• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will CGC Slab Anything?

38 posts in this topic

@Captain Canuck

I called for us:

They will only grade it if it is witnessed but if it was witnessed an 8.5 X 11 would be gradable

Because ours is not witnessed they will not grade it at all including the letter you have.

It would be a NG- "No Grade" but would become "gradable" ONLY IF WITNESSED and if within a standard size and "8.5 X 11" would work

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Captain Canuck

I called for us:

They will only grade it if it is witnessed but if it was witnessed an 8.5 X 11 would be gradable

Because ours is not witnessed they will not grade it at all including the letter you have.

Even if it got a yellow label it would be a NG- "No Grade" but would become "gradable" if within a standard size and "8.5 X 11" would work ONLY IF WITNESSED

So if I took the Swamp Thing page 1 -script and proceeded to also get it signed by a comic artist, while witnessed by CGC, then they will slab it. Thanks. Works for me. 

14 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

So if I took the Swamp Thing page 1 -----script and proceeded to also get it signed by a comic artist, while witnessed by CGC, then they will slab it. Thanks. Works for me. 

I would assume your right, but don't want to assume responsibility if otherwise, I'm sure if it is 8 X 11 ----script page, then that makes since it would be gradable with a witnessed signature from what CGC told me, of course, when your setting up to get it signed you should be able to find that out to double check:) I'm glad it may work out for you. No Worries. I'm up a creek on mine. It is nice to know that we can have original art recognized as such with a yellow label. I would not have thought to do that but knew that I had seen it done, while I could not find any current examples on ebay. CGC didn't go into specifics on size of sketch/paper/cardstock; I would assume that sketches done at con's or elsewhere would be able to be done in a size that would be gradable. That is something else I would need to find out in the future for myself at con's.

Knowledge is power lol and Knowing is half the battle---Go Joe !!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

35 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I would assume your right, but don't want to assume responsibility if otherwise, I'm sure if it is 8 X 11 -----script page, then that makes since it would be gradable with a witnessed signature from what CGC told me, of course, when your setting up to get it signed you should be able to find that out to double check:) I'm glad it may work out for you. No Worries. I'm up a creek on mine. It is nice to know that we can have original art recognized as such with a yellow label. I would not have thought to do that but knew that I had seen it done, while I could not find any current examples on ebay. CGC didn't go into specifics on size of sketch/paper/cardstock; I would assume that sketches done at con's or elsewhere would be able to be done in a size that would be gradable. That is something else I would need to find out in the future for myself at con's.

Knowledge is power lol and Knowing is half the battle---Go Joe !!

Just managed to get a minute to speak to CGC and they said, unless they witnessed anything like that being created it will not be eligible for slabbing, as they don't have a slab for that. So nothing preexisting. I.e. No scripts, letters, old sketches, ... Voldemort said they may do it. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

Just managed to get a minute to speak to CGC and they said, unless they witnessed anything like that being created it will not be eligible for slabbing, as they don't have a slab for that. So nothing preexisting. I.e. No scripts, letters, old sketches, ... Voldemort said they may do it. 

That's what I was trying to express, but I thought if you got something added to it ie sig, extra character added, then it would become witnessed. Is that not true? well that makes a difference....

I can in the future get a CGC'd sketch that is not a comic though (right?)as long as it is witnessed. It's just what's the difference in doing that and getting a comic cover sketch. I don't know the only way I see this becoming productive is 1) if you don't want it ruining a cover ie blank/or other and 2) it was a full on comission on smaller paper...

Did they discuss sizes? that may seem silly but I don't know what size a full on comission comes in, and I'm sure there is no real way to answer ie every artist may be different

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

weird I just noticed that you can share a post on facebook and a bunch of other social media, why?

Because the entire world is dying to know what your thoughts on getting your shoes slabbed would be like

5 minutes ago, MetalPSI™ said:

Because the entire world is dying to know what your thoughts on getting your shoes slabbed would be like

You have no idea how much money this would make.

If a company could come up with a way to encapsulate shoes and verify fakes they would be printing money.

3 minutes ago, Comicbookscalping said:

You have no idea how much money this would make.

If a company could come up with a way to encapsulate shoes and verify fakes they would be printing money.

I know Buzzetta would be on the ground floor for this. It's damned peculiar to say the least

39 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's what I was trying to express, but I thought if you got something added to it ie sig, extra character added, then it would become witnessed. Is that not true? well that makes a difference....

I can in the future get a CGC'd sketch that is not a comic though (right?)as long as it is witnessed. It's just what's the difference in doing that and getting a comic cover sketch. I don't know the only way I see this becoming productive is 1) if you don't want it ruining a cover ie blank/or other and 2) it was a full on comission on smaller paper...

Did they discuss sizes? that may seem silly but I don't know what size a full on comission comes in, and I'm sure there is no real way to answer ie every artist may be different

They said no to everything. Only if it is on a comic or sketch cover can it be encapsulated after the fact with a green label. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

They said no to everything. Only if it is on a comic or sketch cover can it be encapsulated after the fact with a green label. 

well snap

2 hours ago, MetalPSI™ said:

Yeah, I don't know that series. What about the BWS Weapon X collection? Is that considered TPB? It's too thick to be slabbed, but collects MCP into a single book. Which is what Bloodhungry is as well.

In general, whenever a series or a run is collected into a volume, for example Dark Knight 1-4, it's called a TPB. When it's an original story in a squarebound format, it's not a TPB.

Obviously, some people consider both to be TPB. However, when the prestige squarebound format was first used in the 80s, those comics were never referred to as TPBs at that time. 

Edited by Likefro

36 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

well snap

Just thinking. If you take your item and attach it to the cover of a blank comic, I assume then they will give it a green label or with a witnessed sig or sketch, yellow green label. 

41 minutes ago, Likefro said:

In general, whenever a series or a run is collected into a volume, for example Dark Knight 1-4, it's called a TPB. When it's an original story in a squarebound format, it's not a TPB.

Obviously, some people consider both to be TPB. However, when the prestige squarebound format was first used in the 80s, those comics were never referred to as TPBs at that time. 

So what you're saying is that my question was valid. Bloodhungry is a trade paperback. So perhaps a better way to explain it is that they will slab TPB's depending on depth of size?

3 hours ago, MetalPSI™ said:

So what you're saying is that my question was valid. Bloodhungry is a trade paperback. So perhaps a better way to explain it is that they will slab TPB's depending on depth of size?

Your book is considered a prestige format/squarebound book - similar to Dark Knight 1-4, the first Black Orchid series, the Batman/Judge Dredd crossover from the early 90s, the Nick Fury vs Shield series, and a stack of other books from that time period.

There's a good discussion & list here:

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/23798/Marvel-Graphic-Novels-Epic-GN-Prestige-format

8 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

Here are 2 examples:

8.5x11 print signed by Capullo:

IMG_6792.thumb.PNG.73f5af0a08edebda4f01c48f53ff5e59.PNG

Will they slab this?

Page 1 of a Swamp Thing ---script signed by Allan Moore (8.5x11):IMG_6793.thumb.PNG.573948c27aee11b2448d26350fcc7aa0.PNG

If they were both the size of a comic backing board will they slab it then with the NG status?

Will they slab and what is the max size they can be?

any chance you can share the second page of that -script?

20 hours ago, mschmidt said:

Your book is considered a prestige format/squarebound book - similar to Dark Knight 1-4, the first Black Orchid series, the Batman/Judge Dredd crossover from the early 90s, the Nick Fury vs Shield series, and a stack of other books from that time period.

There's a good discussion & list here:

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/23798/Marvel-Graphic-Novels-Epic-GN-Prestige-format

Ah, so it's based on how it's physically presented? Since it has a hardcover vs soft?