• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Bernie Wrightson

16 posts in this topic

RIP Bernie Wrightson

Posted on his [url=

From Liz:

Austin, TX - 3-18-2017

Legendary comic book artist and illustrator Bernie Wrightson has lost his long battle with brain cancer. He is survived by his wife Liz, sons John and Jeffrey, stepson Thomas, and countless friends and fans. We will have a celebration of life for him later this year. His full obituary can be found here: www.berniewrightson.com 

Thank you for the many years of love and support! 

This sucks - We are starting to lose the second wave of great comic artists - we have lost two of the Studio artists already.

He left quite a great legacy of work - met him briefly at a few cons - very gracious gentleman.

Condolences to the family

Mark

My wife and I got to meet him at a convention in White Plains in the early 2000s. Just last week, we were telling a fellow collector about walking away from that meeting exclaming, "Wow! Berni Wrightson is just so... nice!"

His Frankenstein cover poster hung in my room as a teenager and into college. So I brought it along to have him sign it that day.

58ce356561be2_WrightsonFrankensteinprint.thumb.jpg.baacb786a3e785b8a85f39f91468f530.jpg

These prints from The Stand hang in our living room--

58ce34a0221c2_TheStandprint(2)(Medium).JPG.546d86f66c566d7fc98124b026bf8258.JPG58ce34a18238b_TheStandprint(Medium).JPG.8d9f941837853393d82974968e1f7b2c.JPG

He is my wife's absolute favorite artist. His art and creativity was such a huge influence on us both.

Our condolences go out to his family.

Edited by BCarter27

Bernie was and will remain one of my all-time favorites. It certainly doesn't hurt his legacy that he was such a nice and approachable person. Much like another of my art heroes, Ralph Steadman, his furious and frightening art belied a gentle soul.

My favorite of a handful of encounters with Bernie was a few years ago -- 2013, I believe -- at Comicpalooza. Artists' Alley was somewhat quite and I struck up a conversation with Bernie while nobody was in line at his table. I asked him what I always thought about asking him, but had not up to that point. The whole thing with the studio guys... four larger-than-life rock stars who were legends in their own times... begged the comparison to the Beatles. So, I asked him if the four of them had ever considered that and, if so, who was whom? His response was that they really didn't like the comparison because nobody wanted to be Ringo.

I respect that, but I still have my idea of who would be whom. Jeffrey Catherine would certainly have been George -- that was the clearest to me. But Bernie... I think Bernie was John... soft-spoken, approachable, brilliant. And like John, he's gone. Too early.

RIP, Bernie. You were one of my art heroes for the past 45 years, and you still will be for the next 45 years.