status. And if he doesn't intend to honor any :takeit:s in threads then he should state that in his rules since thats the assumed typical practice (even when the OP says to PM with interest)