• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Thanks for your thoughts, Hector. (by the way, thanks also for setting an example by running your threads in accordance with the existing rules)

Having had my sales thread banished there by someone who humped my thread, I can say that it's not pretty.

So, rhetorically, given that you had your thread moved, I'm interested in how you feel about the mixed threads in G/S/B that don't get moved...unfair, right?

Maybe moving forward instead of folks creating two threads (shameless plug coming up) like I recently did in G/S/B (lots a great books lol) and Copper/Modern (ahem) maybe their should be more encouragement of sellers selling there instead of the 2 big ones.

I agree, but enforcement of the rule would be all the "encouragement" they need

I need a history lesson, since I've only been here since February. I imagine that long ago, the marketplace was one big sales area...just one big Mixed thread. Then, I imagine that some member or group of members thought that it was too messy, and thought that the current sub-forum structure and its rules would be better. I bet there was a democratic process that then established the current structure...a poll, perhaps?

Is this basically how it went? If so, who among you veteran boardies spent energy accomplishing the current structure, and how do you feel about the current state of affairs, where the separate sub-fora are de facto returning to one big Mixed thread again because of lukewarm enforcement of the structure you helped create?

I don't remember the details. However, forum admin Architect was directly involved. I don't think any changes could be done without the approval of him or whomever is serving in his stead these days. He used to be a lot more active on the boards.

Thanks for your thoughts, Hector. (by the way, thanks also for setting an example by running your threads in accordance with the existing rules)

Having had my sales thread banished there by someone who humped my thread, I can say that it's not pretty.

So, rhetorically, given that you had your thread moved, I'm interested in how you feel about the mixed threads in G/S/B that don't get moved...unfair, right?

Maybe moving forward instead of folks creating two threads (shameless plug coming up) like I recently did in G/S/B (lots a great books lol) and Copper/Modern (ahem) maybe their should be more encouragement of sellers selling there instead of the 2 big ones.

I need a history lesson, since I've only been here since February. I imagine that long ago, the marketplace was one big sales area...just one big Mixed thread. Then, I imagine that some member or group of members thought that it was too messy, and thought that the current sub-forum structure and its rules would be better. I bet there was a democratic process that then established the current structure...a poll, perhaps?

Is this basically how it went? If so, who among you veteran boardies spent energy accomplishing the current structure, and how do you feel about the current state of affairs, where the separate sub-fora are de facto returning to one big Mixed thread again because of lukewarm enforcement of the structure you helped create?

yes unfair. but i've learned to live that on these boards the community rules, and for some folks the rules are either not upheld or conveniently overlooked. I really don't care.

yes, enforcement is the key but I think also setting the example. so moving forward I think we both could start our future multiple threads in mixed like Rupp.

Well, the gentle rules reminder that I posted in HusTrucK's thread got POOFed. That fact, along with the general vibe thus far, tells me that I'm harping on something that the general community feels is not important.

OK...fair enough...I'll back off this. I've tried to lay out the arguments concerning my opinion as to why the current situation is problematic. However, as mentioned, I'm not going vigilante. If someone else wants to reinitiate the discussion, I'll contribute.

I'm not going to hump any buttons, and I'm not going to post any (more) rules reminders about location issues.

(shrug)

Now, I'm going to go reorganize my cabinets. lol

so someone humped your post as being a threadcrap?

Personally I dont have a problem with copper in the G/S/B, its all the flipping craziness in Modern that I wouldnt want seeing muddy the G/S/B sales forum.

(not that GSB doesnt have its own "sell high"/flipping that occurs... Avengers58, IM55, etc... it's just not DC 3-D level of crazy).

Personally I dont have a problem with copper in the G/S/B, its all the flipping craziness in Modern that I wouldnt want seeing muddy the G/S/B sales forum.

+ 1

If it's not a virtual e-bay adver-thread (limited time only) then it's the bumps...

:bump::hi::bump:lol :bump:GLWTS buddy :bump: I would be all over this but... :bump:

etc...

That's more unfair to other sellers than listing a copper age book in the wrong forum.

2c

+ 1

If it's not a virtual e-bay adver-thread (limited time only) then it's the bumps...

:bump::hi::bump:lol :bump:GLWTS buddy :bump: I would be all over this but... :bump:

etc...

That's more unfair to other sellers than listing a copper age book in the wrong forum.

2c

:hi:

Copper shouldn't be lumped in with modern.

'Nuff said

What if what other people call "copper" books you will always consider "modern"? :preach:

I'm old.

It's just plain stupid. It's like saying " Pay me instantly, and it's gonna cost ya an extra 3%." :facepalm:

I don't charge extra for people using paypal.

However, I do charge a flat 5% to guarantee that I don't fart into the shipping box before I seal it up.

The fee is entirely optional, but it's highly recommended.

According to my assistant, there is a package from you on my desk. Just sent myself an email reminding myself to open it outside.

Put a post it note on your desk to remind yourself to read your email.

I don't remember the details. However, forum admin Architect was directly involved. I don't think any changes could be done without the approval of him or whomever is serving in his stead these days. He used to be a lot more active on the boards.

He stopped by recently to ban BLB.

He stopped by recently to ban BLB.

...and he did take the time to read my PM concerning favoritism and preferential treatment to certain members too... but he didn't respond. :(

You realize that every second spent debating the merits of grown men being able to sell their comic books in a particular fashion, within a particular forum thread, brings the danger of a permanent and retroactive specter of virginity on the collecting hobby as a whole.

The upside of Mixed is that a thread will stay on the first page for days and days without a bump. The downside is that, even with all that face time, no one buys your shid.

In theory the enforcement of the rule should never have to take place and sellers who have a mixed lot should sell there. However it appears that Mixed is a 4 letter word when it comes to the sales threads. Having had my sales thread banished there by someone who humped my thread, I can say that it's not pretty.

It looks like I was also a victim of somebody humping my sales thread in GSB and it was moved to Mixed today. The vast majority of the books are bronze. And I'll agree that some of the books are borderline bronze at best and one or two were outliers. But it seems kind of harsh to me. I'm selling a couple books that are clearly Copper and Modern and I started a separate thread for those two.

I'd rather just be told clearly the date age cut-offs for each section. And good luck with that because there will never be a universally accepted definition of Gold, Silver, and Bronze.

Or like it's been here for years, people can resist the urge to hit the notify button for minutiae.