• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Normal rules means ill take in in the thread wins.

There is no such thing as "normal rules", because there are no standard selling rules in place on this board from the moderators (outside of things like no Paypal Personal for merchandise.)

If you have specific rules, they need to be stated, upfront, every time....especially on a "5 FIGURE BOOK."

This I agree with. I have never subscribed to the notion that posting :takeit: trumps all other bids especially when I'm selling a big dollar book. Sometimes PM discussions are taking place for multiple books, payment terms etc and if as a seller I'm waiting for the other party to confirm the arrangement then I think its only right to try and see that out unless it was made clear from the get go that :takeit: is the final word. Also, if I'm having a PM discussion with a trusted buyer that I have dealt with for years and have a comfort level with I might want continue down that path even if it means taking a bit less from someone who I don't have any history with.

At the end of the day I want the flexibility to protect my interests but would try to be fair to everyone. I have honored PM offers which have fetched less money simply because my PM confirming that the deal was good wasn't read by the buyer yet.

Not necessarily Ryan. GPA only pulls data from eBay and some auction houses. It doesn't pull all sales. So theoretically if it is a low sold book (i.e. only has two or three sales on GPA in the last 2 years) but has had lots of sales in the unreported places for more than GPA then yea it is not accurate. I'd say more often then not GPA is accurate but I have definitely seen inaccuracies. For instance my Batman 59 isn't in GPA.

Not necessarily Ryan. GPA only pulls data from eBay and some auction houses. It doesn't pull all sales. So theoretically if it is a low sold book (i.e. only has two or three sales on GPA in the last 2 years) but has had lots of sales in the unreported places for more than GPA then yea it is not accurate. I'd say more often then not GPA is accurate but I have definitely seen inaccuracies. For instance my Batman 59 isn't in GPA.

it's accurate in that it is a collection of data and averages of a subset of market data.

Saying it's inaccurate would imply that the data it presents is wrong, which it isnt unless theres a problem with the database or the queries or the source data.

a more accurate way to describe GPA (if you feel so) is that it is an INCOMPLETE assessment of the market value of a book.

Plus it would be pretty odd if all of the sales on non-gpa reporting venues were for higher $$$ than the gpa reporting venues.

People complain that gpa is incomplete, but I think they'd be shocked to see prices drop on lots of books if gpa started including all of the convention sales in their data, where dealers are often happy to sell for under market so that they can pay for the cost of the con, or have more cash in hand for buying collections that show up.

I also enjoy a seller mentioning that a book is on the rise when you look back at previous sales and see that their original purchase of the book was the high water mark.

GPA is very flawed and easily manipulated.

For instance, any book that is sold through an eBay store and the

seller/store owner puts a discount on the book and you buy it, GPA records it at the seller's original asking price which is false.

seller/store owner puts a discount on the book and you buy it, GPA records it at the seller's original asking price which is false.

one should take all the price guides and services with a grain of salt, none of them are perfect, and are subject to manipulations and innaccuracies as stated above. But we need somewhere to start from in terms of how we decide what to buy and sell stuff at.

No. GPA gets their eBay data through the eBay API which provides the actual purchase price (including the correct price for accepted best offers) - it's a different set of data compared to what you can see when you're just browsing completed auctions.