• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Are Your Deal Breakers in GA Books Defects?
1 1

63 posts in this topic

A name written on the cover, as long as not super intrusive, never bothered me.  In fact, it gives me a little sense of nostalgia.  I have had many book from someone who did a simple cursive "a" usually in the upper left. I don't know whose collection that is but there are a bunch of atomic age books out there with it and it never bothered me at all. 

Each person has their own issues.  

16 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

for some sick reason i've always wanted a Church cat pee book.

But I don't want it to be surprise cat pee.Urine must be disclosed.

At one time I had a few Mile High Chesslers with cat pee that I got from John McGaughlin. Couldn't figure out why until I noticed the piles oh Mile High books sitting unbagged on his floor. He had cats running all over the place.

He and Burrell Rowe didn't take very good care of their Mile Highs...

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

At one time I had a few Mile High Chesslers with cat pee that I got from John McGaughlin. Couldn't figure out why until I noticed the piles oh Mile High books sitting unbagged on his floor. He had cats running all over the place.

He and Burrell Rowe didn't take very good care of their Mile Highs...

I believe I first heard the cat pee story from you!

15 hours ago, Hudson said:

I guess this would depend on whose name is written on the front cover.

I would prefer no writing on the front cover (or anywhere else), however, I have purchased a number of books where people have written their names on the cover.  I would rather a person's name than some child's scribbling on the cover.  Perhaps this is because my father once told me that when he was a child, he would write his name on the comics he read.  I believe this was because he traded comics with the other children in the neighborhood and it helped him remember which ones he had already read.  I would love to some day find a book with his name written on it.

As for other names being written on the book (other than some previous owner), I tend to avoid those books.   This may be sacrilege here on the boards, however, I find books with artist or creator's signatures on them to be a real "turn off".  I remember looking at a Daredevil #1 for sale here on the boards one day.  I was happy with the book and price, but could not get over the big black signature of "Stan Lee" sprawled on the cover.  Deal Breaker!  This is nothing against Stan  (a legend to be sure).  I would rather a book some kid signed his name on, back in the early 40s (which is kind of nostalgic), than a book Stan Lee signed his name across last week (like the million other books he has signed).  If I had to buy a book signed by an artist or creator, than I would rather it be signed on the first page and NOT on the cover.  I am probably in the minority here, but that is one of the things that make collecting fun; everyone has different things they like and dislike and yet we can all enjoy the hobby together.

That is just me I am sure many don't care but my eye can't stop looking at it and it drives me nuts. As for a creator's signature I simply don't understand that market but again some people enjoy it so.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

7 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

A name written on the cover, as long as not super intrusive, never bothered me.  In fact, it gives me a little sense of nostalgia.  I have had many book from someone who did a simple cursive "a" usually in the upper left. I don't know whose collection that is but there are a bunch of atomic age books out there with it and it never bothered me at all. 

A name written on a book isn't a deal breaker for me, but I think CGC goes too easy on that defect, so I probably won't be buying any slabbed examples any time soon. I remember seeing a Marvel Mystery in the last CLink auction that was graded 9.0 even though it had a name written fairly obtrusively across the cover. For me, even calling that book a VF would be a stretch, let alone VF/NM.

This will not be a popular opinion, but I think that even pedigree books with writing on the cover (Larsons, Okajimas) or name stamps (SFs) should be downgraded.

12 hours ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

That is just me I am sure many don't care but my eye can't stop looking at it and it drives me nuts. As for a creator's signature I simply don't understand that market but again some people enjoy it so.

I don't mind a creator's sig on a book. As a matter of fact I have many from back in the day. Lots that have passed on. Glad I did it and enjoyed the experience. I almost always have them in ball point pen at the bottom of the splash page they worked on. Only once did I have a cover sig. I got a Superman creator to sign the front cover of a Supe #9. I was young and excited and it was a big yellow cover. Really don't mind it at all now.

an intrusive name written on the cover, brittle pages, heavy rusty staples, severe mis cut, any sort of designated resto all deal breakers.

spine splits and little tape never hurt anyone, i love me a good clean split spine in fact.

its interesting to me how tape was probably on everyones list a few years ago but now as prices are sky high for many pre-1941 books particularly hero books, its clearly not as big of a concern looking at the replies.  can't get a key pre-robin even with tape for under 5 figures any longer.

I've always hated the sigs on the cover (well most of the time). I've seen a ton of SA books with their covers having those nice big Stan Lee sigs over the image. Hate it! Only do I accept it if the cover has a nice out of the way space that works and not a over the top signature in size. I've got a lot of books signed for years at SDCC by Lee, Kirby, Steranko, Adams, etc. and always made a point of getting them to sign the first page inside or in a cover space I selected for them to sign. Yes there were a few artists that got away with going big over something I wished they hadn't but I did my part at controlling their signings. Most were fine following directions.

I'm one of those people that think signing "Stan Lee" over Spider-Man on a AF #15 actually hurts the book. I'd probably follow that rule with any kids signing their books too although as mentioned it does add to the history and kids didn't know any better they were just marking their territory. Also in the case with something like Larson it really is tied to being part of that collection and know a certain amount of joy is taken by collectors with just seeing his name on your book and owning part of that/his history. 

When I was younger any writing, grease pencil marks, date stamps would bug the hell out of me. These days I take it in stride unless it's literally scribbles all over the cover. I can't stand heavy distributer ink though.

Brittle pages or anything missing is usually a deal breaker for me. However, if it's a comic that I might never get a shot at another copy, I would consider it. 

interesting thread.  I'm not a fan of books with 3 hole punches, I just don't like the look of it.  I picked up a 3.0 blue label marvel mystery comics with the hole punches and it's a bit of head fake because it looks like a 7.0 until you notice the holes.  

I'm not as concerned with brittle pages if I really like the book and it's been slabbed.  I'm not clear how brittle pages could diminish the structural integrity of the book over time, maybe I don't understand how this is such a culprit.  Looks like those cave drawings in France last longer than books anyhow.

On 4/8/2017 at 11:34 PM, Zolnerowich said:

I steer clear of ... funny animal books, western books, and definitely funny western animal books.

cowboysninjuns7.jpg

advmm18.jpg

redrabbit1.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:34 AM, Zolnerowich said:

I steer clear of rat chews (eew), brittle pages, pages missing, pieces missing, funny animal books, western books, and definitely funny western animal books. I've learned to live with tape and split spines. Depending on the book, I could probably learn to live with many of the aforementioned defects. But not rat chews, no sirree.

DD Sheriff (2).JPG

Edited by Hudson
Put quote in bold

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

cowboysninjuns7.jpg

advmm18.jpg

redrabbit1.jpg

I LOVE IT!!! Seems that no sub-genre has gone untouched. So Richard, new challenge: if you can post a **sci-fi funny-animal horror western romance** cover, I'll buy one of your books at C2E2 (though not of the sci-fi funny-animal horror western romance kind) at C2E2. Or buy you a top-shelf whiskey...

On April 10, 2017 at 9:22 AM, N e r V said:

I've always hated the sigs on the cover (well most of the time). I've seen a ton of SA books with their covers having those nice big Stan Lee sigs over the image. Hate it! Only do I accept it if the cover has a nice out of the way space that works and not a over the top signature in size. I've got a lot of books signed for years at SDCC by Lee, Kirby, Steranko, Adams, etc. and always made a point of getting them to sign the first page inside or in a cover space I selected for them to sign. Yes there were a few artists that got away with going big over something I wished they hadn't but I did my part at controlling their signings. Most were fine following directions.

I'm one of those people that think signing "Stan Lee" over Spider-Man on a AF #15 actually hurts the book. I'd probably follow that rule with any kids signing their books too although as mentioned it does add to the history and kids didn't know any better they were just marking their territory. Also in the case with something like Larson it really is tied to being part of that collection and know a certain amount of joy is taken by collectors with just seeing his name on your book and owning part of that/his history. 

Well said. That is exactly how I have got books signed over the years. Didn't need a "witness", didn't have to pay, and got a lot of great memories.

2 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

I LOVE IT!!! Seems that no sub-genre has gone untouched. So Richard, new challenge: if you can post a **sci-fi funny-animal horror western romance** cover, I'll buy one of your books at C2E2 (though not of the sci-fi funny-animal horror western romance kind) at C2E2. Or buy you a top-shelf whiskey...

They usually keep the Jack on the lower shelves. Looking forward to seeing you there!

17 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
On 4/9/2017 at 0:34 AM, Zolnerowich said:

I steer clear of ... funny animal books, western books, and definitely funny western animal books.

advmm18.jpg

Looks like this one is a superhero funny western animal book. hm

On 4/9/2017 at 4:33 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Rick, I'm with you on not minding a name written on the cover.  Whenever possible, I like to know something of the provenance of a book.  Sometimes I've picked up multiple books (non-pedigrees) with the same name on them.  I may not know anything about the person, but it's kind of neat knowing that I have several books from his or her collection.  In fact, for me, a good part of the appeal of CGC-sanctioned pedigrees is that (apart from the fact they are usually high grade) we know something about the owner and how the collection was assembled.

I've seen books with the cursive "a."  I've assumed they were a distributor's mark rather than a mark made by the owner, but you may be right.