• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Falling Sales
6 6

1,203 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2017 at 3:55 AM, chrisco37 said:

Jumping back a few pages to this above post, I'll give you my perspective on this...

As you mentioned, a good number of readers have dropped the monthlies and read "new" stuff via TPB.  I'm one of those types of readers.  Years ago, I used to have probably 15+/- titles on my pull list.   I'm down to 2 (Goon and DK3 - one is limited series and the other is published a few times a year). 

I still like reading new stuff, but don't like the price per issue or the hassle of bagging/boarding this stuff every month.   I prefer the trade.  For the most part, you get a story arc in one spot without the hassle.   So, I'm always on the hunt for "good stories".  

Marvel TPB's, in general, seem to be priced much higher than the DC or Image.   Image TPB's are $9.99 (for the Vol 1 trade) and then something like $14.99 afterward.   DC's are similarly priced (maybe $16.99 for Batman, their premier character).    A buddy of mine told me that "Unworthy Thor" was really good and I should check it out.   The trade for that was either $19.99 or $24.99.    I'm not paying essentially the same price for a collected issue as you would for the individuals.   The trades should be cheaper. 

And the strange part is Marvel tries to justify their higher price because they were late to the trade paperback market.  But that was what, 10 years ago?  Seems to me that the excuse they use shouldn't apply anymore.

Truth is, Marvel keeps prices high because they can.  Look at Amazing Spider-Man #25.  A $9.99 cover price and it was the top selling book in March.  What lesson do you think Marvel learned from this?  Expect more $9.99 cover prices from Marvel.  One of their business people even said a few years back they will keep raising prices until there is resistance.

21 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Once again we go back to Joe Q as being a good editor in chief . Marvel was pretty good with him in charge.

Basically Marvel's downfall started in January 2011 when Axel Alonso became editor in chief of Marvel Comics.

In sports if the coach or manager does a mediocre or bad job they replace them.

Joe Q. was a good editor in chief?  :roflmao: We are talking about the NuMarvel era (that is what is was dubbed) and it drove off many long time readers.  Joe Q. actually got me to quit reading Marvel Comics after having collected them for 25 years prior.

This was the era that started:

1) Decompressed story telling

2) Constant (yearly) events

3) Constant reboots

4) Disappearance of thought balloons and footnotes.

And it was also the era where the established personalities of many characters were thrown out the window.  Hip young Submariner and Human Torch with horrible art.  Spider-man marriage magically went away.  Many long time Avenger characters were "disassembled".  Aunt May was a hip teenager.  Joe Q. is the reason that Marvel is in the shape it is right now and why many long time readers bash modern comics.

2 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Joe Q. was a good editor in chief?  :roflmao: We are talking about the NuMarvel era (that is what is was dubbed) and it drove off many long time readers.  Joe Q. actually got me to quit reading Marvel Comics after having collected them for 25 years prior.

This was the era that started:

1) Decompressed story telling

2) Constant (yearly) events

3) Constant reboots

4) Disappearance of thought balloons and footnotes.

And it was also the era where the established personalities of many characters were thrown out the window.  Hip young Submariner and Human Torch with horrible art.  Spider-man marriage magically went away.  Many long time Avenger characters were "disassembled".  Aunt May was a hip teenager.  Joe Q. is the reason that Marvel is in the shape it is right now and why many long time readers bash modern comics.

Don't forget also doing things such as cancelling titles that were making money over personal vendettas and lying about the reasons. I also recall the "classic" incident where Q and Jemas arm wrestled over whether a particular writer would be fired from the company. Don't forget it was during the Q era where they started doing "iconic only" covers as opposed to covers that told any of the story inside. So many things that turned me off as a fan ?

5 hours ago, rjrjr said:
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, fastballspecial said:

I always thought Marvel should/could change their titles for say 6 months and just focus on the villains. New stories, fresh looks at villains never looked at before and an approach that hasn't been done since say Acts of Vengeance. They have the established base to do it with. They don't have to alienate fans because they all know the villains and Spider-man can be on vacation for a few months. What have they got to lose. They can try it with a couple of titles and branch it out. Ive enjoyed villain stories over the years. Think of how many you could tell from the Avengers, FF and Spider-man.

So the answer to fans not getting their preferred heroes is to publish books about just villains?

Nah, my point is take the books like FF, Avengers, Spider-man and X-men and do a few months of a villain storyline. Its something Marvel has rarely done. Maybe do a sort of Thunderbolts or Acts of Vengeance. Let the heroes take the back seat for a few months. Let them show up, but they are not the main story. Long time fans would eat it up I think and it might even bring in some new readers. Do it for a few months then let the heroes come back in. I think it world work great with the right writers.

Edited by fastballspecial
Adding to it

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Good idea books centered on the great Marvel villains !

It's about time that Stilt-Man and The Big Wheel got the recognition they've always deserved. 

8 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

It's about time that Stilt-Man and The Big Wheel got the recognition they've always deserved. 

I've always wondered what hydroman does all day

3 hours ago, revat said:

I've always wondered what hydroman does all day

Spokesperson for some overpriced mineral water corporation, or Gatorade or Vitamin Water, or Marvel's equivalent.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Acts of Vengeance was literally what got me started collected comic books.

_Such_ a cool story idea to just switch the villains up 'cuz the heroes would be unprepared.

• Punisher vs. The Reavers.
  • Dr. Strange vs. The Enchantress
  • Super-powered Spidey vs. Magneto (and Grey Hulk)
  • Super-powered Spidey vs. Grey Hulk (by McFarlane)
  • X-Men vs. The Mandarin
  • Thor vs. The Juggernaut
  • Wolverine vs. Tiger Shark
  • Daredevil vs. Ultron

And the series had a few lasting impacts, like:

• Psylocke turns from British to Asian ninja assassin.
  • First appearance of The New Warriors.
  • Liefeld starts on The New Mutants.

Interesting...

At the Diamond Summit here at C2E2, DC Comics gave their presentation and talked about how they saw a need with Rebirth to bring back aspects of the characters and stories that the fans wanted - which is why it's been such a success. I kept waiting for someone HERE to say the same thing, as in "Why doesn't Marvel do, what DC has done with Rebirth..." or something along those lines. 

But nothing.

Does anyone here complaining about the state of Marvel Comics today even GO to the LCS or follow what's actually been going on in comics today?

Rebirth HAS been a huge success for DC and that's exactly what fans have been telling me about it in store....

Anyway, they also made a big deal about how everything now in comics was geared towards the writer, and they wanted to even more get back to basics where the artist has a say so in the creation process... long story short:

They want to use what we know as 'the Marvel Method', while utilizing qualified experienced story telling artists to bring back good comics.

Of course this kicks off with some new comic series, including a retiming of Snyder/Capullo on a Batman book....

IMG_5996.JPG

Edited by Chuck Gower

nowadays writers are more interested in being 'clever' than giving readers their money's worth.  Sometimes they go full clever and do a book with no words.  Like one issue of Hawkeye by Fraction.  Took 30 sec to 'read' that one....

27 minutes ago, kav said:

nowadays writers are more interested in being 'clever' than giving readers their money's worth.  Sometimes they go full clever and do a book with no words.  Like one issue of Hawkeye by Fraction.  Took 30 sec to 'read' that one....

Is that the one starring Hawkeye's dog, with pictures to show what it was thinking about? 

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

Is that the one starring Hawkeye's dog, with pictures to show what it was thinking about? 

yup

1 hour ago, kav said:

One thing that might help is books that take longer than 5 minutes to read.  When you read a SA book-you got to READ.

I'm a huge EC fan because of their great stories and art, but also you got your money's worth of Leroy-lettered text, especially if it was written by Al Feldstein.