• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prices realized at auction or private sales for SA books
1 1

113 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Based on that I guess we can indeed say that. Robin trumps Spidey for now yes. TEC38 is one heck of a important book!! Is Robin more popular than Spidey I do not think so.....I think the only superhero that even comes close in popularity is Batman. I also prefer Batman over Spidey always have and always will.

And so do many other key GA books again for now. Some will always trump it value point per point but it may pass a few over time. The GA has some awesome books and also rarity on it's side.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

But in all seriousness, I think if you take all the average prices of every book in the GA era, SA era, Bronze era, etc. up to modern age, you will see a top peak at the GA era gradually coming down in order from SA to BA to Copper and so forth.. I think between copper and modern you might be able to see more of the same leveling off.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

But in all seriousness, I think if you take all the average prices of every book in the GA era, SA era, Bronze era, etc. up to modern age, you will see a top peak at the GA era gradually coming down in order from SA to BA to Copper and so forth.. I think between copper and modern you might be able to see more of the same leveling off.

Right now and in the last year GA is hot hot hot.....no so much for SA....I would say only AF15. That is new for me I have never seen that usually a couple of SA keys are also doing well but not so much in the last year.

On 3/28/2017 at 7:15 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Right now and in the last year GA is hot hot hot.....no so much for SA....I would say only AF15. That is new for me I have never seen that usually a couple of SA keys are also doing well but not so much in the last year.

Did we not see this exact same market cycle back in the mid-90's when the GA market picked up the flaming red hot torch from the SA market, with the 2nd / 3rd tier publishers and the classic covers being the last to feel the burning heat before the flames went out and all markets went into an extended cooling period?

I believe the 2nd & 3rd tier publishers and the classic covers are pretty much the hottest part of the market and where we are about right now.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Did we not see this exact same market cycle back in the mid-90's when the GA market picked up the flaming red hot torch from the SA market, with the 2nd / 3rd tier publishers and the classic covers being the last to feel the burning heat before the flames went out and all markets went into an extended cooling period?

I believe the 2nd & 3rd tier publishers and the classic covers are pretty much the hottest part of the market and where we are about right now.  hm

Dean,dean...why be the voice of cyclical reasoning. Geesh. Party pooper lol

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The GA market had cooled off by the early/mid 2000's according to my recollection, where the SA/BA market had heated up again (there was a slight crossover). The roles seemed to reverse again somewhere about 2010 or so IIRC .

In 2010, 2011 you could still find GA keys and classic covers sitting around unsold.

Am I correct in my recollection?

Just now, jjfversion1 said:

How much does that make your X-Men 1 9.2 worth hm

I would not base myself on that wait and see what the next 9.2 sells for (plus this 9.4 has not even sold yet) and even then the PQ makes a big difference....white pages brings a premium.

25 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:
34 minutes ago, jjfversion1 said:

How much does that make your X-Men 1 9.2 worth hm

I would not base myself on that wait and see what the next 9.2 sells for (plus this 9.4 has not even sold yet) and even then the PQ makes a big difference....white pages brings a premium.

Now, now, are you trying to cause big time trouble here also.  (tsk)

You should know that totally unsupported and illogical comments like these is an open door invitation for Jaydog to also take over this thread here.  lol

Just now, lou_fine said:

Now, now, are you trying to cause big time trouble here also.  (tsk)

You should know that totally unsupported and illogical comments like these is an open door invitation for Jaydog to also take over this thread here.  lol

The thought did not even cross my mind I was stating that for the previous member that posted. I am not going to fight about PQ it's not a fight I want any part of......I know what I know about it and that's enough for me.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

1 hour ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

The thought did not even cross my mind I was stating that for the previous member that posted. I am not going to fight about PQ it's not a fight I want any part of......I know what I know about it and that's enough for me.

Yes you or anyone else do not want to argue about PQ with JayDog.  Shhhh, he seems to be sleeping or busy and probably has not seen the PQ quotes yet.  I suggest you delete them all now before he sees em or else....  Doom comes to us!

15 hours ago, VintageComics said:
On 3/29/2017 at 11:49 PM, lou_fine said:

The GA market had cooled off by the early/mid 2000's according to my recollection, where the SA/BA market had heated up again (there was a slight crossover). The roles seemed to reverse again somewhere about 2010 or so IIRC .

In 2010, 2011 you could still find GA keys and classic covers sitting around unsold.

Am I correct in my recollection?

No, I believe the bull market which you are referring to is the rather extended current one which we are in right now.

Had not really followed the market too closely back then, but if I remember correctly, didn't the BA/CA and CGC's highest gradest copies of what would otherwise be common books hit a peak around the 2007-2008 time period.  After a short pause for the financial crisis, I believe the market heated up again, with the hottest flames being focused on the SA market.  At this current stage, it looks like the hottest part of the flames (in general as there are always some exceptions) have moved onto the GA market since 2015.  At least that's my take on the current bull market, although I really haven't been following it that closely until the past year or so.  (shrug)

The bull market which I was referring to was probably prior to your times as a dealer and it was in the early to mid 90's and well before CGC was even a thought in anybody's head.  This one was of a much shorter time frame and probably started with the Marvel SA keys finally waking up from their decade long slumber in the very late 80's.  From there the new book market really heated up for a few short years with Wizard and Image creating a wild frenzy of rampant speculation which almost killed the entire new comic book market.  Through all of this fervor, the SA market (not sure about BA or CA then?) continued to move up significantly, with the GA market seemingly taking a back seat and just watching what was unfolding.  After about 5 years of SA heat and following the crash of the new comic book market, the GA boys decided to join the party around '94 or thereabouts.  Better late than never, I guess, as they seemingly took over the dance floor and pushed everybody to the sidelines.  Unfortunately, the old geezers just didn't have the legs and they could only keep it going for about 18 months to 2 years before it was the end of the night and the lights were turned off at the party for everybody.  :preach:  lol

But during that short 18 months to 2 years time period, the fire and heat was blazing red hot and burning with great ferocity.  This was time when big dealers were offering multiples of guide for pedigree GA books, basically sight unseen and more on pedigree reputation only.  I remember a dealer offering $10K at the time for a pedigree copy of All-Select 1 when the top of guide at the time was only around $2,200 or thereabouts, as he stated it would be an easy sale for him at $15K.  Further gas was poured onto this fire with the release of the Overstreet books by Diamond which fanned the flames as they were just starting to catch fire.  I remember Overstreet raising the price of Fox's Mystery Men 1 from $2,100 in guide all the way up to $8,500 in just one year, which is really saying something as we all know how slow old Bob moves when it comes to raising prices.  That sudden jump effectively killed the MM 1 book for years to come as it was no longer seen to be an undervalued book which I guess, is what collectors like to chase after in the marketplace.  I believe the party was already starting to wind down around the time that Bill's More Fun Collection arrived on the scene.  Definitely a short, but fun and exciting time there for awhile.  :whee:

The bull market party which we are in this time definitely seems to be longer lasting  and would appear to have more legs to it, but not sure how much longer it can last.  The other difference in terms of the GA at least, is that most of the fervor were with the high grades, whereas this time, the breadth of the fire seems to be more widespread as it has also engulfed the entry level copies and the lower grade copies, especially with respect to the GA keys and HTF classic covers.  (thumbsu

Interesting to note that the mid 90's was also the time that the much coveted early Fox books were finally made available in the marketplace, and it looks like they are going to be available once again in the next 2 CC auctions, after a more than 2 decade absence except for the small handful of scattered Fox books here and there in every auction.  Signs and portents of things to come, who really knows.  hm

Edited by lou_fine