• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Thinking about getting my first sales thread going. Can anyone offer some advice as to how to craft a sales thread to make it known to certain boardies that they are not welcome to participate in it? It's three different boardies; I have had really one really bad experience with each, never done business with them again, and notice a pattern with each one on here that would sort of demonstrate to me that I don't want any future dealings with them.

They are, however, folks that do alot of buying and selling on here. People tend to state in their sales threads that they "reserve the right to not deal with anyone on their personal mess list," but is there another way short of PMing them before the thread gets going to say they are not welcome?

I am not trying to be a jerk, not trying to start drama, just trying to avoid a krapped up sales thread before it starts. Appreciate the advice.

I think the pm's are the most direct way to avoid public drama. Just be polite and professional.

"Hi, without going into details, you are on my personal list of people with which I prefer not to do business with. I respectfully request that you not purchase any books in my sales thread. Thank you very much for your time and consideration. If you wish to discuss this issue further, we can do so in this pm thread."

I think the pm's are the most direct way to avoid public drama. Just be polite and professional.

"Hi, without going into details, you are on my personal list of people with which I prefer not to do business with. I respectfully request that you not purchase any books in my sales thread. Thank you very much for your time and consideration. If you wish to discuss this issue further, we can do so in this pm thread."

^^

The answer you'll get from an honest person and a liar, if you ask them if they are dishonest, is the same answer.

Brilliant.

This has custom title all over it.

If you're saying the word brilliant belongs in my custom title then I agree.

The answer you'll get from an honest person and a liar, if you ask them if they are dishonest, is the same answer.

Brilliant.

This has custom title all over it.

If you're saying the word brilliant belongs in my custom title then I agree.

lol

So here is a fun one...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8940154#Post8940154

Is this thread crapping or calling out something that smells fishy?

Why is the seller referencing another book with a higher value when his is clearly listed on GPA for a lower value?

Welcome to yesterday. :hi:

So here is a fun one...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8940154#Post8940154

Why is the seller referencing another book with a higher value when his is clearly listed on GPA for a lower value?

I just feel that pointing out someones price point in the thread is inappropriate even if it's incorrect. Possibly in a PM to correct the seller? Unless the torches and pitchforks are out for the seller and he's not really welcome here even though he's been here since 2006. (shrug)

I've pointed out a price point in a sales thread before and was called out on it, never will I do that again. I have the utmost respect for mschimdt, but maybe he should lead by example? I'm just playing devil's advocate. Maybe I'm wrong?

edit: Don't wanna fill up the sellers thread with more post, but the seller did say this

"The last GPA on a book like this was $450 and that was only a Stan Lee sig and no sketch."

His wording is a little off, maybe he can fix it. But those words he used are key. "like this" "no sketch"

See May comes after April so the price went up for a .5 with sigs and sketches. So I don't feel the OP was wrong. It's called inflation. lol

Edited by retrothecollector

So here is a fun one...

That's the same book that everyone has been discussing here.

If someone wants to add GPA information to a listing they have to disclose fully.

Listing a book signed by Stan as a comparable for a book that's NOT signed by Stan when there's another recent comp of a this book, with this sig (in fact the identical book) doesn't seem right.

Obviously one was selected over the other because it carried a much higher price.

Either don't quote GPA or quote it fully.

That's not a thread . That's a legit question brought up by the Seller's claims.

So here is a fun one...

I just feel that pointing out someones price point in the thread is inappropriate even if it's incorrect. Possibly in a PM to correct the seller? Unless the torches and pitchforks are out for the seller and he's not really welcome here even though he's been here since 2006. (shrug)

I've pointed out a price point in a sales thread before and was called out on it, never will I do that again. I have the utmost respect for mschimdt, but maybe he should lead by example? I'm just playing devil's advocate. Maybe I'm wrong?

edit: Don't wanna fill up the sellers thread with more post, but the seller did say this

"The last GPA on a book like this was $450 and that was only a Stan Lee sig and no sketch."

His wording is a little off, maybe he can fix it. But those words he used are key. "like this" "no sketch"

See May comes after April so the price went up for a .5 with sigs and sketches. So I don't feel the OP was wrong. It's called inflation. lol

But I didn't comment on the seller's price at all :shrug:

I have zero problems with his asking price - I just felt it was slightly shady to use a GPA sale as the justification for a price when:

a) that GPA sale was for a completely different book

b) the exact book he was trying to sell had a GPA listing that was fairly recent

If you want to price a book higher than GPA, be honest about it (or don't mention GPA at all).

So here is a fun one...

You spelled "GPA Manipulation" wrong. lol

That's not "off" wording. That's THIS book that sold in April for $350.

He was the buyer. He knew what the EXACT sale price for this book was and decided that a book signed by Stan was a closer comparable.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8770823Post8770823

The sad reality is that, at the moment, Stan's sig still sells books no matter his affiliation. I bough a Hulk 181 signed and sketched by Herb Trimpe for $350 and a similar book with only Stan's sig sold shortly after for $450. It's crazy.

This isn't a problem with a price he's asking. He can ask any price he wants. Manipulating GPA data like this...when he knows full well what this book, in this grade, with this sketch, actually sold for...feels disingenuous.

And when a seller chooses to give a GPA analysis of why his price is set, I don't see a question regarding methodology as crapping, at all.

It's not like he simply asked a price and people jumped down his throat.