• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder-con 2017 Goldenage pics please

57 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

Wonder con has grown 1/3 greater than last year at LA...this is gonna be the real "old SDCC" what I liked was more comic book dealers....it still felt comic book related compared to SDCC which is a dog and pony show. More real too...great show...going forward if any board members have any "doubt" you should come next year...you won't be sorry.

Which one?

The 1974 El Cortez Hotel version or the 1986 SD Performing arts version or maybe the  pre expansion of the new convention center in 1997?

Many faces I've come to see over the years at SDCC...

Edited by N e r V

15 hours ago, N e r V said:

Which one?

The 1974 El Cortez Hotel version or the 1986 SD Performing arts version or maybe the  pre expansion of the new convention center in 1997?

Many faces I've come to see over the years at SDCC...

I have been to all of them...El Cortez was my favorite by far...real collectors..amazing, however Wonder con took a break for OC and went to LA...when it came back this year, its 1/3 bigger than it was when it left, There still is some room left to grow...so I think this is gonna turn into the real Calif con...with SDCC slowly kicking out comic book dealers over time,  except  if the expansion of the convention center takes place.....which is gonna be voted on soon.

Edited by Mmehdy

I didn't notice any more comic dealers than there were last time. Still, a pretty good showing. What is missing are a lot of out of state dealers. There were a few. Bedrock, High Grade Comics (sadly nothing I needed), and Greg Reese (not my kind of books) but that was about it. I heard a lot of grumbling about booth prices going up. But the buyers were in attendence, unlike SDCC where it is impossible to get in. I guess it depends what kind of show you want. I spent 90% of my time in hall A and was able to cover it well in a day or a day in a half and I "box dive".  Could be better but I am grateful to have it local. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

And Mitch, you said yourself, you bought reprint books. I could get those anywhere, I don't have to fight the masses to get those...

This show, to me feels more connected and intimate from comic book collectors standpoint...less side show....now that is comparing it the SDCC 2016 and up coming 2017....not the ideal comic book convention  but just looking at the attendance it was at least 1/3 greater than LA which was a smaller venue. As far as quality material..SDCC is by far a better show overall, but this is coming up in the world, especially when the new parking garage comes in next year.

Edited by Mmehdy

Both SDCC and WonderCon are now freakshows. Nothing even close to what the original promoters had in mind. The reason the attendence is up is because people can't get into the freakshow down south any more. Three years ago was my last probably, and I have attended every one from the 3rd one. Also, it wasn't on Easter weekend which made LA take the hit. There was plenty of quality material at WonderCon but you were buying reprint books. I suspect there is slightly more "quality" material ie expensive books at SDCC but they won't let me in to see any more. And frankly, it ain't worth the hassle and expense.

You want an "intimate" show with quality material? Travel up end of January to Terry O'Neils show. There was even an Action #1 there last time.

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Both SDCC and WonderCon are now freakshows. Nothing even close to what the original promoters had in mind. The reason the attendence is up is because people can't get into the freakshow down south any more. Three years ago was my last probably, and I have attended every one from the 3rd one. Also, it wasn't on Easter weekend which made LA take the hit. There was plenty of quality material at WonderCon but you were buying reprint books. I suspect there is slightly more "quality" material ie expensive books at SDCC but they won't let me in to see any more. And frankly, it ain't worth the hassle and expense.

You want an "intimate" show with quality material? Travel up end of January to Terry O'Neils show. There was even an Action #1 there last time.

New York has become the same way no longer about comics and more cosplay and who can be more freaky :insane:

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I didn't notice any more comic dealers than there were last time. Still, a pretty good showing. What is missing are a lot of out of state dealers. There were a few. Bedrock, High Grade Comics (sadly nothing I needed), and Greg Reese (not my kind of books) but that was about it. I heard a lot of grumbling about booth prices going up. But the buyers were in attendence, unlike SDCC where it is impossible to get in. I guess it depends what kind of show you want. I spent 90% of my time in hall A and was able to cover it well in a day or a day in a half and I "box dive".  Could be better but I am grateful to have it local. 

Definitely a time commitment for both dealers and fans to come from the northeast to California for a show.  Lose most of two days traveling.  Then, for dealers, there's the expense of shipping their books that far.  Although that angle never seems to bother Harley! 

13 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Definitely a time commitment for both dealers and fans to come from the northeast to California for a show.  Lose most of two days traveling.  Then, for dealers, there's the expense of shipping their books that far.  Although that angle never seems to bother Harley! 

Harley keeps a west coast and east coast inv. He only has to ship himself

Just now, G.A.tor said:
14 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Is that right?  I never knew that.  But I think he must bring his wall books with him.  Someone mentioned the Action 58 he had for sale, and I saw that book last month at his booth at the Big Apple Con. 

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Is that right?  I never knew that.  But I think he must bring his wall books with him.  Someone mentioned the Action 58 he had for sale, and I saw that book last month at his booth at the Big Apple Con. 

Yes. The big stuff. But the bulk he has multiple inventories of

58 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Harley is always one of my highlights at SDCC. I always pick up something from him I want. Probably one of the most interesting dealers in the business with his traveling road show.

Great guy.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Both are presented by the same people so it's no wonder that Wondercon feels San Diego Con like in many ways.

Eh, I'm interested in old comics but also a lot of other things so it's not so much a freak show to me. The large crowds at any event always sucks though. I do miss having my old dealer passes at times.

I only live a 30 minute drive from downtown San Diego but I do feel for vistors. The city is already in the top spots for tourists in the country and having a big event like Comic Con only makes matters worse.

Bought two G. A. 's : Superman 72 and Detective 173. Both from Graham Crackers Comics. I bought other comics, mostly S. A. And Bronze  from Torpedo Comics, High Grade Comics, Greg Reece comics, Harley Yee, and Bedrock City comics. Graham Crackers had a lot of low grade DC's. Wish I would've bought a few more. The dealers who I dealt with were very friendly and made my buying experiences very pleasant. A shout out to Bedrock for our nice little conversation. and to Rob and Steve of Torpedo Comics who have been really cool both times I've dealt with them the last two Wondercons. Buying a backpack with a built-in seat for my wife was a godsend for both her and me. ED837C51-B3C5-4990-AF00-ACE96FF80EB4.thumb.jpg.8bb2a034a3f89e1b48c55af79e51e020.jpg

Edited by brer247