• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Production Creases and color rubs

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I collected heavily in the 80's, and it seems as if many of them have production creases/folds.  As a CGC grader, how much will detract it from the comic if otherwise a 9.6 or 9.8?   Also, I have a series of french comics from the '70s, all have the same pattern color rub on the back cover.  (The front cover is mostly blue, it looks like the front cover's ink migrated to the back covers either in production or storage leaving a slight blue stain) Thanks,

Nate

Edited by NCAmother

16 hours ago, NCAmother said:

Hi, I collected heavily in the 80's, and it seems as if many of them have production creases/folds.  As a CGC grader, how much will detract it from the comic if otherwise a 9.6 or 9.8?   Also, I have a series of french comics from the '70s, all have the same pattern color rub on the back cover.  (The front cover is mostly blue, it looks like the front cover's ink migrated to the back covers either in production or storage leaving a slight blue stain) Thanks,

Nate

A production crease usually does not affect the grade up to 9.6.  If the majority of the print run has the same crease you can get a 9.8.  Color rubs, however, are treated as defects and will get you a deduction.  An otherwise 9.6-9.8 book would likely come back 9.0, maybe lower depending on how bad it is.

7 minutes ago, feder241 said:

Does anyone know how well a cleaning can remove color rub? Or is it basically YMMV? Thanks.

What is this 'YMMV' of which you speak? 

6 hours ago, feder241 said:

Does anyone know how well a cleaning can remove color rub? Or is it basically YMMV? Thanks.

A color rub is a loss of color. How can a cleaning possibly replace a loss of color ? If anything, an overzealous cleaning can cause a color rub. I don't think you mean a color rub, sounds like a color bleed

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

A color rub is a loss of color. How can a cleaning possibly replace a loss of color ? If anything, an overzealous cleaning can cause a color rub. I don't think you mean a color rub, sounds like a color bleed

Maybe I am referring to color bleed. I'm referring to when books are stacked together and the color of the front cover on the book behind rubs onto the back cover of the book in front of it. Many of my books have the back cover where there's a white border where the color rubbed onto. Is this called color bleed?