• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Also, I have no desire to be some vigilante about this thing. Quite the contrary...trying to be helpful.

If there's general lack of support among the community for enforcement of this rule, I'll back off. That's what I'm trying to get a sense of by continuing to bring this up for discussion here. However, if that's the case, I would encourage someone to lead an effort to remove this rule from the books so that in the future we can avoid issues that have arisen as a result of the lukewarm and inconsistent enforcement of this rule.

Also, I have no desire to be some vigilante about this thing. Quite the contrary...trying to be helpful.

Oh, I understand that.

My only concern is where does this all end? How much popping into threads with reminders, gentle as they may be, is too much. I'm not sure this particular issue is enough of a problem to warrant the course you are suggesting.

However, the community can decide.

Put me down for being in favor of not enforcing this rule.

If there's general lack of support among the community for enforcement of this rule, I'll back off. That's what I'm trying to get a sense of by continuing to bring this up for discussion here. However, if that's the case, I would encourage someone to lead an effort to remove this rule from the books so that in the future we can avoid issues that have arisen as a result of the lukewarm and inconsistent enforcement of this rule.

Ed,

In theory the enforcement of the rule should never have to take place and sellers who have a mixed lot should sell there. However it appears that Mixed is a 4 letter word when it comes to the sales threads. Having had my sales thread banished there by someone who humped my thread, I can say that it's not pretty.

Maybe moving forward instead of folks creating two threads (shameless plug coming up) like I recently did in G/S/B (lots a great books lol) and Copper/Modern (ahem) maybe their should be more encouragement of sellers selling there instead of the 2 big ones.

It is definitely easier in one thread, for both the buyer and the seller.

Thanks for your thoughts, Hector. (by the way, thanks also for setting an example by running your threads in accordance with the existing rules)

Having had my sales thread banished there by someone who humped my thread, I can say that it's not pretty.

So, rhetorically, given that you had your thread moved, I'm interested in how you feel about the mixed threads in G/S/B that don't get moved...unfair, right?

Maybe moving forward instead of folks creating two threads (shameless plug coming up) like I recently did in G/S/B (lots a great books lol) and Copper/Modern (ahem) maybe their should be more encouragement of sellers selling there instead of the 2 big ones.

I agree, but enforcement of the rule would be all the "encouragement" they need

I need a history lesson, since I've only been here since February. I imagine that long ago, the marketplace was one big sales area...just one big Mixed thread. Then, I imagine that some member or group of members thought that it was too messy, and thought that the current sub-forum structure and its rules would be better. I bet there was a democratic process that then established the current structure...a poll, perhaps?

Is this basically how it went? If so, who among you veteran boardies spent energy accomplishing the current structure, and how do you feel about the current state of affairs, where the separate sub-fora are de facto returning to one big Mixed thread again because of lukewarm enforcement of the structure you helped create?