• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another eBay scam?

62 posts in this topic

I emailed him to send me a scan of the back cover. Will that tell me anything? Or is it the inside of the front cover I should have asked for. Please advise. I am going to work this guy to find out for sure. On the surface, looks awfully fishy. mad.gif

Sent him an email suggesting that such an historical book as this and in such a sweet condition should be sent to CGC for grading. I told him that he had certainly hit a goldmine and that this could go as high as $500k. I also congratulated him on having a grandfather whose attic obviously was climate controlled and obviously had no butter. I will wait for a response.

I wouldn't jump and say it is a scam, but the comic is a reprint, it looks to be modern size and these is no way in hell that the page color would be in that good of shape after sitting in an attic for more than 10 years let alone 60......if the guy responds back letting you know what the inside cover states, then you'll know if he's trying to scam...that would be the find of the this century if it was legit....goes along with the disscusion about grannys attic in another post

I'm sick and tired of giving people like this "a break". This is a scam. Without knowing a single thing extra about this auction, I'll put up as much money as anyone wants to bet me that this auction is a fraud. Any takers?

He's a new eBayer (since January, 2003)......he's got a feedback rating of ONE.......and trust me......he has VERY CAREFULLY worded every single syllable in his auction........INCLUDING the title.

He mistakenly lists it in the title as Superman #1 so that people will think he's just comic "stupid" and easy to take advantage of. He knows that collectors would still foam at the mouth for a Superman #1 and will view the auction and be sucked in.

He uses the old "grandpa's attic" story to lend some credibility to this amazing find.

And he stress that he knows VERY little about comics in an attempt to cleanse himself of any responsibility after he rips you off.

Not to mention the fact that he lists a throw-away email in his auction listing.

And yes......the pages are in amazing shape for a 60+ year old book that has been stored in an attic.

Besides......if the auction were real......I'd personally drive up to Canada and beat the [!@#%^&^] out of him for laying the book open like that to take a picture of the pages. mad.gif

This guy is not content with just scamming people into buying a reprint. He also has to keyword spam with the words 'Batman' and 'Spider-Man' in the auction title.

Very clever for someone who knows nothing about comics/Ebay. mad.gif