• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

So here is a fun one...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8940154#Post8940154

Is this thread crapping or calling out something that smells fishy?

Why is the seller referencing another book with a higher value when his is clearly listed on GPA for a lower value?

I just feel that pointing out someones price point in the thread is inappropriate even if it's incorrect. Possibly in a PM to correct the seller? Unless the torches and pitchforks are out for the seller and he's not really welcome here even though he's been here since 2006. (shrug)

I've pointed out a price point in a sales thread before and was called out on it, never will I do that again. I have the utmost respect for mschimdt, but maybe he should lead by example? I'm just playing devil's advocate. Maybe I'm wrong?

edit: Don't wanna fill up the sellers thread with more post, but the seller did say this

"The last GPA on a book like this was $450 and that was only a Stan Lee sig and no sketch."

His wording is a little off, maybe he can fix it. But those words he used are key. "like this" "no sketch"

See May comes after April so the price went up for a .5 with sigs and sketches. So I don't feel the OP was wrong. It's called inflation. lol

But I didn't comment on the seller's price at all :shrug:

I have zero problems with his asking price - I just felt it was slightly shady to use a GPA sale as the justification for a price when:

a) that GPA sale was for a completely different book

b) the exact book he was trying to sell had a GPA listing that was fairly recent

If you want to price a book higher than GPA, be honest about it (or don't mention GPA at all).

You asked a legit question. If the seller doesn't want to field a question about his GPA analysis then he shouldn't use it as a sales tactic.

Set your price, without the artifice, and you've got no problem.

I agree completely about the GPA thing, it is different. GPA is often quoted as an authority or as objective, authoritative data of its kind, and like the quoting of any authoritative source, you are obligated to do it in proper context.

If in a sales thread a seller quoted a well known media commentator as to how great an investment a book was etc, to encourage a sale, and the quote was found to be out of context, I think people would expect that to be corrected, or deleted.

The only question to me is the one of propriety- should notice be given in PM first to allow time for the OP to correct, or is it urgent enough to require public posting? That is I guess arguable. 2c

The only question to me is the one of propriety- should notice be given in PM first to allow time for the OP to correct, or is it urgent enough to require public posting? That is I guess arguable. 2c

That's what I was thinking too. I edited my post because I thought the "description" of the book was fair. He said "like this" book. Maybe he was comparing it to the other book because his book is the only one, kinda hard to compare a book when yours is the only one sold. I have GPA and looked and in May, a month later, a book with no sketch and 1 sig sold for $100 more. I think that's pretty comparable. He should correct his post and explain differently, I get it. But maybe he should've been known about his mistake in a PM? Maybe I'll just stop getting involved all together, not as caught up in my "proper thread etiquette" as others.

To be clear, I didn't take the OP's "description" as mis-leading, he worded it a certain way and I understood.

That's what I was thinking too. I edited my post because I thought the "description" of the book was fair. He said "like this" book. Maybe he was comparing it to the other book because his book is the only one, kinda hard to compare a book when yours is the only one sold. I have GPA and looked and in May, a month later, a book with no sketch and 1 sig sold for $100 more. I think that's pretty comparable. He should correct his post and explain differently, I get it. But maybe he should've been known about his mistake in a PM? Maybe I'll just stop getting involved all together, not as caught up in my "proper thread etiquette" as others.

To be clear, I didn't take the OP's "description" as mis-leading, he worded it a certain way and I understood.

I understand. I think it will always be a judgment call on a case by case basis. Myself I have not been consistent in PMs versus open posts, albeit I've always tried to stick to the official "ok to post" rules reminder that Arch laid down. The problem is that not every problem (such as GPA quoting) is covered in the official rules.

For me often its whether I get a whiff of attitude or not on the seller's part, if I get a sense of the old "I'm too cool for rules" type, I'm more comfortable with the posting in the thread response. Otherwise I now try to first PM as a courtesy.

I understand. I think it will always be a judgment call on a case by case basis. Myself I have not been consistent in PMs versus open posts, albeit I've always tried to stick to the official "ok to post" rules reminder that Arch laid down. The problem is that not every problem (such as GPA quoting) is covered in the official rules.

For me often its whether I get a whiff of attitude or not on the seller's part, if I get a sense of the old "I'm too cool for rules" type, I'm more comfortable with the posting in the thread response. Otherwise I now try to first PM as a courtesy.

Yea I understand too about the "too cool for school" thing. I am more conscience about paying attention to the "join date" the "post count" the "time stamp" of the boardie, and I just felt that the OP has been here long enough to know what's right and wrong, hell he's been here longer than me and even I have been corrected and learned my lesson.

Anyways, carry on everyone. All is good. Love ya Mike :foryou:

I agree completely about the GPA thing, it is different. GPA is often quoted as an authority or as objective, authoritative data of its kind, and like the quoting of any authoritative source, you are obligated to do it in proper context.

If in a sales thread a seller quoted a well known media commentator as to how great an investment a book was etc, to encourage a sale, and the quote was found to be out of context, I think people would expect that to be corrected, or deleted.

Separate and distinct from the issue of whether you the boardie should have PMed the seller or said it in the thread, at least for me, anytime someone puts GPA data in a sales thread, or cites it, or really relies on it for anything, I go to GPA and see it and research it for myself.

Thats just due dilligence and being an informed buyer. Anyone that doesnt do that in the first place should probably start regardless of their position on whether or not you should PM or post in the thread about this stuff.

Separate and distinct from the issue of whether you the boardie should have PMed the seller or said it in the thread, at least for me, anytime someone puts GPA data in a sales thread, or cites it, or really relies on it for anything, I go to GPA and see it and research it for myself.

Thats just due dilligence and being an informed buyer. Anyone that doesnt do that in the first place should probably start regardless of their position on whether or not you should PM or post in the thread about this stuff.

What % of buyers are subscribers?

I agree that people should check GPA for themselves, which is what led to the question being asked of the seller.

That doesn't really address the issue of a seller using GPA and a forum member/buyer who isn't a subscriber relying on his analysis as accurate, complete or to be taken at face value.

I know you aren't putting this on all buyers to be subscribers, but it made me think....I'd prefer to hold a seller to a standard of crystal clear GPA disclosure (if they choose to use GPA as a sales tactic) before I'd ever demand all buyers be subscribers.

Pernts

Awww Man.....and I heard there's going to be a second Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

This is gonna be a hot one.

GOTG%20Lantern_zpsgks2hylv.png

I just got back from having dinner with some friends, had a few beers and listened to a good blues band in Crete Illinois.

I find the Puppet Master thread, and just when it started to get good, you bad boys get it all locked up. Now my night is a nothing but a black hole of emptiness. Give me some ing references dammit, and right now. :acclaim:

I need another beer. :banana: