• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody Use these Shipping Boxes?

15 posts in this topic

Anybody Use these Shipping Boxes?

These comic book "flash mailers" are about 75 cents each -- wondering if anyone ever used them or would recommend them?  I have tons of comics to sell but don't want to spend the time cutting my own cardboard. 

Holds 1-12 books -- and for extra protection for valuable books will put box either in large bubble mailer or legal flat rate priority mail envelope. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Comic-Book-Flash-Mailers-Fits-Most-Comic-Sizes-TPBs-and-Manga-Digests-/221679958430?hash=item339d27b99e:g:cvYAAOSwrklVdoS1

Comic-Mailer-1.jpg

Just the box.  Its more than sturdy enough.  The cardboard is very dense and would easily withstand a decent gouge with a screwdriver.  Just be sure to secure the comic to the mailer with tape.  If you send multiple books secure them to one another then tape the stack to the mailer.  I use 2 inch blue painters tape.  It secures the books very well but is easier to remove.

Very helpful tips -- thank you.  This seems good for lower valued books that you don't need to ship priority mail. Love the blue painter's tape as I've used it for all my CGC submissions (as per their instructional video). 

51 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Just the box.  Its more than sturdy enough.  The cardboard is very dense and would easily withstand a decent gouge with a screwdriver.  Just be sure to secure the comic to the mailer with tape.  If you send multiple books secure them to one another then tape the stack to the mailer.  I use 2 inch blue painters tape.  It secures the books very well but is easier to remove.

Just received a JSC shipment and the entire box was slightly bent. Luckily it was shipped Priority and I was able to file a claim. I always ship those in a Priority Mailer. For anything not as expensive I go the traditional cardboard slab and envelope shipped First Class.

12 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Just received a JSC shipment and the entire box was slightly bent. Luckily it was shipped Priority and I was able to file a claim. I always ship those in a Priority Mailer. For anything not as expensive I go the traditional cardboard slab and envelope shipped First Class.

It must've been handled in a seriously rough way.  Because of the 90 degree support structures the mailers are much more rigid than being sandwiched between even two layers of cardboard.  But, there are always exceptions.  I received a priority box a couple of months ago that had a hole the size of a fist right through the center (double boxed too) then another that had been submerged in water for two weeks (according to a letter the usps saran wrapped to the pile of paper mache that was once the box).  You can also buy cardboard pieces made specifically for the mailers to sandwich books.    

Edited by comicquant

I've been using these for awhile now in a variety of ways.  I've used them in Priority Mail boxes and envelopes as well as just writing on the mailer with no problems.  My last order for them was in bulk, from Amazon I think, and I got them closer to 50¢ each.  

I wouldn't ship anything valuable in them unless you beefed them up with some interior cardboard.  The corners are wimpy and I've gotten several damaged and almost damage shipments in them.

Back in the day, when I had a N.I.C.E. subscription with Mile High, every month I would get about a dozen raw comics in a very similar mailer but it was probably a different brand. Highly recommend this kind of mailer for comics. Never got any comics with any damage in this kind of mailer. I should note that they would place all the raw comics inside a clear poly bag. Perhaps to protect the raw comics from dust or maybe moisture. So I would recommend that extra step if you can do it. 

Check your local area for a cardboard box company.  I have one here in York PA that charges 20 cents a box (3x9x12 or similar) and 5 cents for 9x12 flats.  If you sandwich the comics (no more than say 10) and then box that, it will likely never get damaged.  Wrap the comics and tape to the flats too so they don't slide around. 

Hello Everyone... my first post here and newer to mailing books.

Is there a concern of theft for these types of mailers? It's pretty obvious what they are and wondered if anyone could speak to this? I have been mailing books in mostly Priority boxes with the books in a well secured brick (extra cardboard, bags/boards, boards between books and cardboard and plenty of bubbles). Little extra work but I feel waaay more confident.

Thanks for the feedback!