• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

If the seller make it $100 worth of stuff for each box then what's the point of include the grand price in it if he can sell it individually? And if that's the case then the seller come out as a lost on the grand price. People gamble and they lost, that's your choice. At least someone won the big price.

the point is a lot of the stuff included WOULDNT sell individually, so a raffle is a way to unload unwanted stuff by giving out chances at a good box (the "winner") thus it's a raffle.

There are governing rules for real raffles, and CGC (who hosts these boards and this marketplace) doesnt want to deal with the redtape/scrutiny of hosting a site that supports raffles.

The point of a mystery box thread is that a seller guarentees all of his stuff goes, and he also doesnt have to list everything individually, thus less overhead to get stuff sold, the cost of this benefit is the mystery boxes are sold at a lower price point/return to interest all buyers in giving up the option of choosing books for the return of getting "more for their money"

Maybe you have 100 trades worth $10 each, and if you listed them all you would sell 50 of them for a total of $500. Lots of work, taking photos, listing 100 books, managing each sale, tracking, creating invoices, etc...

Or you could have 10 mystery boxes that you sell for $60 each, guarenteeing that each box would be worth $100. You sell all 10 and make $600. You made more money, went thru all of your inventory and did it with very little effort (some group pictures, simple invoicing and making sure each box had enough books in it to equal the right value).

Now in the first instance you maximized profit (which is a fine goal, and when thats your goal you do the 1st approach), but in the second instance you unloaded inventory, kept your efforts low and cleared space (also fine goals, and the way to make approach 2 work for everyone).

The third way is the raffle. You have 100 trades worth $10 each and a $500 book that you werent able to sell for market price.

You do 10 mystery boxes at $200 each, you make $2000 on $1500 of inventory. You have 9 people win $110 in trades and one "winner" win the $500 book. 1 guy comes out +$300 the other 9 come out down $90... but in any case the seller comes out ahead. Thats a raffle and that's what's not allowed.

Great explanation :thumbsup:

+1

This is why raffles aren't allowed.

but certainly, absent some seller guarantees of value (which is still subjective), there is SOME amount of 'buyer beware' when getting involved in a raffle. You know its at least somewhat of gamble.

*I have no idea if there were box value guarantees pertaining to this sale, haven't seen the thread.

So I have a nice first teen titans that I'd love to trade for a hero for hire #1. Is that a wtb thread or a g/s/b thread?

Some have also listed in their WTB what they are searching for, and what they are willing to trade. But you'll want to make it clear what condition is acceptable to qualify for your 1st Teen Titans, and maybe mention at certain conditions where it would be cash and trade.

Was suggested I should post this here so here it is.

I'd like to run a scenario by you guys regarding a buying forum encounter I had.

A book was listed that I wanted but did not want to post a in the thread so I PM'd the seller with a :takeit: The seller responded with a message saying he would put the book on hold as we figured out the details which I agreed to because he does not accept PayPal and it was a very large purchase. He then put the book on hold in the thread.

His next message asked if I have a US shipping address as he does not ship to Canada and I replied yes.

He asked what is the best way to do this to which I replied that since it was such a large purchase maybe we could use a reputable board member as a third party.

His next message to me was

"With all due respect I would like to sell to a more established member that has less risk on my part. Thanks for your interest anyway"

I replied right away saying I would send a cheque straight to him.

The next message was it's been sold to a member with no conditions. Sorry.

So my question is do I have a legit complaint on the transaction or am I just S.O.L.?

Also, just want to mention that I have been in contact with the other buyer and he has been extremely upstanding about this. My complaint is in no way with him.

Edited by quadman78

Are we sure he isn't the buyer? It doesn't seem clear to me from the thread. hm

He isn't the one that the book was on hold for.

Coincidence?

Oops, the OP just arrived. Only click the link if you want Kav's opinion.

Edited by Hado

Coincidence?

I feel cheated, I got Jimmy's opinion instead of Kav's when i clicked the link

The real question is whos opinion would you rather have between Jimmy or Kav?

Seriously though, I knew as soon as I saw that sales thread there would be trouble when it was on hold and then take it in the thread. He was not specific enough in the sales description. He did say it was on hold 2 minutes before the take it though :( Thats a hard one.

Coincidence?

I feel cheated, I got Jimmy's opinion instead of Kav's when i clicked the link

He's started deleting posts tonight for some reason :facepalm:

I would think that the book is Randy's.

Action 23 on hold [for Randy]

If he held it for you and you offered to pay whichever way he wanted, I would say the book is yours and if he doesn't honor the transaction, discuss HERE next.

But honestly, who knows. I hate rules like this

Normal rules apply

USA Shipping only

No Paypal on these

We can discuss payment/shipping/pickup options

I have done a few large deals here 5k-20k if you would like boardies names lmk and ill ask them to vouch for me.

What does that even mean? :makepoint: Everyone has their own set of rules... does this mean?

1) First :takeit: in the thread trumps all PM negotiations

or

2) First timestamped :takeit: wins

or

3) Who knows.

I would think the book is Randy's, but I'm curious what others think. :popcorn:

Quadman, what exactly did you PM him? Because if you just posted a :takeit: there shouldn't have needed to be any dickering on his part and the book should have been claimed by you.

My first post to him was

Subject line Action #23

:takeit:

His response

Ill put a hold on it until we can agree on shipping/payment terms

My response

Perfect!

Edit: I would post the whole pm thread but I have no idea how.

Edited by quadman78