• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8792971#Post8792971

Obviously the pricing came from somewhere right?

"I looked it over, and I think this is grade X.X. Obviously, I'm not a pro grader, but here's some big pictures, please look them over carefully before purchase. Please feel free to ask me questions about it, and I'll do my best to answer those questions."

Of course its within the rules, and I don't think there's any intent to deceive or anything, its just a matter of best practices. I just don't understand why a person wouldn't assign a grade. (Yes I get that they might not want to argue over grade, I just don't see why you'd want to make it harder for a buyer)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8792971#Post8792971

Obviously the pricing came from somewhere right?

"I looked it over, and I think this is grade X.X. Obviously, I'm not a pro grader, but here's some big pictures, please look them over carefully before purchase. Please feel free to ask me questions about it, and I'll do my best to answer those questions."

Of course its within the rules, and I don't think there's any intent to deceive or anything, its just a matter of best practices. I just don't understand why a person wouldn't assign a grade. (Yes I get that they might not want to argue over grade, I just don't see why you'd want to make it harder for a buyer)

I believe he graded that one in one of his previous sales threads. There was some, um, disagreement.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=385369&Number=8770668#Post8770668

My opinion on it is the only people that should be buying a book for that much money not slabbed are people who are pretty damn good at grading or buying from someone they really trust. I wonder how much giving this book a grade would actually help.

My opinion on it is the only people that should be buying a book for that much money not slabbed are people who are pretty damn good at grading or buying from someone they really trust. I wonder how much giving this book a grade would actually help.

Of course any sane person would examine closely themselves, BUT some things can't be seen in a pic and there's something to knowing I'm paying $1000 to someone who can be trusted reasonably. For some reason, he's priced it at $1000, I'd like to know why. I get that its not a requirement, and he doesn't owe me anything in terms of explanation, I could just move on (as can we all). Just seems like MORE info would cut down on questions and help something sell better/faster.

And now to find out there may have been some dispute....

I believe he graded that one in one of his previous sales threads. There was some, um, disagreement.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=385369&Number=8770668#Post8770668

In a case like this I'd rather he didn't post a grade and just large pics and a price.

In a case like this I'd rather he didn't post a grade and just large pics and a price.

yah, I guess I'm starting to get it...although I think I'd mention the flaws....but I guess the big pics are enough.

"Structurally perfect except the spine tic across from the hat and the two scratches by the top staple. I'm not too sure how that's graded, but please take that into account."

yah, I guess I'm starting to get it...although I think I'd mention the flaws....but I guess the big pics are enough.

"Structurally perfect except the spine tic across from the hat and the two scratches by the top staple. I'm not too sure how that's graded, but please take that into account."

Yup. Point out the defects, post clear pics and then buyers choose. I have no problem buying comics like that.

And I'd only ask for a return if something was missed by the seller or wasn't shown clearly in the pics.

I'd rather that than some seller say it's a 9.8 with a press when it obviously isn't.

Yup. Point out the defects, post clear pics and then buyers choose. I have no problem buying comics like that.

And I'd only ask for a return if something was missed by the seller or wasn't shown clearly in the pics.

I'd rather that than some seller say it's a 9.8 with a press when it obviously isn't.

ironically sometimes I have questions when they sell other high grade high cost comics but don't bother to get an even more expensive comic graded. I begin to wonder what they're hiding...but that's just me.

ironically sometimes I have questions when they sell other high grade high cost comics but don't bother to get an even more expensive comic graded. I begin to wonder what they're hiding...but that's just me.

Everyone is different. Sometimes people just can't be bothered to have a book graded.

I guess it's a matter of how much you trust your eyes (as well as the seller).

Everyone is different. Sometimes people just can't be bothered to have a book graded.

Well, there is a certain prominent seller where ... let's just say that a raw high-grade book is a dead certainty to come back from CGC well below the stated grade.

Well, there is a certain prominent seller where ... let's just say that a raw high-grade book is a dead certainty to come back from CGC well below the stated grade.

I have no idea who you're talking about but that's why I qualified it with trusting your own eyes or the seller.

I won't buy if I'm not confident about the grade.

I have no idea who you're talking about but that's why I qualified it with trusting your own eyes or the seller.

I won't buy if I'm not confident about the grade.

Let each dealer search his own heart!

And it's definitely not you. Your grading is accurate to within 3 mm.

If it's that Hulk #181 with the minimum 4 color breaking spins ticks from the scan and the color breaking crease in the upper right hand corner with rounded corner then I would be in agreement. I have it at an 8.5 in current state and not achieving better than 9.0 after pressing and cleaning, but that's just my professional opinion.