• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Are Your Deal Breakers in GA Books Defects?
1 1

63 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Yeah. I had a Spirit 22 one time that probably could have taken down my house. 

I saw someone on YouTube talking about freezing the book to get rid of the mold.  (shrug)

I remember that one Rick. Yeah pretty knarly. Mold and rat chews are just nasty.   

26 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I remember that one Rick. Yeah pretty knarly. Mold and rat chews are just nasty.   

I would add those to my list as well. Cat pee, insect damage, whatever is beyond the scope of "normal" wear for a comic. 

6 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Yes umm, us poor folks have to deal with them unlike you snooty high society types. 

We gets yours table scraps...O.o

On the flip side, I would have kept a ton more books if I wasn't so damn picky.

16 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I would add those to my list as well. Cat pee, insect damage, whatever is beyond the scope of "normal" wear for a comic. 

for some sick reason i've always wanted a Church cat pee book.

But I don't want it to be surprise cat pee.Urine must be disclosed.

Edited by porcupine48

I steer clear of rat chews (eew), brittle pages, pages missing, pieces missing, funny animal books, western books, and definitely funny western animal books. I've learned to live with tape and split spines. Depending on the book, I could probably learn to live with many of the aforementioned defects. But not rat chews, no sirree.

12 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

I steer clear of rat chews (eew), brittle pages, pages missing, pieces missing, funny animal books, western books, and definitely funny western animal books. I've learned to live with tape and split spines. Depending on the book, I could probably learn to live with many of the aforementioned defects. But not rat chews, no sirree.

I was thinking you should try a "funny" western from Black Cat Mystery #47 before you pass judgement.

BlackCat47-002.jpg

Edited by N e r V

5 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I was thinking you should try a "funny" western from Black Cat Mystery #47 before you pass judgement.

BlackCat47-002.jpg

That's a great splash page! Like my begrudging acceptance of detached covers and spine splits, maybe I'll come around to the funny westerns. But of course I would never turn away a Black Cat Mystery, regardless of its contents!

1 minute ago, Zolnerowich said:

That's a great splash page! Like my begrudging acceptance of detached covers and spine splits, maybe I'll come around to the funny westerns. But of course I would never turn away a Black Cat Mystery, regardless of its contents!

Read the whole story here:

http://westerncomicsadventures.blogspot.com/2011_08_01_archive.html?m=1

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Defects

They're the worst! :ohnoez:

5 hours ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Rusty staples and I do not like any type of writing on the front cover especially a persons name.

I guess this would depend on whose name is written on the front cover.

I would prefer no writing on the front cover (or anywhere else), however, I have purchased a number of books where people have written their names on the cover.  I would rather a person's name than some child's scribbling on the cover.  Perhaps this is because my father once told me that when he was a child, he would write his name on the comics he read.  I believe this was because he traded comics with the other children in the neighborhood and it helped him remember which ones he had already read.  I would love to some day find a book with his name written on it.

As for other names being written on the book (other than some previous owner), I tend to avoid those books.   This may be sacrilege here on the boards, however, I find books with artist or creator's signatures on them to be a real "turn off".  I remember looking at a Daredevil #1 for sale here on the boards one day.  I was happy with the book and price, but could not get over the big black signature of "Stan Lee" sprawled on the cover.  Deal Breaker!  This is nothing against Stan  (a legend to be sure).  I would rather a book some kid signed his name on, back in the early 40s (which is kind of nostalgic), than a book Stan Lee signed his name across last week (like the million other books he has signed).  If I had to buy a book signed by an artist or creator, than I would rather it be signed on the first page and NOT on the cover.  I am probably in the minority here, but that is one of the things that make collecting fun; everyone has different things they like and dislike and yet we can all enjoy the hobby together.

13 hours ago, Straw-Man said:
14 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

How do you guys feel about tape ?

it's a sticky subject.

You're the glue that holds this board together. 

19 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

How do you guys feel about tape ?

I'm ok with a stray piece, but a completely taped spine gives me a long pause.  I guess with all these things, it depends on the rarity of the book and on how long I've been searching for a copy. 

Edited by Sqeggs

I'll pay poor price for a comic with complete spine split, but wouldn't pay for a partial spine split, because even careful handling will see it worsen.  Same goes for a pulled staple, or cover loose at the staples.  To me, it's already detached. 

I've yet to be faced with a book I need that has missing pieces or pages.  If I can afford another copy, I'd pass.  CGC's conditional grades still make me very angry... if you're paying VG price for a pretty looking Poor, remember the book is still Poor, no matter what the phony label says.

I don't care for rust, but it grows very slowly in proper storage conditions.  Staples can be black, just not red.  No migration into the paper.