• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

You would think the monthly stories on the news about people losing their jobs due to postings on Facebook and Twitter would be a red flag to some people. My personal favorites are the individual_without_enough_empathys that steal phones and then take selfies with them, leading to their arrest. :facepalm:

Never underestimate the power of stupidity.

lol has that really happened?

Nail me to the wall if you like but I just feel sad for this kid.

Of course, that’s how everyone should feel. I think this was pretty much out of the question.

That is why I insisted in saying that maybe it would not be a bad idea to talk to his father (especially those which had more deals with him), even if we can be pessimistic about his father's attitude if all those posts are by his own hand.

You would think the monthly stories on the news about people losing their jobs due to postings on Facebook and Twitter would be a red flag to some people. My personal favorites are the individual_without_enough_empathys that steal phones and then take selfies with them, leading to their arrest. :facepalm:

selfie5n-1-web.jpg

NY Daily News

One of many

Of course, that’s how everyone should feel. I think this was pretty much out of the question.

That is why I insisted in saying that maybe it would not be a bad idea to talk to his father (especially those which had more deals with him), even if we can be pessimistic about his father's attitude if all those posts are by his own hand.

Claudio, I'll bite.

And what will be gained by engaging the father or proving the father was involved? at this point, the kid will be banned, all deals have been concluded or money returned. I guess I'm not sure why we should continue? oh wait I forgot the people want blood.

Proceed.

So do I. Especially because he has such an individual_without_enough_empathy for a dad.

selfie5n-1-web.jpg

NY Daily News

One of many

Brilliant!!

Claudio, I'll bite.

And what will be gained by engaging the father or proving the father was involved? at this point, the kid will be banned, all deals have been concluded or money returned. I guess I'm not sure why we should continue? oh wait I forgot the people want blood.

Proceed.

Yeesh, I don't get the beef. A lot of our fellow Boardies were snookered by a 12 year old kid, and we learned about it like 12 hours ago. Is it so awful to vent for a while? It's a pretty nutso situation.

Claudio, I'll bite.

Proceed.

No, no, I’m not saying that.

If you follow what I have written, this kind of publicization (and keeping to talk about it) is precisely what I find objectionable.

I was just suggesting that if someone feels inclined to do so, he could contact the father and talk a little about the gravity of the situation, without exaggerating it, but also without neglecting it. But I mean this in the most private of ways.

Yeesh, I don't get the beef. A lot of our fellow Boardies were snookered by a 12 year old kid, and we learned about it like 12 hours ago. Is it so awful to vent for a while? It's a pretty nutso situation.

Yes, Speedy is right here: you cannot prevent such a situation made public, now in a context like the worldwide web is, to have some resonance.

What I was questioning is the lack of reflection, and the arbitrary positions of "outrage". Because with caution and discretion, even the father can learn something from this, but without them, all the words will be pretty much useless (otherwise than some means of reflection for us).

I cant help it because it just keeps getting better

"Just got a lesson on Comic Book Grading from my boy. Do you know the difference between CGC and PGX gradings? Do you know the difference in value between and 8.4 and a 9.2 grading? Well neither did I but I understand more of it now. If you DON'T understand this AND you have comics collecting dust in the attic, CALL ME NOW! He's a buyer! Quite the little business man. He kept having to stop our conversation to respond to emails with other collectors. I asked him, '..they don't know you're 11 years old do they?' He said, 'NO WAY'. We DO monitor is email. However, he doesn't write like an 11 year old."

so dad was telling him to lie on the boards about his age?

Clearly there were a few key topics that were not covered in Bible camp. :facepalm:

For what it's worth, I think the kid is a textbook sociopath and his parents, extremely irresponsible.

They are enabling him to engage in dishonest, deceitful, manipulative behavior, and at a very young age to boot.

I finally caught up with this thread. Have to agree with you Nate, this young man has told a series of lies and cunningly used those lies to screw members of the community for his own financial gain.

If he was my son I'd be very worried.

You overlook where the behavior is learned....

Yes, Speedy is right here: you cannot prevent such a situation made public, now in a context like the worldwide web is, to have some resonance.

What I was questioning is the lack of reflection, and the arbitrary positions of "outrage". Because with caution and discretion, even the father can learn something from this, but without them, all the words will be pretty much useless (otherwise than some means of reflection for us).

Yeah, this is an Internet chat board. It's not the place where GIJOEISAWESOME's father is going to get child rearing tips. Not everywhere needs to be a garden of holistic learning and growth, every moment of every day. Sometimes it's okay to vent, rail, be outraged, poke fun, etc. Even in a situation exactly like this one.

"Just got a lesson on Comic Book Grading from my boy. Do you know the difference between CGC and PGX gradings? Do you know the difference in value between and 8.4 and a 9.2 grading? Well neither did I but I understand more of it now. If you DON'T understand this AND you have comics collecting dust in the attic, CALL ME NOW! He's a buyer! Quite the little business man. He kept having to stop our conversation to respond to emails with other collectors. I asked him, '..they don't know you're 11 years old do they?' He said, 'NO WAY'. We DO monitor is email. However, he doesn't write like an 11 year old."

Clearly there were a few key topics that were not covered in Bible camp. :facepalm:

Last points on this. Again, just my view of it.

I don't think this dad understands that the comic book industry is a serious industry! I just thinks he views comics, like most outside of the collecting world, as useless junk. :o To him, his son is buying and selling toys or "funny books". Nothing more. Nothing less.

"CALL ME NOW!....Quite the little business man." You guys really see this than anything other than a proud parent who is happy his soon to be teenage son isn't getting involved with drugs or gangs or getting in trouble at school?

"They don't know you're 11 years old do they?" --> maybe he just is so proud that his son acts as an "adult" and that people believe he's an adult. I don't read this as his father was behind the scenes - dxctjn.gif "yes son, yes! Rip off those comic book people out of $15 here in partial refunds or $20 there! Yess.... good....good. :devil: "

Man, I must be naive. I'm not trying to be sarcastic at all. I just view the situation so much differently than you guys! (shrug)

On this site, in particular, here are the things you'll learn about the 'commerce' that takes place in this hobby.

- the grade of books is the most important aspect when determining value

- grading is subjective & opinions will vary

- being a good or tough negotiator is not a crime, it is admirable

- selling a book to a collector for more than you bought it for is the "game"

- it's ok for a seller to ask too much for a book & get it

- if you pay more than what a book is worth it is your fault

Is it surprising that a kid might :juggle: this information in his head and come up with an ethically questionable way to swap & sell comics on here by applying what he's learned? This hobby is not taken very seriously by the world at large - some of us forget that.

I give this kid a pass as long as no one is out of pocket.

I have no interest in facebook or the 'dad' comments but my father was pretty disinterested in this hobby when I was GIJOE's age & I'm sure he was rolling his eyes at the long-haired comic dealer who sold us my X-men 94 X-mas present for $45 bucks when I was 14 years old.

I don't think the dad knows enough to understand the extent of what most here feel is wrong or unethical behaviour - that's my thought on that.

Last points on this. Again, just my view of it.

I don't think this dad understands that the comic book industry is a serious industry! I just thinks he views comics, like most outside of the collecting world, as useless junk. :o To him, his son is buying and selling toys or "funny books". Nothing more. Nothing less.

"CALL ME NOW!....Quite the little business man." You guys really see this than anything other than a proud parent who is happy his soon to be teenage son isn't getting involved with drugs or gangs or getting in trouble at school?

"They don't know you're 11 years old do they?" --> maybe he just is so proud that his son acts as an "adult" and that people believe he's an adult. I don't read this as his father was behind the scenes - dxctjn.gif "yes son, yes! Rip off those comic book people out of $15 here in partial refunds or $20 there! Yess.... good....good. :devil: "

Man, I must be naive. I'm not trying to be sarcastic at all. I just view the situation so much differently than you guys! (shrug)

What's the current record for "last posts" on a subject?

On this site, in particular, here are the things you'll learn about the 'commerce' that takes place in this hobby.

- the grade of books is the most important aspect when determining value

- grading is subjective & opinions will vary

- being a good or tough negotiator is not a crime, it is admirable

- selling a book to a collector for more than you bought it for is the "game"

- it's ok for a seller to ask too much for a book & get it

- if you pay more than what a book is worth it is your fault

Is it surprising that a kid might :juggle: this information in his head and come up with an ethically questionable way to swap & sell comics on here by applying what he's learned? This hobby is not taken very seriously by the world at large - some of us forget that.

I give this kid a pass as long as no one is out of pocket.

I have no interest in facebook or the 'dad' comments but my father was pretty disinterested in this hobby when I was GIJOE's age & I'm sure he was rolling his eyes at the long-haired comic dealer who sold us my X-men 94 X-mas present for $45 bucks when I was 14 years old.

I don't think the dad knows enough to understand the extent of what most here feel is wrong or unethical behaviour - that's my thought on that.

Ouch, is that really all you see to be learned here?

Please stop sharing stuff thats on facebook that isn't on these boards its not right

There shouldn't be an issue with it since the father's facebook isn't set to private. It is not as if someone friend requested him or used some kind of questionable or illegal means to obtain said information. When the father is mentioning publicly on his facebook page about how well his son is doing selling comics, that seems like perfectly relevant information to the situation here.

Eventually there won't be an issue with all that.

Right now the mods are doing their work. People waiting for books or refunds are trying to get back to even. Those are the top priorities right now. I think everyone can agree that we don't want to impede the mods or potentially aggrieved boardies.