• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I didn't want to make a post in this thread about overgrading until I watched for patterns in sales threads over the last 6 months so my observations weren't unfounded.

I'm not going to use specific examples so I don't break some forum code but it's even evident over this weekend's threads.

This is a community, so I'm wondering if it's too taboo to make a thread about one's "opinion" of overgrading?

Not to insult the seller but to protect the community with a certain standard.

I have to be honest, a lot of the stuff I see for sale is so far off that I'm comparing this place to eBay.

What's the best approach to this problem? Do people send private messages to these sellers?

I'd love to hear other's thoughts.

I didn't want to make a post in this thread about overgrading until I watched for patterns in sales threads over the last 6 months so my observations weren't unfounded.

I'm not going to use specific examples so I don't break some forum code but it's even evident over this weekend's threads.

This is a community, so I'm wondering if it's too taboo to make a thread about one's "opinion" of overgrading?

Not to insult the seller but to protect the community with a certain standard.

I have to be honest, a lot of the stuff I see for sale is so far off that I'm comparing this place to eBay.

What's the best approach to this problem? Do people send private messages to these sellers?

I'd love to hear other's thoughts.

Everyone grades a little differently. And some defects detract from the grade more or less depending on the grader.

I would say, if you don't like what you see then move along. If it is a book you want and you disagree with the grade, then PM the seller.

But I don't think this is a huge problem. Make your own choices.

I know for me, when I am selling a book I see no defects "O that giant rip, um naw it's a half point loss no big deal" and when I am buying I see every possible defect "hmm it looks like there is a tiny dot spot on the back cover, Its at best a F-." My advice would be to PM a gentle question to the seller and say, hey are you sure its a "blank" cause I am seeing "Issue" "issue" "issue" Thanks for your thoughts".

Then again, I just saw a couple books listed as FN/FN+ that appear anything but.

That sales thread is what made me write my initial post about over grading.

I'm seasoned enough to recognize the realistic grade of a book posted

with scans and make a judgement for myself.

I'm also aware that scans will magnify flaws to make a book look worse then it is in person.

I do just walk away and make note of these sellers but I'm shocked when I see this stuff selling on the boards.

I wonder how many times it comes back to bite the seller in private messages

Same feelings here. Got my hopes up when I read the thread. Hopes were dashed immediately. I agree with ff's advice. Move along, nothing to see here.

I agree this is the best policy. That said, there is no harm in making an offer on an overgraded book that corresponds to what you believe is the real grade/value of the book. The only danger is that the seller will treat it as a lowball and say no, but that is less grief than fighting over grades.

And if the seller does call you a lowballer you can just say:

"Lowball offer!!? Buddy, if you weren't asking 3 times market value for your highball graded piece of mess my offer would look as generous as it is!" lol

Same feelings here. Got my hopes up when I read the thread. Hopes were dashed immediately. I agree with ff's advice. Move along, nothing to see here.

I agree this is the best policy. That said, there is no harm in making an offer on an overgraded book that corresponds to what you believe is the real grade/value of the book. The only danger is that the seller will treat it as a lowball and say no, but that is less grief than fighting over grades.

And if the seller does call you a lowballer you can just say:

"Lowball offer!!? Buddy, if you weren't asking 3 times market value for your highball graded piece of mess my offer would look as generous as it is!" lol

There are nice, big scans, so no one is getting a surprise. Best policy is just move along.....