• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I don't disagree with you Roy, but doesn't asking all these things from people who won't even read the ten or so selling guidelines seem a little optimistic?

It removes the ignorance factor... hm

Jim

Impossible.

True...but it'll allow the "Forum Police", who/whatever that is, to nip it in the bud immediately instead of the normal "I'm a newbie", "I wasn't sure", etc, goatrope that transpires in most those threads...

Jim

I don't disagree with you Roy, but doesn't asking all these things from people who won't even read the ten or so selling guidelines seem a little optimistic?

It removes the ignorance factor... hm

Jim

Impossible.

True...but it'll allow the "Forum Police", who/whatever that is, to nip it in the bud immediately instead of the normal "I'm a newbie", "I wasn't sure", etc, goatrope that transpires in most those threads...

Jim

Technically, they can do that now.

The problem with the enforcement of the Rules by Forum members isn't the act of enforcement, but rather the discouraging tendency for other Forumites to excoriate the person making the enforcing post...

The problem with the enforcement of the Rules by Forum members isn't the act of enforcement, but rather the discouraging tendency for other Forumites to excoriate the person making the enforcing post...

Exactly...set-up a clickable page thru for selling comics and the apologists have no basis to talk...

Jim

Exactly...set-up a clickable page thru for selling comics and the apologists have no basis to talk...

Jim

And that is my idea. They have to acknowledge the rules pro actively rather than read them passively and then boom...they're gone if they don't conform.

R.

How?

I've seen threads that have gone on for days before a Mod takes action, and a recent one where I got so ticked I hit the "Notify Mods" button, only to be told it had already been done.

How?

I've seen threads that have gone on for days before a Mod takes action, and a recent one where I got so ticked I hit the "Notify Mods" button, only to be told it had already been done.

I think that one of the reasons this new idea would be beneficial is not only to help our threads be more fun and less messy but also make the mods job easier. All a forumite has to do is make a post saying "mod notified" and then everyone knows

a) the guy did not conform

b) Mod is notified

and then

BOOM

He's gone.

:grin:

R.

Actually, the thread was closed by the seller in a more or less mature fashion when the rules were pointed out, and the thread was dead. Then, you lumbered in... :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: ...and it went downhill. Sorry if that doesn't agree with your version of what happened, but that's exactly how that thread evolved. (thumbs u

Hey, I admit coming in late, and replying to a few posts before reading the 8-10 pages of drivel, but since a) the books, scans and prices were still there and b) the thread was still active, I really had no idea anyone had done some bizarre "soft close". (shrug)

Ok, that subject is now closed. Done.

:wishluck:

Jim

That's a good idea too...a one page "hoop" you have to jump through before starting a new thread! :applause:

Jim

That's a good idea too ...a one page "hoop" you have to jump through before starting a new thread! :applause:

That's what I was walking about ALL along.

What did you think I was talking about?

R.

Jim

That's a good idea too ...a one page "hoop" you have to jump through before starting a new thread! :applause:

R.

boobies? :shrug:

How?

None of that nullifies the "technically" portion of my post.

I chalk up the lack of action to one of any number of things Arch has mentioned in the past, including but not limited to a difference of opinion between the Moderators and the offended party(ies).

(shrug)

While I like the idea of having a form and the digital signing thereof as a sort of panacea to the ills of the Marketplace, any action on the part of Forumites reporting a thread will still pass through a human filter. Necessarily so, as leaving that out opens the Forum to all kinds of shenanigans, such as hitting the Notify button to remove a person's sales thread for no other reason than malice.

And thus, we are back here again. Obvious threads get dumped fairly rapidly in most cases. Threads that leave wiggle room for interpretation tend to stick around. I don't see any way that we're going to be able to FORCE anyone to follow the rules, or eliminate people from disobeying. All we can do is stay vigilant, and report the people who violate the rules as we individually interpret them, and allow the Mods to do their work as they see fit

(shrug)

And thus, we are back here again. Obvious threads get dumped fairly rapidly in most cases. Threads that leave wiggle room for interpretation tend to stick around. I don't see any way that we're going to be able to FORCE anyone to follow the rules, or eliminate people from disobeying. All we can do is stay vigilant, and report the people who violate the rules as we individually interpret them, and allow the Mods to do their work as they see fit

(shrug)

At a minimum it will curtail, to an extent, the hemming and hawing against those members who do point out violations...

Jim

(shrug)

At a minimum it will curtail, to an extent, the hemming and hawing against those members who do point out violations...

Jim

True, but it seems like a lot of work for SOMEBODY for something we may be able to fix ourselves.

(shrug)

Jim

...AND THIS will prevent the threads from staying at the top of the forum.

Sal, I still think that the digi-form will make things MORE black and white and less grey therefore making it easier for the mods to deleted a thread. And anything that helps us agree on here is a good thing.

How many arguements have we had over whether a selling thread was worth moderating or not? Lots.

(shrug)

R.

(shrug)

Jim

True, but it seems like a lot of work for SOMEBODY for something we may be able to fix ourselves.

Is it a lot of work to come up with a form like this? I'd think it's more work for Arch to answer emails of forumites person_without_enough_empathying and complaining and then reading an entire thread to figure out what is wrong and then handing out strikes afterwards because we are arguing about it for 2 weeks after the fact.

lol

There should be an

Add comment, but don't bump the thread capability....

so if you want to just speak your mind in an otherwise mindless selling thread, but don't want to bump it to the top....You can.. :sumo:

I still want to comment on the 1980's Iron Man lot of 5 VG's for $45 shipped in yellow bags with reflection.....but I do not want to bump it over my selling thread or others with decent offerings. :headbang:

(shrug)

Jim

...AND THIS will prevent the threads from staying at the top of the forum.

Sal, I still think that the digi-form will make things MORE black and white and less grey therefore making it easier for the mods to deleted a thread. And anything that helps us agree on here is a good thing.

How many arguements have we had over whether a selling thread was worth moderating or not? Lots.

(shrug)

R.

What bothers me, and what keeps me from saying something, many times (because I'll admit it, I'm a Libra;) ...are the people who jump in to defend the person who is not following the rules. There have been many examples, I don't want to mention specific names and start an argument, but if someone is nice enough to mention that you should NOT be selling books that are listed on Ebay, or you should NOT be listing PGX books, (even though you hide the label and just say "hehe") or you should NOT be listing stuff with just an ask for price...there are invariably people who jump the person making the statement...and say..."well, that rule spoons, or that rule is dumb, or that rule should be changed, or HEY, this guy is giving us WONDERFUL deals, so hush...

I know that lots of times, the newbies, are just new...and there are a few turkeys sprinkled in, but most people try...but when something DOES happen and a member points it out...it's unbelievably annoying and frustrating for someone to make the person pointing it out, look like a dummy...(you can't say jerk, can you? )

anyway...my 2c

R.

I thought you were talking about a submittal form where you would have to individually enter data for every book you want to list (and all the details, most notably price), and fulfill all the "requirements". Didn't you compare it to CGC's submittal form? What I got from Jim's post was that it would be a one page click-through where you simply acknowledge having read the guidelines before being allowed to proceed. (shrug)