• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

eriqio- Hi , that sounds reasonable! I'm currently out at the moment, but promise to provide a back cover scan when I get home. I can have the book sent out tomorrow if everything works out.

Thanks,

My reply

- Sounds good! we got a deal! (thumbs u.

:takeit: @ xxxx ,pending BC scan

----------

Seems like an accepted offer to me :facepalm:

Well, he agreed to whatever your terms were and locked himself in to provide that scan to you. It makes me lean towards he agreed to all of your terms and agreed to take on the responsibility to provide that scan of the back cover directly to you allowing you to make the decision to take or leave the book. He stopped short of saying "it's on hold for you", but his words an actions are a lot like a deal where one part accepts the other party's offer, contingencies included.

His performance is certainly lacking. He promised to take certain actions and then reneged.

At the very least what followed these PM's is extremely poor communication. His initial post lacks required details and he's fuzzy on several important items.

I don't think I'd force a deal with this guy. He probably did you a favor. Original asking was not a deal by any means (especially with that spine roll) and spending significant money with someone who's light on details and lax with promises is not a great idea.

Update your personal list and mark this one down as a bullet dodged.

IMHO, :takeit: > than :takeit: pending..... But I can see how this could be a point of argument. So I'll always state that unconditional :takeit: in the thread trumps all.

Sure thing....but there's no unconditional :takeit: in this case.

"there's other books out there, good luck"

lol

Sounds like a deal was made, regardless he sounds sketchy.

Thats what was said AFTER he sold to book to someone else , 10 hours into our agreement :facepalm:

Comix- that is exactly what will be done . I wanted to bring this to light to avoid dealing with this seller and let others be aware on how NOT to conduct a sale .

Shame :eyeroll:

Not sure if it was "accepted" by the buyer. Until buyer approved of back scans... it appears book was unsold hm

This brings us back to whether a "hold" was implied pending the scans, if not, than it is a continuous negotiation only and no obligation has been created.

That said, given the buyer's last reply posting the I'll take it pending scans, you would think if the seller disagreed he would have replied quickly to clarify, yes?

Agreed.

Absolutely. I totally sympatize with Gambit. If you have no intention to keep the book on hold, or to provide the scans in a timely manner, just say "I can surely get you scans, but I won’t put the book on hold, so that is at your own risk", and that’s OK.

This "there are other books out there" is so "insufficiently thoughtful", so to speak… :facepalm:

eriqio- Hi , that sounds reasonable! I'm currently out at the moment, but promise to provide a back cover scan when I get home. I can have the book sent out tomorrow if everything works out.

Thanks,

My reply

----------

Well, he agreed to whatever your terms were and locked himself in to provide that scan to you. It makes me lean towards he agreed to all of your terms and agreed to take on the responsibility to provide that scan of the back cover directly to you allowing you to make the decision to take or leave the book. He stopped short of saying "it's on hold for you", but his words an actions are a lot like a deal where one part accepts the other party's offer, contingencies included.

His performance is certainly lacking. He promised to take certain actions and then reneged.

At the very least what followed these PM's is extremely poor communication. His initial post lacks required details and he's fuzzy on several important items.

I don't think I'd force a deal with this guy. He probably did you a favor. Original asking was not a deal by any means (especially with that spine roll) and spending significant money with someone who's light on details and lax with promises is not a great idea.

Chris, this was the buyers take it:

:takeit: Pending back cover scan and no fee option!! ;)

Both buyers seem to be conditionally taking it. Has there even been a sale at this point?

Thanks,

My reply

----------

Both buyers seem to be conditionally taking it. Has there even been a sale at this point?

Probably not. I was going by Gambit's mention that the seller told him it was sold.

He certainly owed Gambit more than he gave him in terms of courtesy and performance given what he agreed to do. It's just bad form and lacking in respect or empathy.

Thanks,

My reply

----------

Probably not. I was going by Gambit's mention that the seller told him it was sold.

He certainly owed Gambit more than he gave him in terms of courtesy and performance given what he agreed to do. It's just bad form and lacking in respect or empathy.

If Gambit was the first person to communicate with the seller a simple "book on hold" in the thread would be courteous. Whether or not the seller got a better offer or not, I feel that the seller at least could honor the deal with Gambit first by providing a back scan. But not everyone handles their sales thread in a courteous manner.

No return statement listed and tricky wording of "fee free payment" threw me off from the start. As my co-worker is in the market for one of these books, I told him we will find you another one.

Edited by retrothecollector

Thanks,

My reply

----------

I spoke to the buyer short after I noticed his. "I take it" and he told me he already paid

whats very sketchy and annoyed me was after the new buyer posted "take it pending BC pics " (10 hours after I already agreed to terms with this seller ) the listing was closed, item paid for and "so sorry" reply sent to me , all within 10 min time, which to me looks like this was a deal worked on while he waited to send me promised pics. This is just wrong. 2c

Just my two cents:

If you tell a buyer that you will take the book pending back cover scans you really haven't committed to anything. Even if the back cover looks good you could still use it as an excuse to back out.

Just because the buyer told you that he will get you the scans you want does not mean that he promised to hold the book for you if someone else is willing to take the book unconditionally.

Also, if he gets two conditional offers and responds to the more recent one first I don't see how anyone got screwed on this one.

At this point now we that we have return policies in place what's the point of "I'll take it pending scan"? If its a hot book and you want it, do an unconditional "I'll take it". If you don't like it when you have it in hand then send it back.

Fortune favors the Bold!

That works in every case except this one, where the seller stated no return policy at all. lol

Just my two cents:

If you tell a buyer that you will take the book pending back cover scans you really haven't committed to anything. Even if the back cover looks good you could still use it as an excuse to back out.

Just because the buyer told you that he will get you the scans you want does not mean that he promised to hold the book for you if someone else is willing to take the book unconditionally.

Also, if he gets two conditional offers and responds to the more recent one first I don't see how anyone got screwed on this one.

Conditional offers happen all the time in the business world. Constantly. Seller's don't have to accept them and bind themselves to perform. But if a seller does agree to the terms and does bind themselves to perform they have to follow through.

No one here offered to take the book unconditionally. Does that hypothetical relate to what happened to Gambit ? (shrug)

There's a pretty big problem if a seller agrees to the buyer's offer and his conditions and promises to send a scan and doesn't do so and instead takes another offer with the same condition attached that came in after he already agreed to bind himself to the first buyer.

Just my two cents:

Conditional offers happen all the time in the business world. Constantly. Seller's don't have to accept them and bind themselves to perform. But if a seller does agree to the terms and does bind themselves to perform they have to follow through.

No one here offered to take the book unconditionally. Does that hypothetical relate to what happened to Gambit ? (shrug)

There's a pretty big problem if a seller agrees to the buyer's offer and his conditions and promises to send a scan and doesn't do so and instead takes another offer with the same condition attached that came in after he already agreed to bind himself to the first buyer.

^^:sumo:

With sympathies to Gambit, but this whole pending scans thing is really throwing off a clear sale. Sellers ought to put a FC and BC up immediately when selling a 1K book or above. Ugh.

It just opens up that whole bookmarking a book instead of outright buying it.

Dan

With sympathies to Gambit, but this whole pending scans thing is really throwing off a clear sale. Sellers ought to put a FC and BC up immediately when selling a 1K book or above. Ugh.

It just opens up that whole bookmarking a book instead of outright buying it.

Dan

Or ask for a back cover scan and then make a decision to take it.

The only purpose of taking it pending a scan is to try to take it off of the market while one decides if it is what they want. :sumo: