• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I am the seller. I just saw this thread. Normal rules means ill take in in the thread wins. I don't want PayPal on a huge transaction because I do other things (Ebay etc) I believe I have the right of refusal. The member lives in Canada and has been on the board a year. I asked about the address and he says he has a US address. To send a 10k book to an address where someone lives is kind of murky even if a relative or something.

He then wanted to do a 3rd party and at this point im seeing too many things going on. I decide to send my 10,000 book to an established boardie in the USA who've I've dealt with many times before and I trust.

This is not some 20, 100, or even 1,000 book. I did not accept the ill take it because of location and I placed it on HOLD until we can agree on TERMS. I did not like the terms.

BEFORE ANYONE JUDGES WHATS GOING ON PLEASE ASK YOURSELF WHAT YOU WOULD DO WITH YOUR 5 FIGURE BOOK.

Since you weren't excepting PayPal, wouldn't you be requiring either a check or money order? And wouldn't you HAVE that check or money order in hand before shipping out the book? (shrug)

Plus quadman said he would send a check. So PayPal shouldn't be a problem.

I am the seller. I just saw this thread. Normal rules means ill take in in the thread wins. I don't want PayPal on a huge transaction because I do other things (Ebay etc) I believe I have the right of refusal. The member lives in Canada and has been on the board a year. I asked about the address and he says he has a US address. To send a 10k book to an address where someone lives is kind of murky even if a relative or something.

He then wanted to do a 3rd party and at this point im seeing too many things going on. I decide to send my 10,000 book to an established boardie in the USA who've I've dealt with many times before and I trust.

This is not some 20, 100, or even 1,000 book. I did not accept the ill take it because of location and I placed it on HOLD until we can agree on TERMS. I did not like the terms.

BEFORE ANYONE JUDGES WHATS GOING ON PLEASE ASK YOURSELF WHAT YOU WOULD DO WITH YOUR 5 FIGURE BOOK.

I sold quadman 30K worth of books, a few days after he arrived. You couldn't ask for a better buyer to deal with.

I have sold books to Quad as well and no problem at all with him, but maybe the seller doesn't know him the way we do.

I believe I have the right of refusal.

I'm just on the sidelines here and ran across the thread when I saw a lot of interests here.

My 2c

A seller does have the right to refuse a sale if they don't feel comfortable with the conditions of the sale (conditions can change the dynamics of the deal).

I agree with the seller that I personally would not feel comfortable sending a five figure book to a third party.

2c

I think the main thing here is that the seller put the book on hold AFTER he knew the potential buyer was from Canada. If the seller isn't comfortable with that, why put the book on hold at all? A simple, "Sorry, but I only ship to the U.S." would have ended all discussions.

Im not sure what to say here other than I will not be shipping any book to Quadman78. We can argue the semantics of "HOLD" but I am not letting a book go in a transaction that I don't feel comfortable with. I would require a check or MO but that does not negate any risk on my part. Apparently going forward I will have to put a wall of legalese in my posts.

Didn't the seller put the book on hold because it was not, at that point, sold? The seller pretty clearly states that he will ship to the US only in his first post and nothing about that PM conversation suggests a done deal.

It did not show up in the posted p.m. exchange...but according to quadman...the first p.m. sent was the :takeit: sign.

After that...they were just ironing out the details and quadman simply asked if the seller was willing to used a mutually known third party as a middleman. quadman never said he would not take the book if one wasn't used...he was simply asking if it was ok to use one.

I'm just not really seeing much fault with the seller here. We are all supposing a lot about his intentions when taking Rick's unconditional takeit but it's entirely up to the seller to accept or reject extraneous after-the-fact conditions when he states his requirements in the very first post.

There were no after-the-fact "conditions" stated. The buyer simply asked a question.

"I was thinking with such a large purchase maybe we can use reputable board member as a middle man? Maybe Filter or GAtor?"

The seller did not want to use a third party and that was ok with the buyer...as was noted in his next p.m reply to the seller.

"I'll send a cheque straight up then "

I guess. It seems like the tenor of this whole conversation is leading towards demonizing the seller for choosing the deal he was most comfortable with. The "on hold" is a monkeywrench but the deal was never finalized.

Since you weren't excepting PayPal, wouldn't you be requiring either a check or money order? And wouldn't you HAVE that check or money order in hand before shipping out the book? (shrug)

Exactly. For Randy the 3rd party option was in an important sense reducing his risk, and for the sake of concluding the transaction he even waived that idea, which was never therefore a condition, and offered to send direct payment.

Randy had proposed Rick as a possible 3rd party mediator. Frankly, if the seller could have confidence in Rick as a customer he could have trusted him as a facilitator of the deal with Randy, no?

Here is what I don't understand. There was no conditions. There was no mention of shipping to Canada. You got Canada by looking at his location. If he said "Parts Unknown" in his location the deal would have been closed and thats that. There should have been no on hold or anything, just a sale.

Exactly. For Randy the 3rd party option was in an important sense reducing his risk, and for the sake of concluding the transaction he even waived that idea, which was never therefore a condition, and offered to send direct payment.

Randy had proposed Rick as a possible 3rd party mediator. Frankly, if the seller could have confidence in Rick as a customer he could have trusted him as a facilitator of the deal with Randy, no?

+1

Im not sure what to say here other than I will not be shipping any book to Quadman78. We can argue the semantics of "HOLD" but I am not letting a book go in a transaction that I don't feel comfortable with. I would require a check or MO but that does not negate any risk on my part. Apparently going forward I will have to put a wall of legalese in my posts.

It's not semantics. "On Hold" means something.

Going forward, you don't need a wall of legal ease, you simply should not create a responsibility for yourself that you aren't prepared to fulfill.

I agree with the seller that I personally would not feel comfortable sending a five figure book to a third party.

One of the potential third parties that quadman mentioned using to the seller was GAtor.

"I was thinking with such a large purchase maybe we can use reputable board member as a middle man? Maybe Filter or GAtor?"

The seller ended up selling the book to GAtor and said, "I decide to send my 10,000 book to an established boardie in the USA who've I've dealt with many times before and I trust. "

If he's not comfortable sending the book to GAtor as a third party...then why would he be comforatable sending the book to GAtor as a buyer?

Didn't the seller put the book on hold because it was not, at that point, sold? The seller pretty clearly states that he will ship to the US only in his first post and nothing about that PM conversation suggests a done deal.

It did not show up in the posted p.m. exchange...but according to quadman...the first p.m. sent was the :takeit: sign.

After that...they were just ironing out the details and quadman simply asked if the seller was willing to used a mutually known third party as a middleman. quadman never said he would not take the book if one wasn't used...he was simply asking if it was ok to use one.

I'm just not really seeing much fault with the seller here. We are all supposing a lot about his intentions when taking Rick's unconditional takeit but it's entirely up to the seller to accept or reject extraneous after-the-fact conditions when he states his requirements in the very first post.

There were no after-the-fact "conditions" stated. The buyer simply asked a question.

The seller did not want to use a third party and that was ok with the buyer...as was noted in his next p.m reply to the seller.

I guess. It seems like the tenor of this whole conversation is leading towards demonizing the seller for choosing the deal he was most comfortable with. The "on hold" is a monkeywrench but the deal was never finalized.

It wasn't finalized because the seller chose, voluntarily, to ignore the "On Hold" that he offered and created himself, again voluntarily.

It's a monkeywrench because it created a duty. Once created, it gave Quadman an expectation that it would be respected and honored. It wasn't. That would be a problem in any business setting.

The book was on HOLD not SOLD. I placed it on HOLD to figure out if I wanted to sell it to a buyer out of the country and see what his ideas were. He wanted a third party and this was looking like more trouble than it was worth. As far as not knowing who he is no I don't. I mostly lurk as my post count will attest. I am not KAV and I am not going completing any 10,000 dollar transactions unless I feel comfortable with the buyer, terms, payment, shipping etc.

This was on HOLD to see what the potential buyer had to say. What he said was I live in another country, I would like a third party.

Absolutely no doubt you are free to do what you want with your book, but can you not appreciate the enormous risk you were also asking Randy to make by asking for 10k with no buyer protection? Its not about legalese, you also have to sometimes look at things from the buyer's standpoint too.

The 3rd party option was actually the most logical of solutions and would have balanced the risks equally between you, and indeed eliminated many. 2c

I was willing to work with you in any way necessary. And honestly had you just communicated your concerns to me rather than slamming the door shut with very little explanation I would not have had nearly as much of a problem with this whole ordeal.

You will be on my permanent do not deal with list.

As a side note, I'd like to point out that Rick has made me a very generous offer(not involving this book of course) which he did not have to do. Class act as always.

The book was on HOLD not SOLD. I placed it on HOLD to figure out if I wanted to sell it to a buyer out of the country and see what his ideas were. He wanted a third party and this was looking like more trouble than it was worth. As far as not knowing who he is no I don't. I mostly lurk as my post count will attest. I am not KAV and I am not going completing any 10,000 dollar transactions unless I feel comfortable with the buyer, terms, payment, shipping etc.

This was on HOLD to see what the potential buyer had to say. What he said was I live in another country, I would like a third party.

So shipping it to Rick as a 3rd party is a red flag but shipping it to Rick as a buyer isn't?

Looking at the terms, it doesn't look like you took the book off of hold because you didn't like his terms. The :takeit: in the thread came 2 minutes after you posted the HOLD and it came before you PM'd him of your "discomfort".

You were getting paid by check, with an offer to ship to the same person that you agreed to sell it to anyway. You were going to have cleared funds in your account before you ever shipped and the book in the hands of a guy you were comfortable enough to sell to directly. I am seeing that one transaction was easier for you, but I am not seeing the red flags, at all.

It wasn't finalized because the seller chose, voluntarily, to ignore the "On Hold" that he offered and created himself, again voluntarily.

It's a monkeywrench because it created a duty. Once created, it gave Quadman an expectation that it would be respected and honored. It wasn't. That would be a problem in any business setting.

Do you think the seller should now be obligated to sell to quadman? And if he refuses, should the seller be placed on the probation list?

I notified the other party I will be keeping the Action 23 with me. The other party (Not Quadman) agrees that would be best under the circumstances. I apologize to the board for any procedural errors, misconceptions or ill will towards any party involved.