• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

:takeit: pending PM should be OK, but it should always be trumped by an unconditional :takeit: That way everyone is on notice of a provisional sale, and anyone that wants to buy unconditionally outright at the stated terms can do so unfettered.

That seems the most fair so that the "pending PMer" knows the risks he/she is taking by putting the conditions on, and also does not tie up the item from a willing buyer.

:takeit: on this post, pending the poster responds to my PM and clarifies items 2, 3, and 4.

:sumo:

I see your point, but this could lead to some significant problems in the future (especially with similarly rare or high demand books). Let's say you offered the :takeit: pending PM on a book that someone else has a big need for who then posts :takeit: without any provisions. My guess is we would quickly have a battle on our hands. I simply base this on big disagreements you will occasionally see on the public versus PM :takeit: situations.

I always looked at it as you assume a time risk by sending a PM. Sure some sellers are slow to respond, but you have determined that waiting for a reply/discount/additional pics is worth not taking the book immediately. For example, in one of Frank's sales threads he posted an Avengers 5 for $20 or so but had a picture of #6. Great deal either way :) so I hit the :takeit: In that case, I am assuming the opposite risk...committed to buy either way and assuming his description of the grade was accurate without a visual to go on (although he gracefully offered to let me take it off the table due to the error)

The :takeit: pending PM just seems a little like cheating to me :juggle: Have to fall in the camp of folks who do not like this (and in my own sales threads I would not honor this if a :takeit: came in the meantime.

Just my two cents,

Heath

:baiting:

:takeit: pending PM should be OK, but it should always be trumped by an unconditional :takeit: That way everyone is on notice of a provisional sale, and anyone that wants to buy unconditionally outright at the stated terms can do so unfettered.

That seems the most fair so that the "pending PMer" knows the risks he/she is taking by putting the conditions on, and also does not tie up the item from a willing buyer.

I agree with that. The best thing to do is just to post that a PM has been sent, which doesn't confuse anyone who might wonder if the book is taken yet. The end result would still be the same for the sales purposes. An unconditional :takeit: still should win the book unless the seller had already agreed to something without posting it yet.

IMO, the intention of saying :takeit: pending the conditions in a PM should be stated just in the PM.

:takeit: on this post, pending the poster responds to my PM and clarifies items 2, 3, and 4.

:sumo:

I see your point, but this could lead to some significant problems in the future (especially with similarly rare or high demand books). Let's say you offered the :takeit: pending PM on a book that someone else has a big need for who then posts :takeit: without any provisions. My guess is we would quickly have a battle on our hands. I simply base this on big disagreements you will occasionally see on the public versus PM :takeit: situations.

I always looked at it as you assume a time risk by sending a PM. Sure some sellers are slow to respond, but you have determined that waiting for a reply/discount/additional pics is worth not taking the book immediately. For example, in one of Frank's sales threads he posted an Avengers 5 for $20 or so but had a picture of #6. Great deal either way :) so I hit the :takeit: In that case, I am assuming the opposite risk...committed to buy either way and assuming his description of the grade was accurate without a visual to go on (although he gracefully offered to let me take it off the table due to the error)

The :takeit: pending PM just seems a little like cheating to me :juggle: Have to fall in the camp of folks who do not like this (and in my own sales threads I would not honor this if a :takeit: came in the meantime.

Just my two cents,

Heath

:baiting:

:taptaptap:

Still no PM...so no sale!!!

Gonna have to put this post back in the long box or up on the 'Bay :sorry:

The problem is that when someone posts a conditional "takeit", it still looks like a "takeit" to everyone else. Look at Andrew's latest FS thread, for instance:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4525622

Cal posts this:

:takeit: PER PM Inquiry.

Andrew posts this:

Replied to your question, edited ASM #19 post description as well.

If I'm scrolling through that thread, it looks like that ASM #19 has sold - and Andrew now has to post to explain that the book is still on the market.

Doesn't really matter how its stated... the buyer usually ends up telling the seller how it's supposed to be done... or at least tries to.

Considering the poll you started back then showed a clear majority agreeing with the buyer, perhaps it's time to let this one go :thumbsup:

Doesn't really matter how its stated... the buyer usually ends up telling the seller how it's supposed to be done... or at least tries to.

Considering the poll you started back then showed a clear majority agreeing with the buyer, perhaps it's time to let this one go :thumbsup:

At 60/40... not a "clear" anything sir. (thumbs u

Edited by Bio-Rupp

The problem is that when someone posts a conditional "takeit", it still looks like a "takeit" to everyone else. Look at Andrew's latest FS thread, for instance:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4525622

Cal posts this:

Andrew posts this:

If I'm scrolling through that thread, it looks like that ASM #19 has sold - and Andrew now has to post to explain that the book is still on the market.

Looking at the thread, the books appears to be sold because of the wording. I would think that he has the PM oked. Unless I scroll down pass this then I wouldn't know if the book is available.

If the buyer wants to ask questions, they really shouldn't use the sign at all. My belief is that unless it is a really hot book, most members would want to snag a book from someone else. So putting up a conditional I'll take it just hampers a future sale for the seller.

Cal posts this:

Andrew posts this:

After reviewing the play, the call on the field has been overturned. Seanfingh is an idiota for even thinking such a beast as a conditional :takeit: could ever be tenable. MSchmidt will not be charged a timeout.

lol

Looks like someone is ready for some more of the NFL playoffs this weekend (thumbs u

It's gonna be epic in New England around 4:30PM this weekend. :headbang:

:censored:

NE vs Indy, right?

Oh no, forgot about that......