• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Yeah I really got burned with that raffle disguised as a mystery box.. In the past almost every mystery box sale I took part in was worth the admission price or more, even if I didn't get what I hoped for.

Yeah I really got burned with that raffle disguised as a mystery box.. In the past almost every mystery box sale I took part in was worth the admission price or more, even if I didn't get what I hoped for.

Did anyone every actually say they got the ASM 700 SS Lee?

I would prefer not to see these kinds of sales threads on the boards. This place really is getting to be like ebay more and more very day.

:golfclap:

Did anyone every actually say they got the ASM 700 SS Lee?

@Captain_Sawyer did, he posted a pic in our shared pm. I did the math though, and it looked like the raffle master came out with a profit, according to what was in all the boxes.. For me it was definitely worth less than what I paid.

Looking at the photos provided in that sales thread it was fairly obvious the seller was going to make out like a bandit and that the only buyer who'd come out on top would be the guy who got the ASM #700 ...

So basically, if the boxes were $100 with roughly $100 worth of stuff in them and the only exception was that ASM #700, then the thread could have been okay?

Looking at the photos provided in that sales thread it was fairly obvious the seller was going to make out like a bandit and that the only buyer who'd come out on top would be the guy who got the ASM #700 ...

Not necessarily. The slabs were not pictured, and I don't think most people were expecting to get 9.6 X-forces. (Yes, that is what I know one guy got).

If the seller make it $100 worth of stuff for each box then what's the point of include the grand price in it if he can sell it individually? And if that's the case then the seller come out as a lost on the grand price. People gamble and they lost, that's your choice. At least someone won the big price.

Shadrocks are really awesome. Granted they really aren't mystery boxes since you have an idea of what your getting but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. If done correctly mystery boxes are fun for the buyer and the seller. The problem is they've gotten out of hand.

I'm Ok with a mystery box sale, but not a boxes sale.

Ex -Shadroch will sell a mystery box once in a while and state he will include art or something of the sort in it. He doesn't sell multiple boxes and post pics of what might be in them.

Shadrocks are really awesome. Granted they really aren't mystery boxes since you have an idea of what your getting but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. If done correctly mystery boxes are fun for the buyer and the seller. The problem is they've gotten out of hand.

14 second before me!

That's going to be very hard to control. By the time people figure out it's being done wrong, it may be too late.

If the seller make it $100 worth of stuff for each box then what's the point of include the grand price in it if he can sell it individually? And if that's the case then the seller come out as a lost on the grand price. People gamble and they lost, that's your choice. At least someone won the big price.

the point is a lot of the stuff included WOULDNT sell individually, so a raffle is a way to unload unwanted stuff by giving out chances at a good box (the "winner") thus it's a raffle.

There are governing rules for real raffles, and CGC (who hosts these boards and this marketplace) doesnt want to deal with the redtape/scrutiny of hosting a site that supports raffles.

The point of a mystery box thread is that a seller guarentees all of his stuff goes, and he also doesnt have to list everything individually, thus less overhead to get stuff sold, the cost of this benefit is the mystery boxes are sold at a lower price point/return to interest all buyers in giving up the option of choosing books for the return of getting "more for their money"

Maybe you have 100 trades worth $10 each, and if you listed them all you would sell 50 of them for a total of $500. Lots of work, taking photos, listing 100 books, managing each sale, tracking, creating invoices, etc...

Or you could have 10 mystery boxes that you sell for $60 each, guarenteeing that each box would be worth $100. You sell all 10 and make $600. You made more money, went thru all of your inventory and did it with very little effort (some group pictures, simple invoicing and making sure each box had enough books in it to equal the right value).

Now in the first instance you maximized profit (which is a fine goal, and when thats your goal you do the 1st approach), but in the second instance you unloaded inventory, kept your efforts low and cleared space (also fine goals, and the way to make approach 2 work for everyone).

The third way is the raffle. You have 100 trades worth $10 each and a $500 book that you werent able to sell for market price.

You do 10 mystery boxes at $200 each, you make $2000 on $1500 of inventory. You have 9 people win $110 in trades and one "winner" win the $500 book. 1 guy comes out +$300 the other 9 come out down $90... but in any case the seller comes out ahead. Thats a raffle and that's what's not allowed.

the point is a lot of the stuff included WOULDNT sell individually, so a raffle is a way to unload unwanted stuff by giving out chances at a good box (the "winner") thus it's a raffle.

There are governing rules for real raffles, and CGC (who hosts these boards and this marketplace) doesnt want to deal with the redtape/scrutiny of hosting a site that supports raffles.

The point of a mystery box thread is that a seller guarentees all of his stuff goes, and he also doesnt have to list everything individually, thus less overhead to get stuff sold, the cost of this benefit is the mystery boxes are sold at a lower price point/return to interest all buyers in giving up the option of choosing books for the return of getting "more for their money"

Maybe you have 100 trades worth $10 each, and if you listed them all you would sell 50 of them for a total of $500. Lots of work, taking photos, listing 100 books, managing each sale, tracking, creating invoices, etc...

Or you could have 10 mystery boxes that you sell for $60 each, guarenteeing that each box would be worth $100. You sell all 10 and make $600. You made more money, went thru all of your inventory and did it with very little effort (some group pictures, simple invoicing and making sure each box had enough books in it to equal the right value).

Now in the first instance you maximized profit (which is a fine goal, and when thats your goal you do the 1st approach), but in the second instance you unloaded inventory, kept your efforts low and cleared space (also fine goals, and the way to make approach 2 work for everyone).

The third way is the raffle. You have 100 trades worth $10 each and a $500 book that you werent able to sell for market price.

You do 10 mystery boxes at $200 each, you make $2000 on $1500 of inventory. You have 9 people win $110 in trades and one "winner" win the $500 book. 1 guy comes out +$300 the other 9 come out down $90... but in any case the seller comes out ahead. Thats a raffle and that's what's not allowed.

Thank you for taking the time thoroughly explaining the rules and scenarios, very informative. Didn’t know that it is forum rule, not allowing raffles type sale. Always something new to learn from this forum.

Great explanation :thumbsup:

If he disputed your grades when he got the books, maybe, but after he sent them to cgc?

No dice.

+1

Except if you sold them claiming no restoration. Either he does not like the transaction and you can offer a full refund (which you did) or he is satisfied and keeps all the books. You've given him a choice which is more than fair.

Yeah in a "group deal" you need to take into consideration total value.

You get "group deals" just in case one book has restro and you are still ahead if the others turn out OK.

Unless he paid asking price for each one, then in that case each comic should stand in it's own merit.

Great explanation :thumbsup:

+1