• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restored GA Keys

26 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Mr bla bla said:

There was a 4.5 ext tec27 last year that went for around 180k.

I wonder how far north it has climbed? If at all?

Do you really think it would have lost value since you don't see Action 1/Tec 27 for sale much.

19 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

There was a 4.5 ext tec27 last year that went for around 180k.

I wonder how far north it has climbed? If at all?

^^^^

Thanks, I did not know about this sale, that is strong :whatthe:

On 3/16/2017 at 2:43 PM, woowoo said:

I know few people that would pay price guide  2.0 for a restored 2.0 copy. My point is you cant pay guide prices for a 2.0 blue Action 1 or Tec 27 or Action 7 Few others. So if a Restored Action 1 CGC 2.0 EX was for sale at Heritage auction it would bring over the price guides 2.0 unrestored price IMO. So there is value in a Tec 27/Action 1 Restored and prices will go up fast on theses 2 books.

Need to take into account that a 2.0 copy of either book goes for multiples of guide price, so even if a restored copy goes for guide it's still going for a fraction of the unrestored price.   And that's not even considering the fact at 2.0 you're talking a level where random spills of glue and random markings on the cover are allowed in the grade.   So you could be looking at a "restored" 2.0 with color touch that would still be a 2.0 -- and be in a blue label -- if the same amount of coloring (or even a lot more) was simply somewhere in another place on the book.  

Edited by bluechip

On 3/15/2017 at 3:08 PM, fishbone said:

Totally agree it is so hard, as it is a combination of so few sales of restored  GA keys  over time and how to put a "formula" to it all.

Any other opinions, tricks, formulas that anyone knows of that is fairly accurate ? Anyone who has either bought or sold a lot of GA restored over the last several years and sees a trend?

Also, as unrestored keys go up  do you think restored keys go up by same factors ?

I have a sort of formula. Note, I am not an "expert" by any means.

However in 2013 I bought a 1.5 unrestored (Brittle) Golden Age key, and I recently purchased an additional copy of the same book, Restored 7.5 (extensive resto, but not TRIMMED)

I'm not sure which book counts as the "undercopy" lol

Note.. my thoughts do no apply to SLIGHT restoration. E.g a "Slight" resto 7.0 of a GA key, where the resto could possibly be reversed... obviously that's a special situation! And I wouldn't bid on a book like that b/c I wouldn't be confident (don't know enough about resto and how to reverse it)

So my own "formula" applies to more like , R-Extensive 5's, 6s and 7s.

I believe there is value in those books especially for GA mega keys... for instance Tec 31, not enough copies to go around. I would gladly acquire a nice Restored Tec 31!

In my point of view, the 'grade' of the Resto just doesn't matter much. I don't value an extensive restored 7.5 much more than a 6.0. Maybe 5-10% more or something. That's just me.

ASSUMING the resto book is not trimmed, I believe it has to be roughly valued to an unrestored 1.0 book? Or possibly a 1.5.

If it's restored and TRIMMED, then I might value it at 50% the value of a 1.0 unrestored book.

Other aspects of the restoration might matter more, or less (TRIMMING is the big one, for me).

But my point is, for an extensively restored book, I'm valuing it at 0.5x to 1.5x (roughly) of the same book in a 1.0 unrestored condition.

I don't think "30% to 50% of the same grade in unrestored" holds much water (not with me, anyway)...  and isn't what I've seen in the auctions lately for major GA books. 

Again, this is all just my PERSONAL formula and thoughts. I don't claim my formula tracks the market or other peoples thoughts on pricing. On the other hand, I do have skin in the game and "voted" with my hard earned dollars!

Also, as unrestored keys go up  do you think restored keys go up by same factors ?

Just my personal opinion....

I want a Tec 31, and pretty much the only books I could consider, due to price, would be a 1.0 unrestored or a restored book. If I limit myself to just unrestored books I'm either priced out of the market or I have to get lucky that a 1.0 goes on the market and at the right price.

So I don't really have a "choice" in a way... if I want to get in on this book, I almost have to widen my search to included Restored copies (but I draw the line at TRIMMING, I just personally don't like it...)

If enough other people share my philosophy, then "entry level" GA mega key books in future would appreciate roughly equally (whether very low grade unrestored, or higher grade restored)