• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Well, there is a certain prominent seller where ... let's just say that a raw high-grade book is a dead certainty to come back from CGC well below the stated grade.

I have no idea who you're talking about but that's why I qualified it with trusting your own eyes or the seller.

I won't buy if I'm not confident about the grade.

Let each dealer search his own heart!

And it's definitely not you. Your grading is accurate to within 3 mm.

Not always...Roy's been known to undergrade books I've bought from him :)

Well, there is a certain prominent seller where ... let's just say that a raw high-grade book is a dead certainty to come back from CGC well below the stated grade.

I have no idea who you're talking about but that's why I qualified it with trusting your own eyes or the seller.

I won't buy if I'm not confident about the grade.

Let each dealer search his own heart!

And it's definitely not you. Your grading is accurate to within 3 mm.

Not always...Roy's been known to undergrade books I've bought from him :)

That's an outrage. If there's one thing I won't put up with, it's getting more than my money's worth! :sumo:

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

(note: this is not some type of soft advertisement, I would really value the advice)

Plan A: My current plan is to have a huge alphabetized modern/copper sale at the end of September, like 700-800 books (hopefully not more) of all hot or key or 1st app books, etc, no drek. Probably listed over the course of a week.

Plan B: But I'm considering an alternate plan:

having 4 separate categorized sales ahead of that sale, with anything leftover going into that sale. Each category will have 50-100 books.

4 categories:

Spider-Man

Batman (and friends)

X-books (factor, force, men, other associated 1st apps)

Walking Dead

the smaller lots will be easier to track and manage, and customers who like specific stuff might appreciate not having to dig through 50 pages (although it'd be alphabetized). But at the same time, there will be less shipping economies on the smaller lots for customers, and I will probably be redoing some of the work for books that aren't sold the first time around. Additionally, losing some of the 'good' books the first time around might make it harder to sell 'other' books during the last round, although I'm pretty confident in the all around quality of all the books. It would also give me two opportunities to sell the categorized books.

SO if you could provide some feedback as a customer or seller or both, which would you prefer and why? All answers are appreciated, including snark.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Edited by Revat

My advice having run a huge sales thread like you're describing

Is to break it up

I think you hit a maximum number of buyers if the thread is too long, people like you said don't want to go through 50 pages etc

Is to break it up

I think you hit a maximum number of buyers if the thread is too long, people like you said don't want to go through 50 pages etc

+1

Personally I'd prefer to have an easier access to check out the Batman books rather than trying to keep up with what's taken by searching through the other pages of items.

Is to break it up

so this can be PLAN C

Maybe just three separate sales and that's it. Marvel, DC, Other with 400, 200, 150 books respectively? or still too big?

PLAN D

Phase 1: 4 categorized sales THEN 3 BRand sales with leftovers and other stuff.

Edited by Revat

The most disturbing thing I've learned in this thread is that Swick hasn't turned off the right hand column thing in his preferences. doh!

lol

Hey, I've found some nice things that popped up in that right hand column thing in sections I don't usually read (like Mixed Age).

The most disturbing thing I've learned in this thread is that Swick hasn't turned off the right hand column thing in his preferences. doh!

lol

Hey, I've found some nice things that popped up in that right hand column thing in sections I don't usually read (like Mixed Age).

Me too. ;)

A new thought, and perhaps it's been used, BUT-

has anyone tried to sell using the story board available on Photobucket ?

I usually have my own server working, but that died, and I've never really

tried using another image host. Some nifty things there if you have the

time to play with it. As an example, would this storyboard be a good

offering ?

Is to break it up

+1

Personally I'd prefer to have an easier access to check out the Batman books rather than trying to keep up with what's taken by searching through the other pages of items.

I disagree. You pick up buyers along the way. As long as you recap your thread and keep it up to date.

I just did a 600 book thread and for the most part it did fine.

Once you set the hook they will go back and look.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Is to break it up

+1

I disagree. You pick up buyers along the way. As long as you recap your thread and keep it up to date.

I just did a 600 book thread and for the most part it did fine.

Once you set the hook they will go back and look.

157036.jpg.798d192a0f2fe116fc787eb6b7db41e4.jpg

Oh hey, look, more transactions being offered via Paypal personal, which this board turns a collective blind eye to.

How lovely!

You use the service, you pay for the service. Anything else is mental pretzel-making to justify not paying an entity for the service they provide, which is stealing.

:cloud9:

Oh hey, look, more transactions being offered via Paypal personal, which this board turns a collective blind eye to.

How lovely!

You use the service, you pay for the service. Anything else is mental pretzel-making to justify not paying an entity for the service they provide, which is stealing.

Let it go man.

How lovely!

Let it go man.

+1

How lovely!

Let it go man.

:screwy:

I will never "let it go" until it goes completely underground.

It is utter hypocrisy to maintain a "probation list" for people who rip off, cheat, steal, and otherwise do harm to others, while simultaneously completely turning a blind eye to stealing from Paypal because of whatever reason.

Do you tell people who have been ripped off to "let it go"...? What sort of madness is that, that standing up for the right thing needs to be "let go"?

So long as it keeps happening, I will keep bringing it up, until some way, some how, it stops being acceptable around here....or, the Probation List/HOS is done away with, too, and at least we stop with the open hypocrisy.

The real question is...why would you tell someone making a stand for right to "let it go"...?