• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Further, I don't know how much more clear I can be about this: I DON'T CARE WHETHER WE HAVE THE RULE ABOUT SEPARATE LOCATIONS. REMOVE IT...RETURN TO AN ALL MIXED SALES FORUM. ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT IF WE HAVE A RULE, MAKE IT CLEAR AND EASY TO ENFORCE. OTHERWISE GET RID OF IT.

:foryou:

OK, enough from me again...back to my cabinets...

Why do you keep on talking about returning to a single sales forum? Arch made that decision when he split the sales forum up years ago - it's not suddenly going to revert back, nor would it make any sense to do so.

The rules are already as clear as they're going to get ... Copper / Modern books in one forum, Bronze / Silver / Gold in another, and if you're mixing ages, your thread goes in Mixed Age. Again ... where's the confusion?

I think mixed wouldn't be as bad of a place as it is if more sellers who ran 2 threads decided to just create one in mixed. mixed shouldn't be as bad as it is today if we did a better job of embracing it. i took down my 2 threads and went to mixed.

Further, I don't know how much more clear I can be about this: I DON'T CARE WHETHER WE HAVE THE RULE ABOUT SEPARATE LOCATIONS. REMOVE IT...RETURN TO AN ALL MIXED SALES FORUM. ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT IF WE HAVE A RULE, MAKE IT CLEAR AND EASY TO ENFORCE. OTHERWISE GET RID OF IT.

Why do you keep on talking about returning to a single sales forum? Arch made that decision when he split the sales forum up years ago - it's not suddenly going to revert back, nor would it make any sense to do so.

The rules are already as clear as they're going to get ... Copper / Modern books in one forum, Bronze / Silver / Gold in another, and if you're mixing ages, your thread goes in Mixed Age. Again ... where's the confusion?

Not to mention, the more we hassle Arch about minor points, the more likely he is to just shut the sales forums down. He already said before that if the sales forums became too much of a hassle, or if the mods had to continually step in, that he'd just shut it down, and save himself the headache.

The only thing that the continual "button-humping" of sales threads is going to do is cause it all to come to a close. I'm sure the mods have better things to do than try to determine whether or not all the books in a sales thread are age appropriate.

And for those that get upset about Arch or Dena not responding to your PMs?

You have to know the triple-secret-codeword to get a response from them. :whistle:

Ed, I just don't understand the sudden insistence that these rules need to be enforced to the very letter, or in this instance, arguable dates.

The Sales Forum on these boards have been a spectacular success for many years. Yes, there have been occasional problems, but that's true of any marketplace. Having some Copper books sneak their way into GSB isn't that big a deal in the total scheme of things. And any major issue that occurred here didn't have anything to do with whether a book belonged in the Bronze or Copper Age.

If you were talking about protecting people from scammers, I'd say go all out. Scream from the mountaintops. But this entire discussion and sudden insistence about the demarcation between Bronze and Copper seems a bit out of proportion to me.

Look, this is nothing personal with me any way you slice it. I'm new here. I love it here. I love buying and selling books here. I plan and hope to be a part of this community for the indefinite future, if you'll have me. In my estimation, this issue we're discussing is an important one. Look at the issues it's causing out there in the marketplace...I'm not causing those issues, the current location rules dynamics are. Because I love this place, I'm suggesting that we might want to address this. But again...here come the comments that trivialize the issue...a few books here and there, etc...I hear you, but it's not that simple...look out there at the issues that are arising.

Aside from the specific month that Bronze turns to Copper, the rules are clear...and enforcement is not in our purview. Hump the notify button if you see something out of place and you just can't stand it, and let a mod move it if they're so inclined. What's the big deal here?

If your thread gets moved and someone else's doesn't...there are greater injustices in this world...there are greater injustices in this thread...there are greater injustices in some of the grammar in this thread...there are probably greater injustices in some of the grammar in this post! :foryou:

The part in BOLD is vague. Not everyone agrees on the date range, hence the button-humping. I think if we can at least come to a vote on the date ranges there would be ZERO confusion.

Ed, I just don't understand the sudden insistence that these rules need to be enforced to the very letter, or in this instance, arguable dates.

The Sales Forum on these boards have been a spectacular success for many years. Yes, there have been occasional problems, but that's true of any marketplace. Having some Copper books sneak their way into GSB isn't that big a deal in the total scheme of things. And any major issue that occurred here didn't have anything to do with whether a book belonged in the Bronze or Copper Age.

If you were talking about protecting people from scammers, I'd say go all out. Scream from the mountaintops. But this entire discussion and sudden insistence about the demarcation between Bronze and Copper seems a bit out of proportion to me.

Look, this is nothing personal with me any way you slice it. I'm new here. I love it here. I love buying and selling books here. I plan and hope to be a part of this community for the indefinite future, if you'll have me. In my estimation, this issue we're discussing is an important one. Look at the issues it's causing out there in the marketplace...I'm not causing those issues, the current location rules dynamics are. Because I love this place, I'm suggesting that we might want to address this. But again...here come the comments that trivialize the issue...a few books here and there, etc...I hear you, but it's not that simple...look out there at the issues that are arising.

Aside from the specific month that Bronze turns to Copper, the rules are clear...and enforcement is not in our purview. Hump the notify button if you see something out of place and you just can't stand it, and let a mod move it if they're so inclined. What's the big deal here?

If your thread gets moved and someone else's doesn't...there are greater injustices in this world...there are greater injustices in this thread...there are greater injustices in some of the grammar in this thread...there are probably greater injustices in some of the grammar in this post! :foryou:

But, but, he's found a cause he can get behind gosh darn it! rantrant

It sure seems like such a little issue to get worked up into such a lather over. :ohnoez:

The part in BOLD is vague. Not everyone agrees on the date range, hence the button-humping. I think if we can at least come to a vote on the date ranges there would be ZERO confusion.

Easy - Copper starts in 1984.

But, but, he's found a cause he can get behind gosh darn it! rantrant

It sure seems like such a little issue to get worked up into such a lather over. :ohnoez:

In fairness to Ed, his bottom line argument is that clarity in the rules might mean less drama and therfore less disruption. This is not unreasonable or hysterical.

The only thing that the continual "button-humping" of sales threads is going to do is cause it all to come to a close. I'm sure the mods have better things to do than try to determine whether or not all the books in a sales thread are age appropriate.

I'd really love to know who it is, though I doubt that will ever come out. They are either:

1) Trying to make a point because of some experience they had before.

or

2) Extremely anal about comic ages and people that list things different than how they see the comic ages.

I lean towards (1) being the motivator. And that is messed up, as it is just toying with people's sales.

I can live with that. Problem solved. Merry Christmas everyone!

I can live with that. Problem solved. Merry Christmas everyone!

If only it was that easy. It isn't.

January 1984?

Cover dated 1984?

Published 1984?

First print in 1984?

Julian Calendar?

It's TOO VAGUE!!! :ohnoez:

"Look at me, look at me! I'm a NOOB who LOVES to stir up conversation and controversy"

Not saying any names but there's a few of you.

The Marketplace has been working successfully even BEFORE Arch revamped the category selection. So what if a seller has primarily GS/SA/BA books in a thread and happens to throw in some CA or DC drek? IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT. We have had enough drama on the Boards, and your insignificant flyspeck complaints are wearisome... go to eBay and take your chances there.

Some if not most of the offenders of the sacred rules you are whining about are offering up books at prices in grade you can't get anywhere else. They could easily just auction them off in CL and be done with it.

Anyone can sell here AT NO COST OR FEES OR BP, and you are complaining about a CA that happened to be listed in the wrong thread or a simultaneous recap of another thread b/c the seller has two separate FS threads running? Grab some tissue and stop crying.

Keep it up. When the marketplace gets taken away you can FINALLY boast that you affected change on the Boards. You will also be the first to whine when you can no longer buy/sell books on the Boards.

Just sayin....

Sigh...

Why do you keep on talking about returning to a single sales forum? Because when we first started discussing this, many people expressed the opinion that we shouldn't have to separate books into different threads...effectively returning to a de facto single sales forum - this was the implicit suggestion of others, not me...now I'm simply pointing out that it is indeed one of two possible ways of going forward. Arch made that decision when he split the sales forum up years ago - it's not suddenly going to revert back, nor would it make any sense to do so Personally, I agree with you.

The rules are already as clear as they're going to get ... Copper / Modern books in one forum, Bronze / Silver / Gold in another, and if you're mixing ages, your thread goes in Mixed Age. Again ... where's the confusion? The beginning and ending dates...this confusion is easy to clarify in the rules, as I previously suggested

The only thing that the continual "button-humping" of sales threads is going to do is cause it all to come to a close.You could easily make the argument that it's NOT the button humping that will bring things to a close, rather it is sellers' refusal to follow the rules that will bring things to a close. In fact, if you read the "TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES", technically Arch says we are expected to hump buttons when we see violations of forum guidelines.

I'm sure the mods have better things to do than try to determine whether or not all the books in a sales thread are age appropriate. I agree we want to make the mods' jobs easier, not harder. Codifying acceptable start/end dates in the existing rule would directly and immediately make their jobs easier

But, but, he's found a cause he can get behind gosh darn it!

lolThe last thing I want or need is a cause...just trying to be helpful.

Great! Would some veteran member please PM Arch and ask him to write it down in the marketplace rules so there's no confusion. And note that we don't need to agree on the technical start date...just put one in the rules for us to follow

I'd really love to know who it is, though I doubt that will ever come out. They are either:

1) Trying to make a point because of some experience they had before.

or

2) Extremely anal about comic ages and people that list things different than how they see the comic ages.

or

3) Following Arch's directive in our Terms of Use and sincerely trying to uphold their responsibility (shrug)

January 1984?

Cover dated 1984?

Published 1984?

First print in 1984?

Julian Calendar?

Doesn't matter...just pick one and make it clear in the rule

Or, don't do any of these things. Again, nothing personal, not my "cause"...just trying to be helpful by identifying what I perceived to be a problem and offering a couple of constructive suggestions. I apologize for the disturbance.

"Look at me, look at me! I'm a NOOB who LOVES to stir up conversation and controversy"

The Marketplace has been working successfully even BEFORE Arch revamped the category selection. So what if a seller has primarily GS/SA/BA books in a thread and happens to throw in some CA or DC drek? IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT. We have had enough drama on the Boards, and your insignificant flyspeck complaints are wearisome... go to eBay and take your chances there.

Some if not most of the offenders of the sacred rules you are whining about are offering up books at prices in grade you can't get anywhere else. They could easily just auction them off in CL and be done with it.

Anyone can sell here AT NO COST OR FEES OR BP, and you are complaining about a CA that happened to be listed in the wrong thread or a simultaneous recap of another thread b/c the seller has two separate FS threads running? Grab some tissue and stop crying.

Keep it up. When the marketplace gets taken away you can FINALLY boast that you affected change on the Boards. You will also be the first to whine when you can no longer buy/sell books on the Boards.

Just sayin....

Perhaps that will be enough...to appease Death.

Just sayin....

I'm assuming that you're referring to me. If not, you can understand how I might make that assumption. I didn't realize that raising a concern for discussion in the marketplace general discussion thread (which was created just for that purpose) was "stirring up controversy." Your points are duly noted. Thank you for that opinion.

Perhaps that will be enough...to appease Death.

Sigh....you know as well as I do it won't be. NOOB response/rebuttal with an insult or two thrown in starting in 3....2.....1....